Author Topic: mcdonnell dromiskin  (Read 6985 times)

Offline gavster1982

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mcdonnell dromiskin
« on: Thursday 29 November 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
my grandfather was born in dromiskin in 1928. his name was michael mcdonnell.

i have his family traced back to his great grandfather patrick who is in the tithe applotment books and griffiths valuation. i also have a parick mcdonnell as a resident of dromiskin in 1791 who may or may not be the aforementioned patricks grandfather.

if anyone has a connection to  the family i would love to hear from you.

Offline gavster1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: mcdonnell dromiskin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 13 17:07 GMT (UK) »
this is my great grandfather and his parents in 1901....

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Louth/Dromiskin/Dromiskin/1558607/

i believe the bridget was bridget martin but the dromiskin parish records are not on rootsireland.ie.

i believe that michaels father was also michael and that this is his parents in 1901...

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Louth/Dromiskin/Dromiskin_Village/1558806/

the mary here is not michaels mother. she was the second wife of the michael mac donnell aged 60 here.
it is this michael macdonnell aged 60 that i want to trace. i believe his first wife was a bridget savage.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
i believe the bridget was bridget martin but the dromiskin parish records are not on rootsireland.ie.

i believe that michaels father was also michael and that this is his parents in 1901...

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Louth/Dromiskin/Dromiskin_Village/1558806/

As far as I can see those McDonnells are RC, and the Catholic parish that covered the area would have been Darver.  (Dromiskin is the name of the town and the civil parish)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gavster1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 13 17:49 GMT (UK) »
the 188 marriage record for dromiskin shows that michaels fathers name is missing. looks like a trip to dromiskin is needed.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 January 13 17:51 GMT (UK) »
the 188 marriage record for dromiskin shows that michaels fathers name is missing. looks like a trip to dromiskin is needed.

part of the year fell off there!

If that was an RC marriage then it's not unusual to have no father's details on the record.

If the date in question is after 1864 then a civil cert is a better option.

see : Details included on a Civil Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gavster1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 January 13 21:15 GMT (UK) »
cannot find a birth cert for michael mc donnell/mcdonald born 1865ish in darver parish.

think his mother was bridget savage, but she died quite young so his father michael remarried, this time to a mary donnelly with whom he had 3 more children.

obviously im assuming michael born 1865ish was eldest son at least which bases his fathers marriage around 1860.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 January 13 21:34 GMT (UK) »
For civil birth certs for the Dromiskin area you need to check for the registration district, which is Dundalk. (The RC parish would only apply to baptisms)

see : Michael McDonnell birth, 1864-1870  (BMD Index on FamilySearch)

What details, BMD certs etc do you have on your McDonnell family ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline gavster1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 January 13 22:00 GMT (UK) »
story is that michael mcdonnell born 1865ish was the son of a michael mc donnell known around dundalk as Big Mick. This was due t stature and holding apprently. Big Mick would have been born in the early 1840s, and was alive in 1901 at least which is evident in the census.

his first wife was apparently a bridget savage, his second a mary donnelly (definite).

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 11:00 BST (UK) »
My 2xg-grandmother Bridget McDonnell of Christianstown was married in Dromiskin on 11 Jan 1865.  She was born about 1830.  Her husband was John Murphy of Dunmahon, and her father was Pat McDonnell, a farmer.  One of the witnesses was a Thomas McDonnell.  Do you think there is a connection?