Author Topic: George Jamesone, famous Aberdeen painter  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Jamieson

• RootsChat Member
  • Have camera can travel
    • View Profile
George Jamesone, famous Aberdeen painter
« on: Saturday 01 December 12 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I have come to a FULL STOP in my quest to find a link between my Patrick Jamesone and George Jamesone the Scottish "Van Dyke".

If any slueth, historian or researcher has nothing better to do over the cold winter months and would like a challenge please reply.

I have several leads which you may be able to follow where I have failed.

No one tempted to take this on?  :-[ :( ???

Patrick Jamesone was married, working as a weaver and living in Drumoak at the time of the 1690 Poll Tax.

Mary Jamesone, daug of George Jamesone went to live in Drumoak as the wife of James Gregory.

Mary Jamesone married 3 times and had several children. She may also have had an illigitimate son while in Drumoak as James Gregory was away from home often and for long periods.

Patrick may have been illigitimate.

Just a thought  ;D
Aberdeen Aberdeenshire Fyvie Drumoak Dalmaik Peterculter Birse Strachan Aboyne Huntly Banchory-Devenick  -  Jamieson Greig Forbes Tobin Gillespie Cheyne Thompson Donaldson Luke Mark Maitland Findlay Silver Bannerman McDonald

Offline Jamieson

• RootsChat Member
  • Have camera can travel
    • View Profile
Re: George Jamesone, famous Aberdeen painter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 December 12 01:54 GMT (UK) »
MARY JAMESONE

Mary was 17 when her mother died, but strangely in those days of early marriages, she stayed unwed for a further 10 years. During this time, it is assumed, she worked at her sewing.
Then on 12 April 1664, the diary of Revd John Rowe tells us: “…today John Burnet Dean of Guild and Marie Jameson were married.” John Burnet was a merchant adventurer, sailing with his goods to Virginia and shipping back tobacco, a vastly fashionable commodity at the time. Burnet had become rich and bought an estate, so was now Burnet of Elrick, and having been recently widowed, was in need of a wife to care for his three bairns. But the marriage was short-lived, for John died in 1666 leaving Mary to look after her own two babies and oversee the estate for her eldest stepson.

Life was soon to change for the busy young dowager, for into the frame now steps her illustrious cousin and childhood playmate, James Gregorie, mathematician and astronomer, lately returned from Padua where he had been ruffling a few canonical feathers with his ‘heretical’ pamphlets. Soon they were married, and Mary had to up sticks and move to St Andrews, where a new professorship in mathematics had been created for James.
A falling-out with the authorities caused the Gregories to move once more, this time to Edinburgh. James, ill-fated, was struck blind one night after showing his students the planet Jupiter through his new telescope. He died three days later.
Mary moved north, where in no time at all she married again, this time to a hard-headed merchant with Baltic connection, by name of George Aedie. The tapestries were lent to the Kirk, ‘for the decorement of the King’s Loft…”
But Mary’s time was running out, and in 1684 she died, her husband paying 20 merks for the ringing of the Kirk bells at her funeral. In August 1688 the Master of Kirk and Brig Works purchased the tapestries, in the name of the Council, from Baillie George Aedie for £400 Scots. They were itemized as ‘Four Pieces of Tapestrie’ or ‘Hangings for the decorement of the King’s loft in the Nicholas Kirk in dayes of Solemnitie.”

Info gathered from more than one source on Mary Jamesone.....I will post what I have on George Jamesone, Mary's father.
Aberdeen Aberdeenshire Fyvie Drumoak Dalmaik Peterculter Birse Strachan Aboyne Huntly Banchory-Devenick  -  Jamieson Greig Forbes Tobin Gillespie Cheyne Thompson Donaldson Luke Mark Maitland Findlay Silver Bannerman McDonald

Offline Jamieson

• RootsChat Member
  • Have camera can travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 December 12 02:11 GMT (UK) »

Somewhere in the records it states that George Jamesone had several sons and several daughters. The exact details of who survived depends on who did the research.

The following entry in the council records of Aberdeen relates to the birth of one of Jamesone’s children: "1629 yeires – George Jamesone and – Toche, ane sone, baptized by Mr Robert Baron the 27th day of July, callit William: Mr Patrick Done, Robert Alexander, Andrew Meldrum, William Gordone (William Gordone appears to be the name-father), god-fathers." The next notice of him which we find in the same authority shows, that on the 2nd January 1630, he was present at the baptism of a child of "James Toshe," probably a relation of his wife, at which, it may be mentioned, William Forbes, bishop of Edinburgh, officiated. In October of the same year we find him again demanding a similar duty for his own family. "October, 1630 yeires George Jamesone and Isobell Toshe, ane sone, baptized the 27th day, callit Paull; Paull Menzies of Kinmundie, provest, Mr Alexander Jaffray, bailzie, Mr David Wedderburn, Mr Robert Patric, Patrick Jack, Patrick Fergusson, Andrew Strachan, godfathers." This is a curious evidence of Jamesone’s respectability as a citizen. Paul, afterwards Sir Paul Menzies, a man of considerable note in Aberdeenshire, and provost of the city, appears to have been name-father, and Alexander Jaffrey, another of the sponsors, was himself afterwards provost. The extractor of these entries remarks, that the chief magistrate appears to have acted as sponsor only at the baptisms of children of very influential citizens.

