Author Topic: Dorcas PERRY - missing census record  (Read 4162 times)

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dorcas PERRY - missing census record
« on: Monday 03 December 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
hi i've found a ref to my 3x great grandmum via a christening record (paternal grandmother) and after much searching i found a death record for pewsey which is the right area:  apr 1843 pewsey wilts, and the wilts bmd ref said she was 68. Obviously i can buy this record which may show something up, and i've had no luck finding a birth or marriage for her (or her son thomas perry my 2x gr grandfather), but i figured she would be on the census somewhere.  I've looked right through the charlton and rushall censuses for any dorcas christian names but no luck.  Beyond the possibility of them living, working or registering outside of my search area, plus missing records perhaps, i'm wondering whether she could be in a poor house or due to her age, somewhere off the normal 1841 census. Any ideas where i could look??

Her son thomas and his family, my initial interest, live in the charlton st peter area with dozens of other perry's which i'm slowly tidying up.  :D

appreciate any help thanks
Perry- wilts, sussex and hants
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: dorcas perry - missing census record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 December 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Her age at death - which are quite often inaccurate -  gives a birth year of about 1775.  I assume Thomas Perry her son is the one living in Charlton in 1851.  His year of birth is given as about 1792.  That would make his mother only 16/17 at the time of his birth, so I doubt she was married then.  I haven't found her yet.

There is a Thomas Perrey (with an e) on the 1841 census living in Rushall with wife Mary and lots of children, ref HO107 piece 1186 folio 9/5 page 5 is that your missing Thomas?

I'm a bit confused about your ref to your 3 x g.grandmother via a christening record of your grandmother.  That would make Dorcas your grandmother's x g.grandmother.  Why would she be listed on a christening record?

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 December 12 14:41 GMT (UK) »
sorry no, the dissenters christening record was for 2 of thomas's children, but it stated the grandparents (1 of each side of family) and parents. john maslen and dorcas perry being the grandparents. 

Thomas perry according to 1841c where he is at charlton st peter with wife elizabeth and numerous children and sister in law. all of thomas's census records say bn shrewton abt 1811.

i am aware that there are many thomas perry's from reading the censuses and the parish baptism cd's, hopefully it will prove helpful but i'm still too deep in the perry fog to make sense of them lol. When i've tidied my perry spreadsheet i'll update my perry thread, but dorcas is a new lead. If i can find her census or other records it could really unravel things.
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 December 12 15:11 GMT (UK) »
OK, so Dorcas was about 36 when Thomas was born so probably married.  Shrewton is not far from Hampshire, also Somerset to the east and Dorset to the south.  So Dorcas could have come from any of those places, bearing in mind that country people went to different places for work.

Lizzie

Offline west

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 December 12 20:54 GMT (UK) »

Have noticed this marriage in the Shrewton transcriptions which might be worth investigating, I will list it for you to consider.

2 Sept 1810. John Perior. OTP. By Banns. Dorcas Turner. OTP. Shrewon.

Hope this might be of some use.

West.
Wilts; Willis/Paintin;
Gloucs; Willis.Westbury on Seven.Hathaway Churcham.Sterry Westbury.
Glam; Hopkin.Daniel.Gethin.Brooks
Devon; Jackson.

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 December 12 22:05 GMT (UK) »

Have noticed this marriage in the Shrewton transcriptions which might be worth investigating, I will list it for you to consider.

2 Sept 1810. John Perior. OTP. By Banns. Dorcas Turner. OTP. Shrewon.

Hope this might be of some use.

West.

yes i noticed this also, interesting for the dorcas reference, the groom surname which could be a derivative of perry, shrewton where thomas was born and also the date which is the year before thomas was bn although i've yet to prove his dob.
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
i forgot there is the small matter of a headstone to think about. I haven't done much death/burial or church searching so this is a good place to start.
The death index is for pewsey, dorcas perry june 1843 v8 p 291, so where would i start to look from here? Are there burial resources for wilts other than FindMyPast which had nothing by christian name? It's possible that a headstone might have other family info than that of a death cert i'm thinking. How can i narrow things down from pewsey?

i had a look on FindMyPast and found a ref to a marriage in walcott st mary, somerset but this was to a george jones and i've found no other ref to this on main sites. It was a dorcas perry atleast and these are pretty thin on the ground, it may offer something back up the family line if i look.

i had a look on the wiltshire links for workhouses but it looks like the pewsey workhouse had few early records and had only been set up a few years before the 1841 census.  The workhouse site has an 1881 census but that is it.  I note also that the pewsey and devizes workhouses gave reference to an 1831 census, be that for resident numbers rather than names i don't know.  Does anyone know what this 1831 census is? OK i've found the answer to that. Also did ireland have census records?

appreciate any help thanks
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I think this baptism record for Thomas Perrior, son of John and Dorcas, born and baptised in 1811 in Shrewton, is a pretty perfect match for your Thomas and the marriage posted above:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/ND1P-FRJ

There is also a son William 1812:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NBGG-ZB3

(He looks like William Perry 1813 in Charlton in 1851.)

Maddington = Shrewton -- could she have been Dorcas Presly, previously married (1801) to John Turner, given that an 1810 marriage seems to be a little late for her apparent age?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NK73-T6Y

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 December 12 01:00 GMT (UK) »
I just hate an unfindable person!

(Well, I love one, actually -- but to a point. ;) )

Do you suppose she may just have hated her name? (I know what my nephew's response was when he was about 15 and learned he had a greatx3 grandmother named Dorcas. I'm not sure which he liked better, that or his greatx2 grandmother Alice Cooper.)

1841 in Netheravon, Charlton, Wiltshire:

John Perry, 55, ag lab
Tabitha Perry, 60 (c 1777-81)

There is no Tabitha Perry death recorded to match the above TP.

Especially if I was right that Dorcas Turner was a widow when she married John Perrior, the age difference could fit, as well. And there'd be nothing to stop a gal who was older than her husband from minimizing the difference a bit.

John Perry also seems to have died by 1851.

The name of the informant on Dorcas Perry's death certificate could help considerably -- if it was her husband, in particular. You might also want to submit a correction to FreeBMD, since her death entry is now shown as "Dorca_" and it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't find it.
;)

In the 1841 census, there are three young Perrys on the facing page:

Elizabeth 18
John 15
Frederick 14

and one might think they were related, if that could help. Yes, as suspected -- the household is headed by a Blackman couple:

John 35, ag lab
Mary 45

and she was Mary Perry; married in 1831 so the children may have been hers from a previous marriage, argh:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NKQY-R8V

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?