Author Topic: CASTLETOWNBERE  (Read 3142 times)

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CASTLETOWNBERE
« on: Wednesday 12 December 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Not sure if I should post this in the Kerry forum but here goes anyway. Does anyone have any idea where I might locate the marriage details for Walter and Catherine who are listed as parents here
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/a303e20155788

The other entries refer to what I think is their daughter, who married in Killeentierna in 1848. Her DOB would be c1828 which fits in. Walter is listed as the father of the bride and his occupation is soldier ?? I've had a search done in the military records at Kew but nothing showed up.
Glover,Moriarty,Kennelly,Brosnan all based in Kerry.
Evans and Fitzpatrick in Dublin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: CASTLETOWNBERE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 20:17 GMT (UK) »
you would really need to have some idea of where they might have married to search further.... soldiers often moved between different postings around Ireland, England and abroad.

Most of the available RC records for Co. Kerry and West Co. Cork are on the IrishGenealogy website, so if the marriage doesn't appear there maybe they married in a parish where the records dont go back far enough, or in another part of Ireland ?

Records for parts of north and east Co. Cork are included on RootsIreland, which is a pay-website.

Baptisms and marriages for Castletownbere parish go back to about 1819. The records on the IrishGenealogy website appear to cover back to the about the same dates.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane,
If only he had stopped moving around, it would have made my task easier  :)
The family settled in Killeentierna and there appears to have been a group of Glovers there all working as stonemasons. A local historian told me that they came from the North but I have no idea what that is based on. Unfortunately he has since passed on.
I've searched irishgenealogy and reckon I've taken everything I can from it. I will give rootsireland a go and let you know how I get on. Thanks a million for all your help

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there was no sign of Walter on Rootsireland. I did find a Nicholas Glover here
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/ee6b320000128

Clutching at straws here but perhaps Walter and Nicholas could be related ?? The names are unusual for the area and the time frame would be right. I thought of trying to find Nicholas's marriage cert but unfortunately the Abbeydorney marriage registers only start in 1837.

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
Still searching......
I found the Church of Ireland BMD records for Bere Island from 1787 which includes British military personnel. Unfortunately I found no reference to Walter but I took all the regimental details I could find. Some of the records included the regiment of those listed as grooms/fathers etc. 

1st,2nd and 3rd Garrison Battalion

Munster regiment

Tipperary Militia, Wicklow militia and Leitrim Militia

Royal Veteran Battalion

4th, 6th, 8th,9th, 18th, 19th,24th, 34th,41st,51st, and 70th.

Apparently I need to narrow this down to get someone to do a professional search.
Any ideas anyone ????
PS. If anyone wants those BMD records, just let me know and I can email them.
Cheers,
Jan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 16:02 BST (UK) »
that baptism was in 1822, so it's possible that the marriage was before the start of available records. Marriage records for the parish go back to about 1818, so could have just missed a record of Walter & Catherine... assuming of course they married in that parish.

1822 is already quite early for RC records, as the average starting date for rural parishes is about 1830.

Just wondering why CofI records for the marriage, is there some doubt about the denominations ?
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
I would say that Walter was COI or even COE and his bride was RC. The rest of the Glover records that I have from Killeentierna in the 1830s  show them marrying in both churches. Must have mixed well with the locals  ;)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 16:20 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately just RC records for West Cork are on IrishGenealogy at the moment, so you'd have to search records manually.  (RootsIreland does have some CofI records, but only for the north & east of the county)
My Surname Interests

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, I am due a trip into town so I might head to the NLI next week to view the microfim.
Cheers,
Jan