Author Topic: The ship Tyrolia 1914 Emmigration to Canada  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The ship Tyrolia 1914 Emmigration to Canada
« on: Wednesday 05 December 12 14:05 GMT (UK) »
HI Everyone.

Need your help, how do I go about getting information on an emmigration passenger to Canada, The info I am looking for is the emmigration paperwork, the details I do have is the passenger list,as follows. I am trying to confirm if this is my Grandad, who did go to Canada around that time

Ship Tyrolia
sailing from Liverpool 1914 destination St John New Brunswick Canada.
arriving on the 2nd April.
Passenger John Patrick Griffin Married age 30yrs Gen Lab, going to Winnepeg Manitoba.

Hope you can help  Kind regards  Scouse
Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,
Liverpool. Ireland. Scotland. New Zealand.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The ship Tyrolia 1914 Emmigration to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. More questions than answers to start with  :).

I see from the passenger manifest that John was married? Would his wife and any children that he had have followed him to Canada? Or did he return to the UK? Have you looked for his wife and any children on a later passenger list. The husband very often went ahead to establish himself and then send for the family later.

Someone may correct me, but as far as I know there would be no immigration info other than what is on the passenger manifest. Canada was part of the British Empire at that time and folks were free to move between one part and another.

If he stayed in Canada, the 1921 Canada census is due to be released in 2013 and that may be of some help to you.

You can check for BMDs at this link subject to the privacy laws.

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 12 00:05 GMT (UK) »
The 1916 Manitoba census is available on Ancestry: I'm not sure how detailed the information is, but might be worth a look.

The Manitoba Vital Statistics website provides searches for deaths over 70 years ago, which might just help you. (Marriages over 80 and births over 100 years ago, too). See http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 December 12 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reminder about the 1916 census, Graham. I had forgotten about it.

I had a look and don't see a John Griffin that matches the info given. This census only covers part of Canada, however, and he could have moved away from the prairie provinces before the census was taken.

John Griffin seems to be a relatively common name all across Canada in the voters lists.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lovesdogs

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 May 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Mr. Scouse, I just saw your post regarding the Tyrolia and April 2nd 1914 date.  I am in Canada and have information that my grandmother came on this voyage from Liverpool, UK; however the ship passenger manifest that I saw, stated the ship docked in St.  Johns, Newfoundland.  I do know from my mother who is 96 and still living, is that my grandmother stated, they had a very stormy crossing and had to temporarily take evasive measures from a bad storm and the voyage took longer than expected. We think she must have taken another ship up the Great Lakes, as she lived her whole life in Southern Ontario.  At that time, they would have had to go to the mainland (Nova Scotia/Halifax or possibly New Brunswick, to get a train west.  Not sure how likely that would have been in 1914 with war imminent. Kindest regards.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 May 18 04:47 BST (UK) »
There is a John Patrick Griffin marriage to Catherine Robinson in 1910.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DX3-NMH

Maybe a child...

GRIFFIN, WINIFRED        ROBINSON      
GRO Reference: 1914  J Quarter in WEST DERBY  Volume 08B  Page 1154