Author Topic: A RootsChat database for Travelling People  (Read 49928 times)

Offline Aceh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A RootsChat database for Travelling People
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 28 June 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
My Johnson ancestors pre 1826 appears to have been a gang of itinerant rope makers who moved from dockyard to dockyard as demand dictated, especially during the Napoleonic Wars. Would these and similar travelling artisans be included in such a database?
CUL(L)MER: N, E + SE London 19 cent, E Kent pre 1830, New York post 1850, Vic Australia post 1850
JOHNSON: (dockers/ropemakers) Tower Hamlets pre WWII
OSBORN:(dyers, scourers & gloove cleaners) Hoxton, Islington, Clerkenwell pre 1900
KEWLEY: Bradford 1830-1913, IoM pre 1850
CANNELL: IoM pre 1820
FABB: Cambridge
COLE(S): Warks/Oxon border pre 1830
RILEY: (RC) Bishopsgate area pre 1800
HALE: Brighton pre 1850
KIPPS: E Kent pre 1750
HARDING: MEOT post 1850, Bath Area pre 1850
PARTINGTON Lancs

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think so.  Just make it clear in your comments that they travelled around a lot :)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Aceh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 29 June 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
Morning Bob, thanks for your swift reply.

What I have is the baptism of my 2 x great grandfather William Johnson at Stepney in 1803 who became a Hemp Dresser like his father Joseph; a Ropemaker and 2 Twine spinners all Johnson close in age to Joseph at Portsmouth Dockyard in 1806 and the Ropemaker alone at Chatham Dockyard in 1808. There is also another Johnson Hemp Dresser, again close in age to Joseph (different family but perhaps linked) who was at Mile End in 1803, Portsmouth in 1806, Chatham in 1808 and Great Yarmouth in 1820.
These snapshots are all I have at present and there may have been greater mobility than appears from surviving Admiralty records. This is not like Gypsies and Circus folk moving frequently from place to place so the question is: Is this degree of mobility suitable for inclusion in the Travelling People database and discussion on the Travelling People Board or should I be using other boards?   
CUL(L)MER: N, E + SE London 19 cent, E Kent pre 1830, New York post 1850, Vic Australia post 1850
JOHNSON: (dockers/ropemakers) Tower Hamlets pre WWII
OSBORN:(dyers, scourers & gloove cleaners) Hoxton, Islington, Clerkenwell pre 1900
KEWLEY: Bradford 1830-1913, IoM pre 1850
CANNELL: IoM pre 1820
FABB: Cambridge
COLE(S): Warks/Oxon border pre 1830
RILEY: (RC) Bishopsgate area pre 1800
HALE: Brighton pre 1850
KIPPS: E Kent pre 1750
HARDING: MEOT post 1850, Bath Area pre 1850
PARTINGTON Lancs

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 25 April 15 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Aceh,

just noticed this and realised that I never got round to answering your question. Sorry  :-[

Now that you've given more detail I am not so sure that they would fit in the "Travelling People" category.  Perhaps "Occupation Interests" would be a better place for your questions.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 27 April 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Situations vacant !

The DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups was created with the aims of
  • creating searchable lists of special interests groups
  • finding connections and (hopefully) family links between RootsChatters with similar research interests

The database "Travelling People" presently has 45 entries.  In order to make it into a useful research tool, we need more entries.

This presents some employment possibilities for you !

There are three types of job being offered:
  • Entering your own "Travelling People" data : No further application is needed - just do it :)

• Transcribers : Even if you aren't researching these people yourselves, you can still transcribe data for the database. For instance, you may have found official documents for your ancestors (Census returns, etc.) and there are other Travellers in these documents. Please add them to the database; someone else might be searching for these people.

No further application is needed - just do it :)

By the way: if you have already collected data in Word tables, Excel tables, CSV files, GEDCOM files  or XML files, I can probably convert and transfer these files directly into the database :)

• Data Coordinators ("Door to Door Salespeople"): Not every RootsChatter with "Travelling People" ancestors will read this posting, so we need a few people who are prepared to browse RootsChat topics and seek out "candidates" for the database.  They will then contact the original poster and ask whether
    • the OP would like to enter their data in the database.
    • or if the coordinator should enter the data for them.

Not every Rootschatter will want their data to be entered in the database so it is important to ask first, and respect their wishes.

Please send me a PM if you wish to apply.

Bob
DBSIG Caretaker

DBSIG access:
 » Reference Library (link at bottom of every RootsChat page)
 » DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups
 » Select "Travelling People"

or direct » http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_name=Travelling+People

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 09 August 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have just added 90 "Travellers" to the database.  I did this by converting a Word document supplied by a RootsChatter and converting the data to database format.

Just a reminder, in case anybody else has data they would like to add to the database but doesn't fancy typing it all in :)
Special Offer:

When I was developing the Pork Butchers database, 2 RootsChatters sent me the results of their researches, one as an excel spreadsheet, and the other as a table in a WORD document. 

I then converted these to SQL (a database language) and entered them directly into the database.

If you have any lists of "Travelling People", whether ancestors or as research findings, I am happy to do the same for you.

Please let me know and I'll send you a PM how to send me the files.

Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 04 October 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
I have just added 90 "Travellers" to the database.  I did this by converting a Word document supplied by a RootsChatter and converting the data to database format.
These records were transcribed from the 1881 census for Cherry Island in Essex. You can find them by going to the "advanced search" and entering either
- *Cherry Island* in "Abode (2)", "Address / Notes:"
or
- *UK Census 1881*  in "Notes"

She also sent me a PDF file, which I have now also found on the web:
A Historical Survey of the Customs, Habits, & Present State of the Gypsies
Author: John Hoyland, written in 1816
This is also available from the Gutenburg Projekt:http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29063/29063-h/29063-h.htm
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=29063

and in Google Books:
https://books.google.de/books/about/A_Historical_Survey_of_the_Customs_Habit.html?id=Zb4vAAAAYAAJ&redir_esc=y

Within the 278 pages of (general) information there is also a list of 26 gypsies living in Westminster (in 1816). These are mainly from LOVELL families, with a few other names.
Does anybody feel like transcribing these for the database ? :)

Bob

DBSIG access:
 » Reference Library (link at bottom of every RootsChat page)
 » DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups
 » Select your interest (Travelling People)
 » Advanced Search : http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-search.php?dbsig_num=3#top_data

Offline Thomo0903

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 26 August 16 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

When I try and add a record it says I need to have PM enabled first. As far as I know I do have PM enabled. Is this something I need to look into with the forum technical support?

Thanks

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 26 August 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Thomo,

We've had this problem before. Possibly you need to delete any RootsChat cookies and then log in again.

Regards,
Bob