Author Topic: Thomas EVANS CONVICT to AUST  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas EVANS CONVICT to AUST
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 December 12 10:36 GMT (UK) »
The free search facility on britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk does not always give the best transcription of the original article ... sadly you would need to pay to get the accurate wording ...  the '?bler' bit refers to Tomlinson's profession so might not be relevant for you. 

I'd guess that Stratford Road would/could be the modern A34 in the Birmingham suburb of Sparkbrook or Sparkhill ... but that would be a guess. 

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 December 12 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Another mention from another newspaper from britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk ... this time his occupation is given as 'collier' rather than 'labourer' ... again, might be worth paying to view the full article. 

Warwickshire Winter Assize
Thomas Evans, 27, collier, pleaded guilty to willfully set fire to a stack of hay, the property of Ann S?aw Birmingham, on the 4th December last - Eight Penal servitude.
Saturday 10 December 1864 ,  Birmingham Gazette ,  West Midlands, England

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 December 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Gali,

I have had a very quick look at the britishnewspaperarchives.co.uk but can't quite naviagate my way around it..can you send me a PM with directions when you have time please..also can you let me know the cost.
cheers
Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 December 12 18:41 GMT (UK) »
If he was Roman Catholic - that would probably rule out the records I have posted - but keep a note of them in case they pop up in any later research
allan

Some Catholics (especially English or Welsh) used C of E and other Churches too .

Thomas and John were both Cotton Spinner's...also it was noted that John lived at Elizabeth Street Manch..
Will need to take a look at what you have sent through as well as Gali.
Wow may be getting close
Yonks Ago

As cotton spinners/mill workers they could have been working from the age of about 6 years old , so may have been working at the job many years and considered it their primary occupation/skill.
But
The early to mid 1860s  was the height of  The Lancashire Cotton Famine . Like  many others , Thomas and John would probably have been desperate for work and  taken any job they could get . Maybe that explains the other occupations on the census that have been posted .
link Lancashire Cotton Famine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_Cotton_Famine

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 December 12 03:05 GMT (UK) »
INCENDIARISM ON THE STRATFORD ROAD.

Yesterday, before the Stipendiary, at the Police Office, Thomas Evans (27), labourer, Liverpool and John Tomlinson (23) doubler, Manchester, were charged on their own confession with wilfully setting fire to a hay stack, on the Stratford Road. On Saturday morning the prisoners gave themselves into custody of Police Constable Hill stating that they had set a stack on fire and were accordingly locked up. Police Constable Archer said, about half past twelve on Saturday he saw a stack on fire, near The Black Horse. On going to the spot he met a woman who stated that she had seen two young men running away from the stack just before the fire was discovered. The officer had since made every enquiry with a view to bring this woman forward as a witness but had failed to discover her, and as her evidence is material it is of importance that she should come forward. The stack was the property of Mrs. Edkins, of the Black Horse, and was almost entirely destroyed. The prisoners pleaded guilty and stated that they were induced to commit the  act through destitution. They were committed to the Assizes.

Birmingham Daily Post, December 6, 1864.

Sounds like they wanted transportation.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 December 12 04:39 GMT (UK) »
BashLad,

Thank you for that,  many of those who were transported were for petty crimes, Australia was only a new Colony after their time was served some were better off...I know from "my" Thomas's he was kind of part of the family.
Also a point that a lot don't know is that convicts paid their own way to the Colonies, also there were more "free settlers" than convicts.
Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 December 12 04:46 GMT (UK) »
...a point that a lot don't know is that convicts paid their own way to the Colonies...

Not sure that I understand this - what is the evidence for it?

...also there were more "free settlers" than convicts.

Only after a certain point  ;)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 December 12 05:41 GMT (UK) »

PrueM,

I do have some where the full numbers of Convicts and Free Settlers..but at the moment can't put my hands on it..

During the late 18th and 19th centuries, large numbers of convicts were transported to the various Australian penal colonies by the British government. One of the primary reasons for the British settlement of Australia was the establishment of a penal colony to alleviate pressure on their overburdened correctional facilities. Over the 80 years more than 165,000 convicts were transported to Australia.

The number of convicts pales in comparison to the immigrants who arrived in Australia as Free Settlers in the 1851–1871 gold rush. In 1852 alone, 370,000 immigrants arrived in Australia. By 1871 the total population had nearly quadrupled from 430,000 to 1.7 million people.[2] The last convicts to be transported to Australia arrived in Western Australia in 1868.

Yonks Ago

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 December 12 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi there again Yonks :) A "doubler" (Tomlinson) was a type of Cotton Spinner . As Bashlad says , they were probably  so destitute (their plea) that they actually "wanted transportation" (did you see my above post re Lancashire Cotton Famine) . How could convicts like that  have "paid  their own way" ? (like Prue , i don't understand that comment either)  . They were convicted of "Arson", a serious crime , especially at a time of riot and civil unrest .  In the Court Records here (at Warwick) it does not say they were sentenced  to be "transported" . It just says "sentence 8 years " . I wonder at what point it was decided that Evans and Tomlinson should be transported and why ?