Author Topic: Irish Traveller Surnames  (Read 65611 times)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Traveller Surnames
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 May 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
You have the variant's of the name Kelly - Scotland-Ireland an early date is 1697 given by Robert Dawson, the Scottish traveller were sometimes called Tinkler other than Tinker,
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 June 14 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi.   Jlangley. I have Kelly travellers in my family on the Miller maternal side.  And yes it was /is a travellers name. Lots still living in trailers. All over GB.  Yours.    Rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline jlangley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 June 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response! How interesting!Perhaps we share a common ancestor? I could only get back to 1773, to a John Patrick Kelley born in County Down Ireland.

Offline Kelly1979

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 May 15 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hello, recently my aunt died but before she died she started to tell me some things about the family name my surname is Kelly and we also spelt our name Kelley she also told me that there was some sort of argument between 2 bothers,  one stayed in cork the other settled in cullyhanah co armargh, she told me that my family is from traveller stock from ireland but when i ask anyone of this i get the stare like Ive said something wrong and the end of days is coming.. my mothers father was a traveller so I'm lead to believe and his surname was rawson and he herald from newark amongst many other places.. any help would be good.

Offline jlangley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 May 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Do you know the names of the 2 brothers?

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 May 15 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Kelly in records as a traveller goes back to about 1697 found in Ireland, Scotland and England, remembering that Irish Travellers had been in England and Scotland long before the Gypsies arrived, also spelt as Kelley, Rawson slightly earlier but that is in England around 1596, there is a reference for 1891 England which may be the census for that year [not looked myself].
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=721045.0

Different spelling but could it be a variation?  Ginnett  Jennett

Offline jlangley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 04:31 BST (UK) »
Kelley was how its spelled with my ancestors from County Down Ireland, he married a lady from England with the maiden name Whalen

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 12:36 BST (UK) »
Wallen and Welan and various other spellings are gypsy and traveller surnames in England also.