Author Topic: Lifton surname  (Read 11355 times)

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lifton surname
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 17:38 BST (UK) »
It would be really useful to have but unknown where it is currently at the moment! I remember word in the family we originated from the village of Devon? But i never seen the proof!

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 October 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
Chatting to a family member the other day, someone did a tree. They managed to get back to a Ginger Lifton then supposedly went quiet? I cant find this person anywhere. I know Ginger is another name for Virginia and the england colonists in usa name their first child this, apart from that cant find much else. The person who did this tree said we came from branch of 'Poco A Poco'Liston? Im keeping open minded at the moment. There was no mention of us being in pembrokeshire either.......

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 November 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Since my last post here I am still stuck on the family history.

I been bought to the attention of the Listun (also prenounced Lisson/Liston) family of Bristol who seem to have links to Wales.
There are no actual records of this family name only in Church books. It appears that they were Baptists and Ministers.

Offline notfil

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 April 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
I am also descended from the Hubberston Liftons.  We have an oral history that was passed down to me that the Liftons were Jews who came to England from Flanders with a group of weavers. I wasn't told a date.  Weavers from Flanders moved to the UK over quite a long period of historic time and records show that these groups included Jews. The surname Lifton is a variant of Levitan that occurs in Lithuania and Poland.

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 April 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I remember hearing a similar story from a Lifton who lives in the USA.
I was informed that we were Whalers/Quakers from USA.
There appears to be different variants of the surname involving the Whalers/Quakers.

I have noted that Lisson was also spelt Liston/Lifton etc....

There is different lineages of Lissons and I have found that a group were French Huguenots who came over from Flanders and settled in Ireland around 1500s or before.

I read about the Huguenots descending from Sephardic Jews??

I know the Lifton in the USA has done a Y-DNA test, it shows that he is descended from the group 'PF5456', it states Roman/Phoenician dna?