Author Topic: Christina (Mary) Swanzy Married Sean Connolly 1910  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Happy Chappy :-)

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christina (Mary) Swanzy Married Sean Connolly 1910
« on: Sunday 09 December 12 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking for information on the above; I know they had 3 kids Kevin, Aidan, Madge and
they lived on the North side of the City; Looking into the Swanzy side of the family.
Cheers
H.C

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Christina (Mary) Swanzy Married Sean Connolly 1910
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 12 08:37 GMT (UK) »
could this Christina/Mary with her family on the 1901 census ?

Swanzy household - St. Mary's Rd., Dublin

and Mary's mother and several of her siblings 10 years later :

Swanzy housed - 1911

This Swanzy line seems to have originated in Co. Cavan, as that's where Mary's father and grandmother were born.

Mary's mother's maiden name seems to be Stephenson / Stephens. There are likely baptisms for two of Mary's brother's on the IrishGenealogy website. Based on the BMD Index William and Mary married in Dublin in 1888.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 12 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane:

This looks like a fit  as she alternated between  the name Mary and Christina.

Thanks
Steve

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 December 12 11:55 GMT (UK) »
marriage record for William Swanzy & Mary stephenson
Oct nov dec 1888. Reg district Dublin South Vol 2 Page 617

As Mary was a widow in 1911 census. There is only 1 male death showing in Dublin South for a  James Swazy Jan Feb Mar 1907 age 58
Reg district Dublin South Vol 2 Page 660. Possible William swazy may have first name of James! :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 12 12:06 GMT (UK) »
There's also a William Swanzy (age 48) death in 1909, with a matching burial in Glasnevin.

A search on the address shows it has 'Mary' in it - so could fit with that 1901 census entry.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane:

Thanks, prob a relation  Christina was around in the 1930's

Thanks again...
Steve

Offline lirmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 January 13 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi H.C.,

Mary Christine 'Chris' Swanzy was born on 7 December 1893 to William Swanzy and Mary Stephens (or possibly Stephenson). She had five siblings who survived to adulthood: Bridie, Pat, Denis, Peg and Billy. Chris was married to Sean Connolly in 1910, as you know, and had three children: Kevin, Aiden (note spelling) and Madge. Chris was widowed in 1916 and married Thomas Joseph 'Joe' McCarthy sometime around 1924. Chris and Joe had two children, Iain and Patricia (who died in infancy). I'm Chris's grandson; if you want any further information (or have any to give me!) just let me know.

Best,
Lir

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 January 13 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Albeit with a bad mistranscription of surname, here's Mary Christina's baptism record, actually in late December 1888 rather than 1893:
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/a3b5a80082265

Her Civil Birth Registration index ref is here (with birth apparently registered in Qtr 1 of 1889, could have been shortly after New Year of course):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FB86-1Z2

Although I'm not a member of Ancestry, there appears to be a private family tree uploaded which includes Mary Christina and William Swanzy.  It seems possible to contact the person who uploaded it:

http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/RequestTreeAccess.aspx?tid=26555437&pid=12958565641

There also appears to be a photo of William attached to this tree, again with private status. See the 3rd item on this list:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=ms_f-2_s&gsfn=William+Norman&gsln=Swanzey&cpxt=0&catBucket=p&uidh=000&cp=0

Also, you may well have this already but there is quite a lot mentioned on Sean Connolly in the following bio of his son Kevin/Caoimhin
http://www.ainm.ie/Bio.aspx?ID=318

Offline lirmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 January 13 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that's brilliant! Yes, 1888 would be the correct year for her birth – the family in the 1901 census is definitely hers, so a birth year of 1888 or 1889 would be right. She was notorious for being coy about her age; the birth year I had was worked out by my father, it turns out he was four or five years out!