Author Topic: Ninian Ker b.about 1660-5  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Rantinrobbie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ninian Ker b.about 1660-5
« on: Tuesday 11 December 12 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Ninian Ker married Jean Miller at Kilwinning, Ayrshire in 1682 and their son Ninian was born at Kilwinning in 1683. I believe that Ninian Snr then married Marion Hendry at Kilwinning in 1687 and she bore him 3 children before the family moved to Midlothian where she continued to bear children (about 5) until her death in 1705.
Ninian Snr. next married Isobel Jacque (Jacqueson, Jackson or Jack) at Liberton Midlothian in Oct 1705 and Isobel bore him five children between 1706 and 1718.
Ninian Jnr married: 1 Margaret Bowman at Liberton in1706; and 2 Agnes Glendinning at Liberton in 1707.

I would appreciate any information on Ninian Ker Snr's d.o.b., birth-place and parentage.

Offline Jamesi

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ninian Ker b.about 1660-5
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
I just came across this message when surfing for Ninian Kerr and I have to say that it is the first time that I have seen what appears to be the factually correct position - i.e. that Ninian  was born circa !6160/1665 and came from Killwinning.

He seems to have married three times and in the course of his marriage to Marion Hendry moved to Midlothian and eventually settled in Liberton at West Lodge -which I think is at Liberton Dams and was part of the Inch Estate owned by the Gilmours. Initially he seems to have lived in Niddrie then at Elginhaugh near Lasswade and for a time at Carrington

The interesting thing is the actual move across country and at the time there must have been a good reason for doing it but having said that I am no closer to finding out more about his parentage.

There is quite a lot of stuff on line which appears to confuse this Ninian to someone of the same name born to a Ker and an Aitken in the 1680s but this looks impossible if he had a son Ninian in 1683. This however may be a clue in itself given the resilience of the Scottish naming tradition.

I suspect that Nininans father or grandfather must have been called Ninian so maybe this comes from the maternal side and maybe there is a common link to the  Ninian born in Glasgow. This would place Kiilwinning Nininans linked to a set of families who were merchants and burgesses in Glasgow in the 17th Centrury.  Where you go before that is an open question - there is a lot of fanciful stuff on line.

Jim