Author Topic: William Jeffery & family  (Read 7545 times)

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Jeffery & family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 01:22 BST (UK) »
My Research has come up to the same conclusions as yours except for the marriage of William Jeffery to Elizabeth Ann Elliott instead of Susan Baker.

I have not been able to find any details for Susan; which Website did you find the baptism in Yeovil on? No luck either for a marriage license or Banns for her marriage to William Jeffery. It is possible that they did not marry. :-\

Elizabeth Ann Elliott also seems to be elusive as my sources of information have not come up with anything other than the marriage to date. She may have been born in another County; there are so many possibilities to research.

Cheers, Muffin41

I'm going straight by the Sherborne PRs here......

Parents: William and Susan
Children: Susan 6 Jul 1805, James 2 Jul 1806, William Vincent 23 Dec 1807.

Parents: William and Susannah
Children: Gabriel Baker 25 Oct 1809, Samuel Hart 28 Oct 1814, Hester Toogood 11 Feb 1818

Parents: William and Elizabeth
Children: John 23 Dec 1801 born 11 Nov 1800, Harriott 25 Dec 1802, Ann 24/12/1803, Isaac 12 Oct 1805 bur 25 Oct 1806, Samuel 11 Oct 1806, Elizabeth 10 Oct 1807, Samuel 25 Jan 1809, Sarah 8 Apr 1811, Isaac 10 Apr 1815, Eliza 14 Jan 1815, William 6 Dec 1817 and Mary Ann 11 Dec 1819.

If Susan and Susannah are not the same person, and assuming that Susan is the one we're after, then all the Baker bits and pieces fall away.

There's also this:
Marriage: William Jeffery and Elizabeth Brown 12 Oct 1800 at Sherborne.

There's still the issue of William Vincent's parentage. The PRs say William and Susan, not Elizabeth.
I've attached the PR original.

Oh boy, the confusion....

Cheers, Keith

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
My Research has come up to the same conclusions as yours except for the marriage of William Jeffery to Elizabeth Ann Elliott instead of Susan Baker.

I have not been able to find any details for Susan; which Website did you find the baptism in Yeovil on? No luck either for a marriage license or Banns for her marriage to William Jeffery. It is possible that they did not marry. :-\

Elizabeth Ann Elliott also seems to be elusive as my sources of information have not come up with anything other than the marriage to date. She may have been born in another County; there are so many possibilities to research.

Cheers, Muffin41

I may have it. According to FreeReg there is the following at Yeovil St John:

William Jeffery of Sherborne marries Susannah Baker of this parish by license on 6 May 1804. Witnesses are Esther Baker, Charles Baker and Elizabeth Baker.

I've sent an email to the SW Heritage asking for a price to verify the marriage against the PRs, for a scan of the PR and, if possible, a scan of the license.

Regards, Keith Jeffery

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 11:14 BST (UK) »

Cheers, Muffin41

Hello again... attached is the marriage entry from the Yeovil St John PRs

Cheers, Keith

Offline Muffin41

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the scan Keith it helps to fill in the gaps. :D :D

Muffin41
Pow in Bath Somerset, Essex, Middlesex, Lancashire, Surrey, Australia, New Zealand and USA
Bailey, Hare, in Bath & Taunton Somerset
Nash in Seend Wiltshire, Bath Somerset
Snook in Middlesex, Leicestershire, Surrey, Berkshire, Portugal and Canada
Billinghurst, Furlonger, Hoare, Huntingford, Tilbury, Webb in Surrey

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the scan Keith it helps to fill in the gaps. :D :D

Muffin41

And Susanna Baker was baptised in Chiselborough, daughter of Gabriel & Hester Baker of Yeovil on 11 Aug 1782.

A number of Baker events took place at Chiselborough or Martock because Nicholas Baker, Gabriel's father was the curate.

Cheers, Keith

Offline Arwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 19 June 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for my great great grandfather i believe he is Frank William John Jeffery. He is the son of Gabriel Francis Masters Jeffery and Emma Bullock. Gabriel Francis is the son of Gabriel Baker Jeffery and Alice Masters.

Frank W. J. Jeffery was the master of a barge called the Mary & Kate, owned bij the English & Continental Shipping Co. Ltd. in London.

He was born in Poplar in 1859 and died(?) in 1933. He visited Zierikzee (Zeeland, The Netherlands( in the 1890's. On one occasion he knocked my great great grandmother pregnant with a boy later my mother's grandfather. (born 1895)

Looking for living relatives and pictures of the family. My mother's grandfather was called Black Leen (Leendert) because of his black hair.

Any help most welcome!

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Arwin

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for my great great grandfather i believe he is Frank William John Jeffery. He is the son of Gabriel Francis Masters Jeffery and Emma Bullock. Gabriel Francis is the son of Gabriel Baker Jeffery and Alice Masters.

Frank W. J. Jeffery was the master of a barge called the Mary & Kate, owned bij de English & Continental Shipping Co. Ltd. in London.

He was born in Poplar in 1859 and died(?) in 1933. He visited Zierikzee (Zeeland, The Netherlands( in the 1890's. On one occasion he knocked my great great grandmother pregnant with a boy later my mother's grandfather. (born 1895)

Looking for living relatives and pictures of the family. My mother's grandfather was called Black Leen (Leendert) because of his black hair.

Any help most welcome!

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Arwin

This is one family that I didn't know about. Gabriel Francis certainly got about a bit. I have him as marrying an Eliza Fletcher at Basford in 1878 and having 5 or 6 children with her. There are then two possibilities, either he did have two marriages, or there were two Gabriel Baker Masters Jeffery. Checking census entries may clear that up.

As to pictures and other information, I don't have any as I live in Australia and have little access to other information. My sources in the UK are from another branch of the family as is my ancestry.

So, off to see what I can find.

Keith

Offline Arwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Gabriel was married twice, he died in Leeds in 1902. Are you related to this man?

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Gabriel was married twice, he died in Leeds in 1902. Are you related to this man?

That information I have. It looks like the Gabriel Baker Jefferys that I hypothesized may be two people are one, as the 1861 census and the 1881 census have him born in Cerne Abbas, Dorset. I guess now, I need to add Emma and any children from that marriage. So far, I've not been able to find Emma's birth. Are you able to help?

And yes, I'm related to him through Gabriel Baker's parents, William Jeffery and Susannah Baker. The relationship calculator has him a a 1st cousin, 3x removed, whatever that means.

I've found him in the 1861 and 1881 census, but not the 1871. :)

Is there any other information that I may have that will help you?

Keith