Author Topic: NSW: James BUSHELL, Born Kent 1843  (Read 7771 times)

Offline Captain Kayos

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW: James BUSHELL, Born Kent 1843
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 04:58 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any specific information on his arrival in NSW from the UK.  According to my info., he had 10 children (although the records being as they are, I wouldn't stake my life on it!) with Jane Gillespie and they were all born around the Wollongong area.  It appears that sometime after all the children were born, the whole family moved north to Lismore and around the village of Clunes NSW.  From memory, all the children were buried in Lismore, NSW.  Grace Bushell was my wife's G. Grandmother.

Cheers,

Rex.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rex  :)

Welcome to rootschat :)

Pleased you found us.  I am sure Tony will be pleased you have made contact.

Cheers :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 December 12 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your responses and my apologies for answering this late, but my laptop and I have not exactly been on friendly terms over the past week!!!

I am fairly convinced that James Bushell's arrival in Australia will remain something of a mystery, except for the fact that in 1861 he was at Vancouver Island (1861 England Census) and, at least, on the right side of the world to reach Australia easily. 

There is one more area that I have to investigate, namely, was he  an "inmate" of the Philanthropic Institute from January 1855?   The records for the Institute are retained by the Surrey History Centre but, sadly, they are annual stocktaking at the moment and it will be the New Year before I have the opportunity to carry on my research.  The advantage of the Institute's records is that invariably names, addresses and occupations of parents are identified and the eventual disposal of the boys.......which, in James Russell's case, may show he joined the Royal Navy, a favourite disposal incidentally.   

I shall update the thread as soon as possible in the New Year which hopefully, alongside Christmas, will be a happy one for all.

Take care,

Tony

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 06:49 GMT (UK) »
There is an on-line index for the Philanthropic society.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/449213/Philanthropic-Society-School-Redhill-Registers-of-Admissions.pdf

James BUSHELL
D o B 1844
Date of admission 4.1.1855
Notes: Emigrated to Sydney per "Nimrod", age given as 11 plus notes
Document reference: 2271/10/10 Page/Folio No: 175

Obviously there are some further notes to be seen in the actual records.

Seems quite a long way from Kent to Surrey (in those days) and one wonders if he was in trouble with the law as it seems that was one reason for admission.

Now, how do you know that your man finished up at the Philanthropic Society?  This boy seems to be the one I found on an earlier post:
James BUSHELL
Port of Departure:   London
Port of Arrival:   Sydney, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date:   6 Oct 1857
Vessel Name:   Nimroud (sic)

I wonder if he came with others from the Philanthropic Society.  And where did they go to in Australia?  By yourself at the age of 11.  :o  I see a few others emigrating to various states of Oz in the 1850/60s from this institution - many to Canada also.  I had a quick look at about half of the entries and didn't find anyone else emigrating on the same ship.

My reason for the query is that there is a family in 1851 census with surname BUSHEL - which may just be wrongly recorded.  James BUSHEL, b 1843 Margate, is in the District Union Workhouse, Isle of Thanet.  He is listed with what would seem to be his brothers - John aged 13 and George 4.  All b  Margate and all listed as 'son of a bricklayer'.

This corresponds with a birth reg from FreeBMD  for a James BUSHELL, reg Isle of Thanet, Jul qr 1843. (Margate is part of this reg district.)

Seems as though this may be the father of the boys, also in the Workhouse as above - John BUSHEL, 45, bricklayers labourer.  I think it says he's married - bit hard to read.  Hmm - there's also an older man recorded near to the boys on the Workhouse list, so not sure.... Richard BUSHEL, widower, 63, bricklayer.

Anyhow, these boys may have nothing to do with your man; just seems a bit of a co-incidence. And whether it's your man or this boy in the RN  :-\

Do you have the death cert?  Just wondered if it gave the number of years in NSW.  Dis he name Margate as his birthplace?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Looking again at the passenger list for the Nimroud there are at least 2 other boys listed at the Philanthropic Society

John McGHEE; DoB 15.5.1841; admission 25.6.1855   Emigrated to Sydney plus notes, Ref: 2271/10/10 256

Thomas LAUCHLAN, DoB: 1840; admission: 4.1.1855  Emigrated to Sydney per "Nimrod", age given as
"15 nearly", letter plus notes  Ref: 2271/10/10 180

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Judb,

Thank you for the tip........I had not realised the Royal Philanthropic Society had digiitised the admission records in very much an abbreviated form.   And thank you also for appearing to have corrected an overwhelming amount of belief that James BUSHELL arrived in Australia via the Royal Navy.   I have always questioned the limited amount of time available for him to be recorded on the 1861 Census in Vancouver and marrying in July 1863 in Wollongong.

Certainly my proposed visit to the Surrey History Centre in the New Year is now more important than ever to unravel his parentage, the dates of his discharge from the Institute and eventual emigration to Sydney aboard the "Nimrod".   There is so much conflicting Census detail that establishing his parentage will question a lot of the Family Tree answers!!    Was he a "Pauper" for instance in 1851 as a James BUSHEL entry suggests?

You pose one other question........How did I know he had been an inmate of the Philanthropic Institute?   James BUSHELL, alongside his co-defendant William Henry MOXOM, was sentenced to 4 years penal servitude at Dover Quarter Sessions on 31/03/1854, sent to Parkhurst Prison and from there transferred to the Philanthropic Institute on 04/01/1855.   I did my usual research through Ancestry Family Trees and found an enormous number of entries for a James BUSHELL with the 1861-1863 timeframe, but none identifying him as a former inmate of Parkhurst Prison and the Philanthropic Institute.    My initial reaction was to discard the Ancestry Family Tree connection........I will never learn!!

So a case of waiting for the New Year.

Regards

Tony

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Both the Criminal Register and the Philanthropic Society's index give the name of James' co-accused as William Henry MOXON.  Seems he was discharged into the care of friends from the Society so he wasn't
 transported as James did.    Wonder which would think he had had a better deal in the end  :-\  I see William MOXON an various censuses, with the occupation stonemason.

Judith

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Judith,

I managed to complete my research on William Henry MOXON quite easily with straightforward reference to the Census etc.   

As to which of the two boys fared better in the end I would not wish to comment.......I was a £10 POM and spent some very happy years in Hobart and Melbourne when God was a boy!!!

For now,

Tony

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 12:23 GMT (UK) »
you were probably on the same ship as my husband - he's older than God, I think.  LOL.  ;)  Judith