Author Topic: Is he the machine gunner? help needed please  (Read 3687 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Is he the machine gunner? help needed please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 December 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham, many thanks for that, as you say it would make sense and his death at 35 years could well have been contributed to by being gassed which is the other part of family belief.
I find it sad that he died at a young age possibly due to injuries caused in that awful conflict, as many more young men of his age did, but on a happier note his elder brother who signed up at the same time in Rawcliffe survived the war and lived to the age of 75.
Regards always,
jess5athome
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 December 12 23:36 GMT (UK) »
his death at 35 years could well have been contributed to by being gassed which is the other part of family belief.

You might find evidence to support this on his death certificate, or if you can find an obituary in the local paper. It's the local paper that told me about gas being a contributory factor in my great-uncle's death in 1925, although he was significantly older, being 59 when he died.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 December 12 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I find it sad that he died at a young age possibly due to injuries caused in that awful conflict, as many more young men of his age did

One fact that still shocks me, if I have it right:

Since the start of the 20th century there was only one year – 1968 – in which British soldiers have not been killed in action.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 December 12 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken, many thanks for that information, I think that could be the wrong William regarding the Military Medal as the date for the London Gazette is far to early, (1819) unless it should read 1918.
Best regards, jess5athome
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 December 12 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Your first question-  E.R of York Y Reg No 151 ( is this the regiment?)
It may be the East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry
Theatre of War 3 was Egypt. from Nov. 1914 to October 1918

See the wikipedia entry for East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry.

James

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 December 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks James, the Wiki page is fascinating, thank you for that.
jess5athome

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 December 12 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, just to bring my search up to speed, I have found Williams "Attestation" signed on the 27th of July 1915 at Goole along with that of his elder brother Stanley and Hopefully this should help in my search of his time in the first world war.
Ken could you tell me how to get to that information you mentioned about "Image 42701".
Best regards.
jess5athome

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 December 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »

"You might find evidence to support this on his death certificate, or if you can find an obituary in the local paper. It's the local paper that told me about gas being a contributory factor in my great-uncle's death in 1925, although he was significantly older, being 59 when he died."

Hi Grahamsimons, thank you for that, you have a point there I will certainly order it to have a look.
Regards always,
jess5athome

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 December 12 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Ken could you tell me how to get to that information you mentioned about "Image 42701".

If you follow Maureen's suggestion on Ancestry you get to http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1219&iid=30974_186787-00386&fn=William+H&ln=Ridsdal&st=r&ssrc=&pid=1689921

You can either press the previous button until you get back to the start of the record, or replace the image number with 42701.

Ken