Author Topic: William Henry Stanley & Family  (Read 2092 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Henry Stanley & Family
« on: Wednesday 05 December 12 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone find anymore info on this family:

1901 1 Belgrave Street, St Pancras

Kathleen Stanley, Wife, married, 26, Wife of William Henry Stanley, Publican's manager, Guildford, Surrey
Beatrice Stanley, dau, 2, Islington, Middlesex

1901 11 September St Mark's, Clerkenwell
Beatrice, dau of William Henry and Kathleen Stanley, of 136 Rosebury Avenue, Commercial Traveller, born 19 March 1899

1902 10 August St Bartholomews, Greys Inn
"William Norman, son of William Henry & Kathleen Stanley, 136 Rosebury Square, Commercial Traveller, born 27th July 1902

1911 6 Mitre Street, Aldgate, E.C

William Henry Stanley, Head, 60, Married 15 years, 2 children, both living, Commercial Traveller (General), Woolwich, Kent
Kathleen Stanley, Wife, 38, Guildford, Surrey
Beatrice Stanley, dau, 12, School, London Islington
William Norman Stanley, son, 8, London Holborn

Can find no marriage information for the couple or any information for them before 1901 or after 1911. An online tree at Ancestry has some details for their son William, he died in 1931, married with one child. This tree also suggests Kathleen's full  maiden name was Kathleen Ellen Jones.

Any help, particularly identifying William Henry further, would be much appreciated.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Stanley & Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 12:39 GMT (UK) »
You will probably be best getting a birth cert for one of the children to find out for sure what kathleens previous name was.

1891 has numerous Kathleens bn Guilford around 1875, but none are Jones!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizdb

Yes could not find a Kathleen Jones registered in Guildford either so I am slightly suspect of that info.

Neither can I find a William Henry Stanley registered around 1851 in Greenwich which would have covered Woolwich

Nearest are

Henry William Stanley    Jul-Aug-Sep 1856    Greenwich    London
William Henry Stanley    Jan-Feb-Mar 1859    Greenwich    London

There is a Henry Stanley, aged 44, in 1901, down as a manager and barman in Statford, Bow, which would seem to fit with the info Kathleen gives that year, however that age is 6 years younger than he appears in 1911 and the place of birth differs he gives Clapham, Surrey. Also describes himself as single, so not at all sure that is the same man but cannot see any other obvious alternatives.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Liz,that you'd be best getting a birth cert to find out mum's maiden name.

This seems to be Beatrice's.

Births Jun 1899   

Stanley    Beatrice         Islington    1b   341

There isn't an obvious marriage bewteen William and Kathleen that fits,so it may be that her maiden name is in fact Stanley and it's so called hubby who has changed his to fit.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

I might order the cert at some point, but this is not my own tree, so reluctant to do so just yet. The mother's maiden name isn't that important to me. It's more William Henry Stanley I'm chasing. I have a man of the same name elsewhere who disappears from his wife and family around 1889. His wife never remarried, but claimed to be widowed and took another mans surname, but when his daughter married in 1910 she stated he was still alive and his occupation was a 'Commercial Traveller'.

In 1911 this was the only William Henry Stanley anywhere in England following that trade, and the fact he never appears to have married Kathleen either, was alot odler than her, and their relationship began around the right time, makes me think it may well be him. Only problem is the birthplaces of these two men don't match at all (could have lied) but more of a worry for me is this mans signature on the 1911 doesn't seem to be a match to the other mans on his wedding in the 1860's. He was a clerk so definitely literate and would have signed both himself rather than get somebody to do it on his behalf.

I was hoping if somebody could find this William Henry in 1861-81, when I know the man I'm searching for was elsewhere, I could rule him out entirely.

Offline ltough80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 November 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Know that this post was made a little while ago, however I wanted to see if you had managed to solve the mystery of William Henry Stanley? I am researching the same family tree and was interested to see if we could share any information/theories?

I think the Kathleen Jones could be Kate Jones born Guildford in 1874 - I have found her in Spalding, Lincolnshire with connections to the Stanley family. This could be coincidence but am also trying to find out if there are links to William Henry.

Any help much appreciated, as I am struggling to find any William Henry Stanley's before 1911?

Lauren

Lauren
Interested in Tough family of Sunderland/Aberdeen, Hutchinson family of Crossgate, Durham, Elmy family of Suffolk, Watson family of Sunderland, Smith family of Hacheston, Suffolk, Borrett family of Diss, Norfolk, Davey family of Houghton, Durham

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 November 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Liz,that you'd be best getting a birth cert to find out mum's maiden name.

This seems to be Beatrice's.

Births Jun 1899   

Stanley    Beatrice         Islington    1b   341

There isn't an obvious marriage bewteen William and Kathleen that fits,so it may be that her maiden name is in fact Stanley and it's so called hubby who has changed his to fit.

Carol

I have found that the mothers maiden name of this child was Jones.
Thanks to the new info added to the GRO indexes.

The same mothers maiden name as this child too.

STANLEY, WILLIAM  NORMAN     MMN JONES     
GRO Reference: 1902  S Quarter in HOLBORN  Volume 01B  Page 654

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 November 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Lauren.

Richarde has recently been on the website,so should be notified that you have posted here and hopefully he'll come back online and tell us what he's found  ;D

Carol

Offline ltough80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 November 16 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol. I ordered son William Norman's birth certificate which confirmed the Jones name but the only close record I could find that seemed possible was the 1874 Kate Jones record. It seems a bit too coincidental that this Kate Jones was then connected to a Stanley family and even went by the name Stanley for a while herself but have nothing certain that links it all together.

Am wondering if the idea mentioned about William Henry changing his name and taking Kate's could be a good possibility?

Speak soon
Interested in Tough family of Sunderland/Aberdeen, Hutchinson family of Crossgate, Durham, Elmy family of Suffolk, Watson family of Sunderland, Smith family of Hacheston, Suffolk, Borrett family of Diss, Norfolk, Davey family of Houghton, Durham