Author Topic: George Blower, coachman  (Read 7652 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Blower, coachman
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 December 12 22:39 GMT (UK) »
This George Blower given as born in Melton Mowbray Leicestershire in  c 1818 and married to a Maria is given as a Coachman-RG10/3195/74/43.In 1851 he is given as a "Victualler and in 1861 away from home in Lancashire is given as a Gentleman's Servant.No sign of a daughter Mary Ann though.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 December 12 22:42 GMT (UK) »
This George married a Maria Deemin in Aston Warwickshire in 1849.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the additional information. I put together a bit of a timeline for each of these George Blower families.

First family:
1849 - George Blower (b. 1822) coachman, m. Sarah Seabright (b. 1822) in Gloucestershire.
1851 - George Blower, labourer,  and Sarah shown with no children.
1861 - George Blower, domestic ...?, and Sarah shown with no children.
1871 - George Blower, gardener, and Sarah shown with no children.
1881 - Sarah Blower, widow, no children shown.

Second family:
1849 - George Blower (b. 1818) m. Marie/a Deemin (b. 1826) in Aston, Warwickshire.
1851 - George Blower, victualler, and Maria shown with no children.
1861 - George Blower, gentleman's servant, could not find Marie and their son George F. Blower was staying with Marie's father - William Deemin.
1871 - George Blower, coachman, and Marie shown with children George F. (b. 1855), Arthur T. (b. 1863), and Marie (b. 1868).
1881 - Maria Blower, widow, shown with daughter Marie.

I could not associate either family with a Mary Ann Blower. She would have been born by the 1851 census and should have appeared with either of the families if they were the right ones.

So I'm still stumped  :)
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 16:06 GMT (UK) »
How old was she on the marriage certificate?  If she was only 13 in 1861 she was a young bride.

I wonder if George became her father by marriage and she was born to the mother beforehand but as we don't know the mother hard to work out  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this one in 1851 - Mary Ann Blower age 6 visitor to a Smith family in Birmingham.  She is with two other Blowers - siblings perhaps - Thomas 10 and Eli 8.  Birthplace for all is Warwickshire but they could have all been lumped together with the household.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Her age is listed as 18 on the 1864 marriage certificate to William Stone and then listed as 24 on the 1871 marriage certificate to Thomas Archer. There is no father's name listed for her on the 1871 certificate.

Every census from 1871 through 1911 list her birthplace as Shenstone so I'm a bit reluctant to start searching M.A. Blowers not born in Staffordshire. It may come to that though, so I'll keep that Birmingham reference in mind.

I think you are right that she was born under a different name. I'm currently working on connecting a Blower and a Sedgwick family that have both a Mary and a Mary Ann with birth dates and registrations that look promising. Both of these families also have links to Shenstone, Staffs.

Thanks for your input - the more ideas the better  :)
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 December 12 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Expect you have already checked for births under the possible George Blowers wifes maiden names? 

Little odd there was no father named on her second marriage, wonder why that was. 

What did she name her eldest children, there might be some clues in the names chosen.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 December 12 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I can see there was a daughter Maria.  Maria Deemin marriage to George Blower was 1849 after Mary Ann "Blower" was born so she could have been born to her before she married George and a granddaughter was named after her.

Well you did say the more ideas the better!

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 December 12 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I did check using the Deemin and Seabright names and didn't find anything. There are so many spelling variations, especially for Deemin, that I wasn't always sure about the results.

She had 12 children - the 3 boy's names were Samuel (from the first marriage) and Thomas and Charles (from the second marriage). So no help there either.

I have been wondering about her age - 18 - when she married in 1864. The marriage was after Banns at the Parish Church in the Parish of St Peter Derby in the County of Derby. Would her father, or some other member of her family, have had to give consent to the marriage? Would she have had to prove who she was and how old she was?