Author Topic: Lifton surname  (Read 11398 times)

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lifton surname
« on: Thursday 29 November 12 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any info on the Lifton surname?
I have traced some family back to Pembrokeshire/Milford Haven area and then it stops there. There is no other information showing where the Lifton family originated from!?

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Lifton surname
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 12 09:48 GMT (UK) »
In the main during at least late 18th to 20th centuries you are looking at Hubberston and Steynton, dependent on which branch of the family you are searching, with odd references to the surname south of the river.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 12 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info, currently I am a Lifton who resides in the Bristol area.

Starting further back as 1818 I'll show you the tree roots. Father to father.

Issac Lifton         
Born      1/1818   
Place      W-O-T, Bristol   
Married      25/2/1848   
Place      Bedminster, Bristol   
Died      3/1885   
Place      Bristol   

Richard Lifton         
Born      1788   
Place      Milford, Pembrokshire   
Married      24/2/1816   
Place      St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol   
Died      9/1858   
Place      Clifton, Bristol   

William Lifton      
Born      1761
Place      Pembrokeshire, Wales
Married      
Place      
Died      3/1847
Place      

George Roy Lifton   (No Further Details)   

Is there any info on the family crest, someone stated in the family 'POCO A POCO' but this appears on the Liston family..?      

Did you have any further info on the odd references?   

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 12 16:56 GMT (UK) »
William Lifton mrd Martha Lewis at Hubberston 1785.

Confusion with the Liston surname is a new one on me, most common I have seen previous has been with the Lipton surname which was the situation when I helped out someone searching the surname years ago.

From my transcription of the parish registers of Pembroke St Mary for 1711 to the 1930's I note for your interest
01 Feb 1835 James Lifton otp a bach mrd Eliza Williams otp a spinster by banns in front of James Dalton. Both signed their names in the presence of Stephen Griffiths and George Froyne.

It is possible that Jacob Lifton is a brother to Isaac Lifton of Steynton, when Jacob mrd Ann Eggins at Hubberston in 1810.

Any further follow-up will have to await the re-opening of the R.O. next year.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 November 12 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Oriel thanks for your update, GYPO is kindly helping me out on this as well.

Is there any info on who William Liftons father is?
On the family tree I have it mentions Mary Richards marrying William.?

Offline searching-jo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 12 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I was really excited to read your posts as I am researching the Liftons from Pembrokeshire as part of my family tree. I have found many census records on Ancestry.co.uk but have also found it tricky to pin down William Lifton. He doesn't appear on census records until 1841 whereby he was 80 years old and living with Mary Richards and also, among others Esther Lifton, who i assume is either a daughter or grand-daughter. He states his occupation as 'Paper'. I have also found a marriage certificate for a William Lifton in Pembroke in 1844...I am still waiting for this to arrive in the post so I don't know if it is William Lifton (b. 1761) or a son/grandson.
The link with my family is via the Stallard family. It seems William had a daughter, Bridget Lifton, who married James Stallard... James Stallard is also not present on any census (just found him through the marriage certificate and children's names). Bridget lives with Mary Richards for most of her life. I'm confused who Mary Richards is. Did William's first wife die? There does seem to be a strong link with her though. She was a school-mistress so I'm wondering if they weren't allowed to marry as female teachers weren't supposed to in those days!
I have no further info on George Roy...only that he was born in London according to another member of ancestry.co.uk....although they have no evidence to sustantiate this. I'm hoping to find out more when the marriage certificate of William arrives...I will let you know.

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 December 12 09:08 GMT (UK) »
It is rather late but the following may be of interest ;
From my transcription of the parish registers of Monkton St Nicholas 1711 to the 1930’s I note the following
30 Sept 1876 George Robert Lifton age 23 a bach and shipwright of 5 Upper Laws Street Pembroke Dock St John the son of  George Lifton a Writer of HM Dockyard married Harriett Lockett aged 21 of Monkton the dau of Joseph Lockett a Writter in HM Dockyard by certificate in front of Henry Simpson Blink. Both signed their names in the presence of Joseph Lockett and William Henry Lockett.

From my transcription of the parish registers of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to the 1930’s I note the following
08 Dec 1830 Joseph to Jacob and Ann Lifton of the Dock a Shipwright baptized by James Dalton
08 Dec 1830 Matthew Robert to Jacob and Ann Lifton of the Dock a Shipwright by baptized by James Dalton
22 Mar 1835 Eliza to Jacob and Ann Lifton of the dock a Joiner baptized by James Dalton.

From the same transcription but for Mrge
02 Mar 1844 William Lifton of full age a bach and Shipwright of Pembroke Dock the son of Jacob Lifton a Shipwright mrd Ann Road of full aged a spinster of Pembroke Dock the dau of Robert Road a shipwright by certificate in front of William Lloyd. Both signed their names in the presence of John Road and George Froyne
(Note George Froyne was parish clerk at this time, a position that had been and would remain in the family for generations)
(Note Beware IGI gives wrong year of Mrge)

Paper = clearly means Pauper

From the same transcription but fur burial 1839 to 1882
William Lifton of the Dock buried 13 Feb 1842 aged 07 mths by James Dalton
William Lifton of West Gate buried 28 Aug 1860 age 03 mths by E. Edwards

From the same transcription but for burial 1883 to 1913
Thomas Lifton of the Union Workhouse buried 25 Apr 1902 aged 08 mths by Charles Hayward-Phillips

Since William son of Jacob was not baptized at Pembroke St Mary, I looked elsewhere, I note two baptism of a William Lifton 1 in 1824 to William & Elizabeth and one in 1828 at Steynton to parents unknown, it appears lightly then that the later may just be the William son of Jacob. I can double check for  free and easily if required.

William Lifton had mrd Elizabeth Richards at Hubberston 24 Jun 1813.

Given that the 1828 baptism of William at Steynton is to Jacob, this would then prove the connection between the Pembroke area and the Liftons of Hubberston - Steynton area back to the late 19th when William Lifton had mrd Martha Lewis at Hubberston in 1785.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
1946-2015

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 December 12 01:31 GMT (UK) »
William Lifton was born 1761(do we known exact date.?) in Pembrokeshire, and died 1847. He married Mary Richards.?

On the 1840 Cenus it states he was a Ropemaker. A lot of them were shipwrights.

Will be great to get more info on George Roy or Ray Lifton whom is possibly Wills father, be interesting to see what documents show they are linked etc...

Another rootschat member stated -  ( 1 )   George Lifton, b 1743 Pembrokeshire Wales.

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 13 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I managed to obtain further information.

One of the earliest baptisms is for a William Lifton son of William and Elizabeth – baptised on
5 Nov 1758.  There were two William Liftons in the late 18th and early 19th centuries however. 
It is not clear which of these two later Williams this baptism concerns.  One William was
married to Martha Lewis in 1785 and was described as ’boatman’ on one of his childrens’
baptism.  Some children of this couple were James [1786], Jacob [1789] and Elizabeth [1791]. 

The other William Lifton was married to a Mary Smith and possibly later an Anne Smith. 
He was described as ‘a labourer’ on the baptism of his children which included
Mary [1785], Richard [1788] William [1792].

I am related to the second William Lifton, (via Richard) however not known when he was born!?