Author Topic: William Jeffery & family  (Read 7511 times)

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Jeffery & family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 November 15 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Did William JEFFERY bap. 6 Dec 1817 in Sherborne Dorset marry a Miss KINGBURGH?

I believe that his parents were William JEFFERY & Elizabeth ELLIOT who married 8 Jan 1800 All Saints' Dorchester, Dorset

Charles Fellowes JEFFERY born 1838 was William & Miss Kīs son.
Can anyone find the other members of the is family?

Muffin41

Well, it's good to see someone researching this lovely lot.

Some information (if you haven't already found it...)

William Vincent Jeffery was bap, 23 Dec 1807 in Sherborne. Kinburgh Forward Upjohn was bap, in Shaftesbury 27 March 1803. They were married in Melcombe Regis on 20 July 1829.

The William that married Susan (no marriage yet found) may have married Susanna Baker (one of their children was called Susanna rather than Susan). His parents seem to be William J and Elizabeth Ann Hart (one of their kids was Samuel Hart J). There are unfortunately 3 choices for his parents, the most likely being Thomas J and Hannah Wayfield who married in Castleton on 22 Dec 1737.

I'm still hunting for verification of all this...

Best regards, Keith Jeffery, Auckland NZ.

Offline Muffin41

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 November 15 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Welcome to RootsChat :) I hope that the site helps you with your researchs.
My research has errors in it which I have not corrected yet. ;)

William born 1777, parents could be William Jeffery & Elizabeth Elliot - NOT CONFIRMED.

I have not been following up this family for a while now. My cousin first twice removed on motherīs side of my family and a cousin on my fatherīs side of my family married a Jeffery from Dorset.

I believe that I have found the marriage for William Jeffery & Susanna Baker, 8 Jan 1800 at All Saints, Dorchester, Dorset.

I have not researched further back than this yet.

Look forward to any more information about the other children of William & Susanna if you have it.

Happy hunting :)

Muffin41
Pow in Bath Somerset, Essex, Middlesex, Lancashire, Surrey, Australia, New Zealand and USA
Bailey, Hare, in Bath & Taunton Somerset
Nash in Seend Wiltshire, Bath Somerset
Snook in Middlesex, Leicestershire, Surrey, Berkshire, Portugal and Canada
Billinghurst, Furlonger, Hoare, Huntingford, Tilbury, Webb in Surrey

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 November 15 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

William born 1777, parents could be William Jeffery & Elizabeth Elliot - NOT CONFIRMED.

I have not been following up this family for a while now. My cousin first twice removed on motherīs side of my family and a cousin on my fatherīs side of my family married a Jeffery from Dorset.

I believe that I have found the marriage for William Jeffery & Susanna Baker, 8 Jan 1800 at All Saints, Dorchester, Dorset.

I have not researched further back than this yet.

Look forward to any more information about the other children of William & Susanna if you have it.

Happy hunting :)

Muffin41

Great stuff.....

William was bap. 10 Jan 1783 in Sherborne, making him 17 at the time of this marriage.
There are only three children in the Sherborne PRs, Susanna born 6 Mar 1805, bap 24 July 1805, Gabriel Baker bap 25 Oct 1809 and William Vincent bap 23 Dec 1807.
No marriage yet found for Susanna, William Vincent married Kinburgh Forward Upjohn 20 Jul 1829 in Melcombe Regis. Gabriel Baker married Alice Guppy Masters 25 Dec 1833 Sherborne.
My lot comes from the William Vincent/Kinburgh Upjohn marriage (eventually).

Offline Muffin41

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 November 15 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I have found two references to wills on - https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

The son of William Vincent Jeffery; Charles Fellowes Jeffery who died 2q 1886 in Weymouth.
His son; William James Samuel Jeffery who died 2q 1923 in Weymouth.

If you don't find them on this Website let me know and I can p.m. you after you have sent three postings. That is when you have replied to this message. :)

Muffin41
Pow in Bath Somerset, Essex, Middlesex, Lancashire, Surrey, Australia, New Zealand and USA

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 April 17 13:11 BST (UK) »

I believe that his parents were William JEFFERY & Elizabeth ELLIOT who married 8 Jan 1800 All Saints' Dorchester, Dorset

Muffin41

A William Vincent Jeffery married Kinburgh Forward Upjohn in Melcombe Regis in 1829.
Kinburgh was born in Shaftesbury in 1803.
A couple of us looking at this family think that William Vincent Jeffery was born at Sherborne in 1807.
William Vincent Jeffery's parents are indicated as William and Susan in the Sherborne PRs.

I'm going to look at your ideas, as we've run into a brick wall with this family so new ideas are welcome.

