Author Topic: POLAND - Louis Charles Turunski  (Read 1754 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND - Louis Charles Turunski
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 February 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
this is the area Louis Charles was from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS_(1st_Galician)
known as Galicia to local Ukraines on the Polish Border
Rogatyn Poland is now Rohatyn Ukraine - many towns changed hands frequently - I think you will find Louis came from a town / village near here where my in law was from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohatyn
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Garstonite. That's very useful geographical information.

All 21 of those Turunskis in the list on Geneanet are the family of Louis Charles Turunski and Jane Scott; there is a lot of duplication in the list. I have seen the originals of all their birth/baptism records and the marriage certificate of Ann Louisa Jane to John Hodgson Anderson, and the death records/certificates of Louis Charles, Jane and five of their children. The marriage does indeed name him as Mr Charles Turunski, omitting his first given name.

I have not seen the original death certificate of Auguste William, who I think died in Lambeth in 1864, or the marriage certificate of Reginald Ernest, who married Alice Charlotte F Walker in Liverpool in 1883. Alice died the following year after giving birth to a daughter, also Alice, but I have no further information about Reginald. Nor do I know what became of Arthur Louis, born 1844.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Alice Charlotte Francis Walker was born 1856 - was she previously married before Reginald Ernest ?

Name    Claudius Auchinleck     
 Spouse's Name     Alice Charlotte Francis Walker   
 Spouse's Birth Date     1856   
 Spouse's Age     20   
 Event Date     14 Mar 1876   
 Event Place     Liverpool, Lancaster, England   
 Father's Name    Alexander Auchinleck     
 Spouse's Father's Name    Arthur Clarke Walker     
 Marital Status     Single   
 Spouse's Marital Status     Single 
..............................maybe Reginald Ernest moved away from Liverpool or even abroad after the death of Alice ?
Claudius Auchinleck died - Death Date     16 Apr 1881   
 Death Place     Merchant Marine, At Sea, Great Britain 
Liverpool was full of Merchant Seamen at that time - I wonder if Reg was a Merchant Seaman as well ??-
just checked on freebmd and Reg married Alice Auchinleck at Toxteth Park 1883- so that was all in vane ..lol
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes, sorry, I had that as well. I just haven't seen the marriage certificate. Reluctant to shell out £9.25 for it when it isn't going to tell me anything new.

I think Reg must have left Great Britain, but I have no idea where he went. Alice Sr was born in Dublin, so maybe Ireland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, sorry, I had that as well. I just haven't seen the marriage certificate. Reluctant to shell out £9.25 for it when it isn't going to tell me anything new.

I think Reg must have left Great Britain, but I have no idea where he went. Alice Sr was born in Dublin, so maybe Ireland.

did Alice and Claudius have any children - and who brought up young Alice b 1884 ? have you found her on 1891 census ?
added
Mary Irwin Auchinleck b 1877 - baptised 5th feb - so who looked after Mary and young Alice when Alice snr died in 1884 ?
we need to find them in 1891 census
added again - this is fate - Arthur Harold James Auchinleck bap 12th oct 1879 at ST MARGARETS ,CHURCH ,ANFIELD ,Liverpool - THE SCHOOL I WENT TO AS A TEENAGER is attached to the church ( huge fire there in 1961 )- been in that church many times ...so Reg may have 3 children of Alice snr with him from 1884 ?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
have you seen this ??  Reginald Ernest TURUNSEL ??  I wonder if Reg kept that name ??
Name     Alice Auchinleck   
 Event Type     Marriage   
 Registration Quarter     Jan-Feb-Mar   
 Registration Year     1883   
 Registration District     Toxteth Park   
 County     Lancashire   
 Event Place     Toxteth Park, Lancashire, England 
to Reginald Ernest Turunsel
on familysearch.org

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 February 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
have you seen this ??  Reginald Ernest TURUNSEL ??  I wonder if Reg kept that name ??
on familysearch.org
No. Chances are it's a mistranscription but I will see if I can find later references, thank you. FreeBMD definitely transcribes that marriage as Turunski.

did Alice and Claudius have any children
  Two that I know of - found them in the 1881 census with Alice. Mary Irwin b 1877 and Arthur James b 1879.

I have yet to find them in 1891 or later, and I have no idea who brought up the children.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 February 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I have now learned that Reginald Ernest Turunski died of fever in Opobo, Nigeria, on 3 October 1884. His baby daughter Alice died on 30 September 1884 in Glasgow, aged just 11 days. So he may never have known that he had been a father, or that he himself was a widower.

What an unfortunate family. Eight children, of whom at least seven died before either of their parents. Their only son-in-law and their only daughter-in-law both died the year after their respective marriages, and only one granddaughter survived to adulthood.

The eighth is Arthur Louis Turunski, born 1844 and listed in the 1851 census with his family, after which I have found no trace of him. He was not with his family in 1861, and I have failed to find him anywhere else, so unless he too went to sea he could well have died before 1855.

Mary Irwin Auchinleck died in 1888 in Liverpool aged 11. Arthur James Harold Auchinleck died in Brirish Columbia in 1950. In 1891 he was with his grandmother Sarah O'Reilly or Walker in the household of his aunt Mary and her husband Bernard Philpott in West Derby.