Author Topic: Bridget and Thomas Levy/Lever  (Read 18264 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget and Thomas Levy/Lever
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 December 12 06:12 GMT (UK) »
I found a Bridget Leaves also on the Matilda and it said she was married to someone in the 48th Regiment, but I can`t decipher the name

I think it says "Wife of Leaver, Trumpeter to 48th R(egiment)"

Debra  :D

Offline gail55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 December 12 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debra-no I don`t have those orphanage documents, but will get them and the other sites were good too....and very bright and there is a LOT of reading there ! I think you are right about the "trumpeter" I was looking for a name-not a musician!Thanks again-Gail

Offline KerryKat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 December 12 02:14 GMT (UK) »
I am also a descendant of Bridget & Thomas. My lineage is from Anne's marriage to John Hurley. I do have quite a bit of info which I am happy to share. Bridget came free on the "Matilda" as the "wife" of Thomas Leaver, a trumpheter with the 48th Regiment of Foot which had been stationed in Ireland and was then sent to Australia. Whether Bridget & Thomas ever married is debateable because on arrival in Australia she was only 16-17, & possibly saw the trip to Asutralia as a way out of the poor life in Ireland.  Anne was born in 1820 & was placed in the orphanage in 1825. Bridget died of "who-knows-what" in 1826 after having lived a life of grog, men etc. after arriving in Australia. The information you have about the murder of Happy Filler is all correct, and the acquital came about because although they were as guilty as sin, they were all too drunk to remember exactly what happened & who did what.
Anne's 3 marriages were: (1) John Hurley, (2) Thomas Kelly, & (3) William Linford/Lynford. She lived a colourful life & ended up living in Braidwood where her house is now classified by the National Trust. She is buried in Braidwood cem. Ann had various affairs with bushrangers over the years. She had a total of 12 children that we know of. In her latter years she seems to have redeemed her reputation. Please feel free to write to my private email:
(*)
Regards, Kerry

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Patrick O'Connor - Co. Galway, Ireland
Wark(e) - Tartnakelly, Limavady, Derry, N/Ireland
Heggarty - Bovally, Co.Derry, N/Ireland
Hurley- Horningsham, England
Levy/Leaver/Lever - Bolton, England
McCarthy - Balinasloe, Co. Galway, Ireland

Offline sandav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 July 13 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, am looking into family history for sister-in-law. Have traced back from a John Charles Hurley who died in Clifton, Queensland in1906 who was married to Winifred Flanagan. On his death certificate it states his parents as Timothy Hurley and mother Ann. From other people researching they are saying he could be son of John Hurley and Ann Levy. From a history given by a granddaughter of John Hurley and Winifred Flanagan she states that she thought John Hurley was born in Belfast , Northern Ireland. If anyone has proof that the Clifton John Hurley is indeed from the Ann Levy line I would love to pass this on to my sister-in-law. Thankyou

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 July 13 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, am looking into family history for sister-in-law. Have traced back from a John Charles Hurley who died in Clifton, Queensland in1906 who was married to Winifred Flanagan. On his death certificate it states his parents as Timothy Hurley and mother Ann. From other people researching they are saying he could be son of John Hurley and Ann Levy. From a history given by a granddaughter of John Hurley and Winifred Flanagan she states that she thought John Hurley was born in Belfast , Northern Ireland. If anyone has proof that the Clifton John Hurley is indeed from the Ann Levy line I would love to pass this on to my sister-in-law. Thankyou

Their marriage certificate shows the following:

John HURLEY m. Winifred BROGAN  27 Oct 1897, St Mary's, Tenterfield #8584
Father's Name: John HURLEY
Mother's Name: Anne LEVY
Spouse's Father's Name: Michael FLANAGAN
Spouse's Mother's Name: Mary BRENNAN

Winifred was married previously:

BROGAN James m. FLANAGAN Winifred 1867 QUEANBEYAN #2927

Offline sandav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 July 13 01:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I am finding out how our ancestors changed their stories to give themselves a chance at a new life. Any other info on John Hurley and Winifred Flanagan/Brogan/Hurley and their journeys through NSW would be greatly appreciated. Regards Sandav

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 July 13 03:20 BST (UK) »
Between 1871 and 1876 WINIFRED FLANAGAN had a anumber of children in the Braidwood and Cooma area.
No father is listed

The death of Winifred-

Yr 1930 REG B10775   
Winifred   Hurley Father   Daniel or Denis Flanagan
Mother   Mary

Here is an obituary

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/21521625?searchTerm="Winifred hurley"&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||fromdd|||frommm|||fromyyyy=1930|||todd|||tomm|||toyyyy=1930|||l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||sortby

One of the births in NSW before her marriage to HURLEY

9870/1875 FLANAGAN, ANN REBECCA
 Mother    WINIFRED
 COOMA

Marriage in QLD

Yr 1898 REG C497
Hurley,   Ann Rebecca to   Conlon   William

So it seems the children were given the HURLEY name after the marriage

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 July 13 04:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I am finding out how our ancestors changed their stories to give themselves a chance at a new life. Any other info on John Hurley and Winifred Flanagan/Brogan/Hurley and their journeys through NSW would be greatly appreciated. Regards Sandav

You can search here for the deaths of the children whose parents are listed as JOHN and WINIFRED HURLEY.

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/mainMenuSubmit.m?main_menu=IndexSearch

A number of the names will tally with the NSW exnuptial births to WINIFRED FLANAGAN.

They will also tie in with the married names for daughters mentioned in the Obituary.

Here is a news item which places the couple in, Clfton QLD by July 1897

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/76574094?searchTerm="winifred hurley"&searchLimits=

There were 2 more births before the marriage using the surname HURLEY

REG 13342/1880    HURLEY    John Charles
 JOHN CHARLES
 WINIFRED
 DUBBO   

REG 11534/1881    HURLEY    Thomas William
JOHN CHARLES
WINIFRED
DUBBO   

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 July 13 07:34 BST (UK) »
Did you need Monumental Inscriptions?

HURLEY, John Charles , d. 14.10.1906, , husband of Winifred HURLEY. b. 01.01.1839.
 with son Thomas W. HURLEY., MI at Clifton

HURLEY, Thomas William , d. 12.05.1900, , b. 23.06.1881., MI at Clifton

HURLEY, Francis Clifton , no details, , Interred. Sth. Brisbane Cem., MI at Clifton.

Sue