My point here is that there are several "Patricks" in the Jamesones circle of friends. As was the practice a Godfather was also the namegiver as mentioned above. Makes sense to assume then that when Mary sought a godfather for her son she asked a friend of the family...that must have been one of the Patricks. Thus my 8th Great Grandfather Patrick Jamesone from Drumoak.

Offline Jamieson

• RootsChat Member
  • Have camera can travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 December 12 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Mary Jamesone

Mary Jamesone was born abt 1637 in Aberdeen. She was the daughter of George Jamesone and Isabella Tosche. George and Isabella had more than the one child but only Mary survived to adulthood. The children who did not survive were

1.   William, Christened: 27 July 1629, Saint Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland
2.   Pawll, Christened: 27 October 1630, Saint Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland
3.   George, Christened: 31 January 1633, Saint Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland
4.   Andro, Christened: 12 June 1635, Saint Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland
5.   Alexander, Christened: 18 August 1636, Saint Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland
6.   Elizabeth, Christened: 6 February 1639, Saint Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland

George Jamesone was a highly regarded portrait painter and had studios both in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. One can imagine he was hardly ever at home. However it is not unlikely that George and Isabella doted on their only surviving child. Sadly though George died in the winter of 1644 when Mary was only 7 years old.

The Jamesone house on the Schoolhill

Aberdeen was a dangerous place during Mary’s childhood, the religious wars were in full swing and Montrose was menacing the town, first at the head of a Covenanter army, then, leading a rabble of mercenaries in support of the king. On each occasion the townsfolk bore the brunt, but in the fortress-like Jamesone house on the Schoolhill, the women would have been safe at their needlework with the child looking on.

Mary was 17 when her mother died in 1654, but strangely in those days of early marriages, she stayed unwed for a further 10 years. During this time, it is assumed, she worked at her sewing.

Then on 12 April 1664, the diary of Revd. John Rowe tells us: “…today John Burnet Dean of Guild and Marie Jamesone were married.” John Burnet was a merchant adventurer, sailing with his goods to Virginia and shipping back tobacco, a vastly fashionable commodity at the time. Burnet had become rich and bought an estate, so was now Burnet of Elrick, and having been recently widowed, was in need of a wife to care for his three bairns. But the marriage was short-lived, for John died in 1666 leaving Mary to look after her own two babies and oversee the estate for her eldest stepson.

Mary’s Husbands

Marriage (1): BURNET, John of Elrick on 12 April 1664 in Saint Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland
Marriage (2): GREGORY, James F.R.S. in 1669
Marriage (3): AEDIE, George on 28 October 1677 in Saint Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland

Marriage (1) to John Burnet did not last long. John died two years after they married. He did however provide Mary with 2 sons,

1.   George, born abt 10 June 1665. Died: before 1684
2.   Robert, born circa 1666.

Mary was John Burnet’s second wife, the first was Marjorie Howesone. Marjorie provided John with several children before her death in 1662.

1.   Androw, Christened: 29 May 1649, Aberdeen, Scotland
2.   Rachel, Christened: 12 April 1653, Aberdeen, Scotland
3.   Catherin, Christened: 4 May 1654, Aberdeen, Scotland. Married James Strachan 8 March 1676.
4.   Alexander, Christened: 8 July 1655, Aberdeen, Scotland
5.   John, Christened: 12 March 1657, Aberdeen, Scotland. Died before 1660.
6.   Elspet, Christened: 10 June 1658, Aberdeen, Scotland
7.   Isobell, Christened: 26 June 1659, Aberdeen, Scotland
8.   John, Christened: 23 October 1660, Aberdeen, Scotland. This was the 2nd son called John.
9.   Christen, Christened: 9 January 1662, Aberdeen, Scotland

Of the nine children born to Marjorie and John Burnet we are led to believe only 3 survived. Include those with the 2 born to Mary and John Burnet, then poor Mary was left to take care of 5 children after John died in 1666.

As mention before the accuracy of the research is questionable. Some say more then Mary survived and that Elizabeth went on to live a long life with children of her own.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan,

I'm afraid that I can't help you much with your query. I may also be able to "claim" George Jamesone as an ancestor too. It all depends on if my link to the Aedie's is correct (see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,63621.msg258536.html#msg258536 hopefully link works).

Anyway i'm sure you'll know that George's father Andrew was the builder of "Jamieson's House" and it is believed Provost Ross house. Most of my research has been on the internet; a good genealogical site is http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Aedie/jamesone.html

As I said it is a tenuous link but I can send you what little I have if you PM me with your email.

Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes