Author Topic: NSW: James BUSHELL, Born Kent 1843  (Read 7775 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
NSW: James BUSHELL, Born Kent 1843
« on: Saturday 08 December 12 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if someone could possibly confirm when James BUSHELL arrived in NSW.   It seems it may have been between 1861 and 1863, conceivably jumping from a Royal Navy ship.

He spent his entire life near/around Wollongong, marrying Grace CALLAWAY in 1863 (two children) and Jane GILLESPIE in 1871 (nine children), although he died in Clunes, Victoria, in July 1928.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tony Cocks

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: NSW: James BUSHELL, Born Kent 1843
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 12 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Well if James did jump from a RN Ship he wont have any immigration records. I take it you have him on the 1861 census and them his marriage in 1863 in NSW. Doubtful any tighter time frame could be achieved?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 December 12 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I do not see a Victorian death registration for him in 1928.

However NSW BMDs show this death registration
13635/1928   
James BUSHELL, father John, death registered LISMORE district.
In the column for mother's name it says "85 yrs, LISMORE"

I have occasionally come across death registrations which have been made in a particular registration district while the place of death is quite different.

You may find his death certificate gives his date of arrival - if the informant knew it.  Victorian certificates often have that information, but I have little experience of NSW certificates.

You probably know that Transcription  agents  in  NSW are a  cheaper and  quicker source for  certificate information.  Their names and contacts are on the NSW site:
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

I note also an entry perhaps for his son, also in Lismore
17676/1944   
James BUSHELL, parents: JAMES, GRACE, registered at   LISMORE 

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a James BUSHELL arriving Unassisted on the Nimroud (sic), 1857.  Appears to be travelling alone.  (Obviously it is not an uncommon name.)

James BUSHELL
Port of Departure:   London
Port of Arrival:   Sydney, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date:   6 Oct 1857
Vessel Name:   Nimroud

NSW Indexes show a Deceased estate entry which seems to match the Lismore death.
James BUSHELL, resident Richmond River, died 28/07/1928, dairy farmer
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 12 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if someone could possibly confirm when James BUSHELL arrived in NSW. It seems it may have been between 1861 and 1863, conceivably jumping from a Royal Navy ship.
Tony Cocks

Why do you think he jumped ship from the Royal Navy?  Do you have evidence that he was in the Royal Navy?  In which case his records should show that he deserted?

Have you looked at the various states' police gazettes or government gazettes?  These usually list ships deserters. 

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 12 00:57 GMT (UK) »
I think the above information re the Lismore death is probably the correct man.  TROVE has notices from the Lismore Star about the death and funeral of James BUSHELL, 1928.  Unfortunately they are not fully digitised but you can see that he passed away at his residence in Clunes, which is in NSW near Lismore (not the Clunes in Victoria).

Mention is made of children:
James BUSHELL, also a farmer of Clunes.  There is a birth reg for this man at Wollongong 1870, s/o James and Grace
John H BUSHELL, of Eltham - Birth reg Wollongong 1879, s/o James and Jane
Mrs T NOBLE (dec)
Mrs T S KIRKLAND
Mrs James MORRIS
There are other children listed which are not available on-line until the digitisation is done.  There are other mentions of him and his family - again only a summary visible at present.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Judith

Offline terryau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 12 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,

I note that in 1885 a James BUSHELL of American Creek, in the PD of Kiama and Post town of Mount Kembla held 180 acres, with five horses, 70 cows and 30 pigs!.

htioi
Terry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 December 12 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony  :)

I see a James BUSHELL born c1842 Margate, Kent onboard  Royal Navy vessel in Esquimault Harbour Vancouver Island on the 1861 census.  It is possible that he jumped ship there and made his way to Australia.  If he arrived as a crew I doubt you will find his arrival.  Some passenger lists on ancestry list crew as unassisted immigrants but I can't see your James BUSHELL there.  Perhaps he worked his way here on a cargo ship.

Many public tree have named James' place of death as Clunes, New South Wales.  Clunes is north east of Lismore and was obviously in the registration district of Lismore in 1928.   James died on 28 Jul 1928.  Perhaps this is were you found the info.

Cheers :)
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 December 12 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Tony have made contact with an family researcher who has indicated  he will have a look at this thread.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk