Author Topic: charles stavely canada 1896  (Read 29989 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: charles stavely canada 1896
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:00 GMT (UK) »
JJ -- when anneelaine said in the other forum:

"i do have a photo of him he was a violin maker in canada be 4 the army"

I think those were two different things
- she has a photo of him
- he was a viiolin maker in Canada

(We may have sorted that out by now. ;) )

I assume that his occupation, violin maker, is what was stated on your mum's birth certificate, anneelaine? Or is that family knowledge?

Again, it would help to know exactly what her birth certificate says, for his occupation.

We assume your mum's birth was registered in her mother's surname, so I guess whatever was put on the birth certificate would just be what her mother knew about him, as accurate as that might have been.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:05 GMT (UK) »
lilybell
was the passenger list you found an incoming or outgoing passenger list and can you tell us the ports to and from.

I have been going through the census info for Canada and even scrolled through some of the baptism records for Quebec but cannot find a Chas/Charles Stavely/Staveley or other similar names.

I don't have access to incoming passenger lists at A******y but is it possible that he was born in Canda but returned with parents to England as a chld or young adult between census info. Most of the Stavely/Staveley surnames seem to be associated with Quebec/Montreal and a few in Ontario and the western provinces but the census info for 1881-1911 really have very few to look at and few in the age range given. There was A Rolph but he died in WW1 in 1916 or 1917. Birth/baptism for the province of Quebec will only be available at A*** throught the Druin collection or through family search by browsing through baptisms by area.

There is a Charle Staveley in Joliette, Montcalm, Quebec showing on the Canada voters list for 1962 but I also don't have access to that either to confirm. That is the only year he appears to show up in Canada.

If someone has access to the 1911 census for England, it may be wise to search for him on it.

I am also having problems trying to determine the uniform, wish we had a hat and badge as that would be easier. In the picture he definitely looks young, perhaps even born around or after 1900 and lied about his age to enlist in Britain. That happened a lot.

Will keep looking. The Canadian military records and Attestation papers are usually in pretty good shape with not a lot of transcription errors so if he was in the Canadian military we should be able to find him. Another possiblity is he was born in Canada and the family went stateside or to another country.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:11 GMT (UK) »
There's nothing to note in the 1911 English census other than some of the Charles-s whose births and other details I posted above, unfortunately. The Charles William Stavely I mentioned is with his parents in Newcastle, an insurance clerk aged 15.

FindMyPast does show a Charles Staveley born abt 1885 in overseas military in India:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X7VW-S2S

The image is available at FindMyPast and should indicate what regiment he was in.

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx?4

I wish we knew how anneelaine knows his age, among other things ...

Re the Charles William STAVELY -- he was in WWI in the Royal Army Medical Corps; Anc'y shows a medal card for him.

There are two cards for the name, with different medals, and the other one indicates that the medals were returned because they were claimed in error, so it looks like there was a mix-up.

Both have the same info on them (private RMAC, reg number 64856, but the one with the return notation is spelled STAVELY with a notation saying Staveley, and the other one is spelled STAVELEY with a notation saying Stavely.

But the only Charles W Stavel*y born in England/Wales 1880-1900 was the one I noted, so was there actually another one??

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:16 GMT (UK) »
There are a lot of questions on this thread, aren't there?  I'm adding another one, sorry.

I've posted a couple of photos on RootsChat.  In both cases, my original is actually better quality than the posted image.  Is it possible, anneelaine, to see the letters on the "shoulder title"?  When scrutinizing my own family photo, I used a magnifying glass to determine a coin in a photo, and it helped.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
For info:

The birth of a Charles Staveley was registered in March quarter 1897 in Bridlington. He died in 1981 in Scarborough (dob 1 December 1896).

Anc tree gives a Charles Staveley born March 1897 in North Burton, Bridlington, E. Yorks.
Son of John Staveley Moody  ???  21 Dec 1869 in Speeton, Bridlington, E. Yorkshire
and died 7 Apr 1929 in Scarborough, Yorkshire North Riding and mother Margaret Ann Vickerman - Birth Oct 1872 in Hunmanby, Bridlington, E. Yorks and died Jun 1960 in Scarborough, Yorkshire North Riding.

They appear in Scalby St Lawrence. Scarborough in the 1901 census under Staverey (someone has made the correction)

John Staverey 31  Margaret Ann Staverey 28  Nellie Staverey 7 years born March 1894 in Speeton, Bridlington, E. Yorks and  Charles Staverey 4

further children born to the couple Florence Mary Staveley 1902 and Ronald in 1907.

Sandra

Added This particular Charles was a Waggoner (farm) in 1911
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:21 GMT (UK) »
While "family tales" sometimes are not correct, sometimes there is a ring of truth.  If he was a violin maker, I might guess that it was an occupation that was either carried down, or that he possible learned at a young age as an apprentice?  Would we be able to find an family members who might have had that trade, or something similar?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
In 1911 a Walter Staveley, 34, in Lancs, was a musician. That's the closest I find, and that couple had only married in 1906. In 1901, Anc'y calls him Spanley, and there is no Charles in the family. But father James is a musical instrument dealer. Could be promising.

My gr-grfather was a piano tuner in the census when he was 13 and later a musician. But that was a generation before our Charles, and he might have been a little young in 1911 to be in the trade yet.

re Charles the son of John and Margaret -- John was a farm labourer in 1901.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:54 GMT (UK) »
But I like mine better!

Charles W Stavely in 1901 (Ancy' calls him Charles Don Staveley) in Newcastle -- his father Charles is a Pianoforte Tuner! born in France, age 39.

James Staveley, the father of Walter above, was 52 in 1901, a musical instrument dealer, and born in Preston. I would not be surprised if he and Charles Sr were fairly closely related, though.

um ... how come Charles W Stavely of Newcastle has father Charles in 1901 and father John in 1911?

Huh. In 1911, he and his sister Rhoda are children of John and Mary Buddle; the children are hers.

- edit - My mistake: Mary Buddle is the widowed and remarried Mary Stavely from 1901.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I've just realized that anneelaine did spell it STAVELY in the subject line and her first post, and after that said "Charles STAVELEY was born and lived in Canada".

I like my Charles William Stavely born in Newcastle in 1895, married in 1922, died in 1986, more all the time. ;)

Someone at the GenesReunited website has Charles Stavely and his sister Rhoda (and their father Charles born in France) in their family tree.