Author Topic: Thomas EVANS CONVICT to AUST  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas EVANS CONVICT to AUST
« on: Friday 07 December 12 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I have for some time been trying to find family for Thomas EVANS bc 1840.

He is not related to me but "my" Thomas EVANS worked for my Grandparents in Carnarvon Western Australia.

If I'm on the right track Thomas was from Lancashire and had a brother John who was noted  as next of kin [ brother..address Elizabeth St Manchester ] both John and Thomas were Cotton Spinners.
Thomas was convicted 1864 for 'setting fire to a hay stack'.transported 1866 age 27..single from Portland.

many thanks
Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas EVANS CONVICT to AUST
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 December 12 03:14 GMT (UK) »
I can see Thomas Evans transported on the Belgravia arrived W.A  4th 1866. Sentenced to 8 years for setting fire to haystack.
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 December 12 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Lyn22,

Yes that's him..just would love to find his family.
thank you
Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 December 12 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Note that there were two men by the name of Thomas Evans transported on the Belgravia arriving WA 1866!  One convicted at Middlesex General Sessions Clerkenwell, sentenced to 10 years and the other, 'your' man convicted at Warwick Assizes, sentenced to 8 years.

A/try's data set: 'Australian Convict Transportation Registers - Other Fleets and Ships, 1791 - 1868' shows that Thomas Evans' trial was 5 Dec 1864 at Warwick and couples his name with another, John Tomlinson, also transported on the Belgravia. 

A free search of britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk shows that there is an 855 word article, free excerpt as follows - you need to pay to read more which might be of use(!):

"Thomas Evans (27) labourer, Liverpool, and John Tomlinson (23) ???bler, Manchester, were charged on their own confession with wilfully setting fire to a to a hay stack, on the Stratford Road. On Sunday morning the prisoners gave themselves Into the custody of Police Constable Hill, stating that  they had set stack on fire, and were accordingly locked up. Police-constable Archer said about half past twelve on Saturday night he saw stack fire, near The Black Horse. On going the spot he met a woman, who stated that she had seen two young men running away from the stack just before the fire discovered. The officer had since made every enquiry with view bring this woman forward witness, but had ..."
Saturday 10 December 1864 ,  Birmingham Journal ,  West Midlands, England

I can't find any mention of either Evans or Tomlinson on the Prisoners Database from Warwickshire County Record Office - as below -
http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corporate/pages.nsf/Links/3C3BECFC9AF8FC7B80256E7E0056B9FE

But why don't you email recordoffice@warwickshire.gov.uk and ask for some advice?

And let us know what they come back with?   

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 December 12 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Gali,
Your a Gem! :)
Thank you so much for that...now having Liverpool as a place I may now be able to track him down some more...
I have always wanted to find Old Tom's family..for him and with the help of wonderful people I may be able to do just that..
will follow your directions..thank you so much
Yonks Ago

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 December 12 09:00 GMT (UK) »
If he was transported 1866 aged 27 - that means he was born 1838 or 1839 ...and if he was born in Manchester there are these
only one in 1838 - on  
www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html     -  none in 1839

Thomas Evans baptised 18th march 1838 at Ellenbrook Chapel,Worsley ,Lancs - parents John and Frances -occ Collier
then there is this
John Evans bap 18th aug 1844 at St Paul,Walkden ,lancs - parents John and Frances - occ Collier

IF - AND IT`S A BIG IF ...this might be your Thomas Evans parents ...see if anyone can find them in 1851 census ...
at Johns baptism in 1844 their address is
Stanney st
Walkden .......but being a Collier he may have moved around the local Colleries and may not be in Walkden 1851...but you may be lucky....

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 December 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
If it`s your Thomas parents
John Evans married Frances Cooke at St Mary the Virgin ,Eccles,Lancs on 31st october 1836 ....possible marriage ?
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 December 12 09:10 GMT (UK) »
garstoneite,

Thomas and John were both Cotton Spinner's...also it was noted that John lived at Elizabeth Street Manch..
Will need to take a look at what you have sent through as well as Gali.
Wow may be getting close
Yonks Ago

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 December 12 09:14 GMT (UK) »
If John the dad was a Collier, he wouldn`t have wanted his sons down a mine as well ....some info on the places that John and Frances were in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worsley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccles,_Greater_Manchester

just so you can see the districts in Manchester they were in ...that`s if you think it may possibly be Thomas`s parents...a stab in the dark , but may be worth noting tham
allan