Regards, Keith

Offline Muffin41

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 April 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
William Vincent Jeffery was baptised 23 Dec 1807 in Sherborne and married Kinburgh Forward Upjohn 30 Jul 1829 in Melcombe Regis, Dorset. From the 1841 & 1851 censuses they lived in Weymouth. William died 23 Nov 1860 in Melcombe Regis; Will - Kinburgh Jeffery of Melcombe Regis; widow of the Relict the sole Executrix. Effects under Ģ300.
Kinburgh Forward Jeffery died 17 Apr 1882 in Melcombe Regis, Will - Personal Estate Ģ350
Proved by William Richard Parsons Jeffery & Charles Fellowes Jeffery (Sons the Executors)

William Jeffery (father :-\) baptised 10 Jan 1783 in Sherborne married Elizabeth Elliott 8 Jan 1800 at All Saints, Dorchester. Death 3 Aug 1834 & burial 9 Aug 1834 St Mary (Abbey) Sherborne.
No other details for Elizabeth Elliott.

I hope this helps further. :D

Muffin41

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 April 17 13:13 BST (UK) »

Muffin41

Further information, based mostly on certificates, a bit on PRs. The idea here is to track back the parents of each generation until ye olde brick wall raises its head.... At this point I'll track back the paternal version. Maternal is equally important, just more difficult..... often.

1. Harry Jeffery was born 14 Feb 1904. His parents on the birth certificate are given as Bertram Harry Jeffery and Amy Jeffery, nee Melhuish. So far so simple....

2. Bertram Harry Jeffery was born 21 May 1874. On his birth certificate and his marriage certificate his father is given as Charles Fellowes Jeffery. On his marriage certificate, his wife is given as Mary Ann Sarah Frampton. The marriage is dated 2 Apr 1861. We can not find any other Charles Fellowes around the time frames required.

3. The marriage in (2) also gives William Vincent Jeffery as Charles father.

4. Now we go to the PRs. William Vincent Jeffery has an entry in the Weymouth PRs with a baptism date of 27 August 1837 with parents of William and Kinburgh. A search for William Vincent Jeffery reveals no other William Vincent Jeffery in the dates of interest.

5. A search for the William and Kinburgh marriage, turns up only one, 30 July 1829 Melcombe Regis.

6. We're not in trouble yet. Kinburgh is Kinburgh Forward Upjohn (from the marriage with William) and her family is fairly easily traced.

7. Now we're in trouble. The William Jeffery who married Kinburgh. There are a significant number of Williams that this may be. We traced through several of these Williams and took a William Jeffery baptised in Sherborne on 23 Dec 1807. The reasons will become apparent.

8. William bap 1807 has a parentage of William and Susan.

9. A marriage search turned up a William Jeffery married a Susan Baker in Dorchester in 1800. Tracing Susan located a Susan Baker bap at Yeovil in 1783. I believe that this Susan is solid as her name and the names of her parents (Gabriel Baker and Hester Toogood) are used for several of the children further down the tree. In this scenario, William is also baptised in 1783 at Sherborne. Accepting an 1800 marriage means that both would have been 17 at marriage. Is there a license somewhere? The birth of William and Susan's first child in 1805 (also Susan) would indicate a marriage year of about 1804. Can't find one.

10 Now to William. William Jeffery bap 1807 has a parentage of William and Elizabeth. A marriage search locates William Jeffery and Elizabeth Ann Hart married 12 Dec 1776. This might not be so solid as, although the Hart name has spread through the generations, there may be other reasons it got there.

So we need to determine the details of the William who married Elizabeth Ann Hart and confirm the details of Elizabeth herself (and whether or not this projected tree is accurate).

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Cheers, Keith Jeffery

Offline Muffin41

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 April 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
My Research has come up to the same conclusions as yours except for the marriage of William Jeffery to Elizabeth Ann Elliott instead of Susan Baker.

I have not been able to find any details for Susan; which Website did you find the baptism in Yeovil on? No luck either for a marriage license or Banns for her marriage to William Jeffery. It is possible that they did not marry. :-\

Elizabeth Ann Elliott also seems to be elusive as my sources of information have not come up with anything other than the marriage to date. She may have been born in another County; there are so many possibilities to research.

Cheers, Muffin41

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
My Research has come up to the same conclusions as yours except for the marriage of William Jeffery to Elizabeth Ann Elliott instead of Susan Baker.

I have not been able to find any details for Susan; which Website did you find the baptism in Yeovil on? No luck either for a marriage license or Banns for her marriage to William Jeffery. It is possible that they did not marry. :-\

Elizabeth Ann Elliott also seems to be elusive as my sources of information have not come up with anything other than the marriage to date. She may have been born in another County; there are so many possibilities to research.

Cheers, Muffin41

Hello, try this....

Dorchester, All Saints

William Jeffery of the parish of All Saints and Elizabeth Elliott of the Parish of All Saints were married by license 8 Jan 1800.

Elizabeth daughter of Robert & Elizabeth Elliott was baptised 5 Mar 1769.

Source: Dorset OPC, Dorchester.

I can't find any other references in Dorchester to either births or deaths, so they either left the parish or their deaths weren't recorded or the OPC has some mistakes.

Regards, Keith