Author Topic: St Thomas, Eccleston, Prescot  (Read 4733 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St Thomas, Eccleston, Prescot
« on: Sunday 16 December 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if the current church is the original or has it been rebuilt at some time? I can see that the first records on Lancs OPC are from 1839.  Also, there should be a cemetery, but on streetview, I can't see one.  I have loads of ancestors who are associated with the church and wonder where they would have been buried.

Many thanks for any help.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline jangeo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Thomas, Eccleston, Prescot
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 12 14:19 GMT (UK) »
The original Church was demolished around the turn of the last century and replaced with a new one.

The most likley place for burials would be St Helens Cemetery, if you go on line they have a searchable data base. which is very good.

If you would like a picture of the old St Thomas send me your email via private message and I will send it to you

GeoffW
Tambling-Runcorn //  Widnes // Woolton // Charlestown
Wycherley-Widnes // Shropshire
Kenyon-Widnes
Havard-Garston // Widnes // Portsmouth
Blackmore-Widnes // Barnstaple
Edwards-Therfield // Warrington // Toxteth

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 12 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Geoff, I'd love to see a picture of the old Church and will PM you.  I only ask about burials as Lancs OPC seem to have burials attributed to the church, so I would presume that at some stage there was a cemetery.  I use the borough cemetery site all the time and its a fantastic resource.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline jvy20

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

People were buried in St Thomas Eccleston grounds.

The Church served a poor area of St Helens and there are only a few headstones.

John
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jangeo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

was the burial ground opposite the church. I have a faint map of St Thomas's Church and on the opposite side of the street there is what looks like a fenced off area, there is no writing to say what it is or was.

Geoff
Tambling-Runcorn //  Widnes // Woolton // Charlestown
Wycherley-Widnes // Shropshire
Kenyon-Widnes
Havard-Garston // Widnes // Portsmouth
Blackmore-Widnes // Barnstaple
Edwards-Therfield // Warrington // Toxteth

Offline jvy20

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Pass on that. The headstones which are now visible are contained within the land that surrounds the Church.

Will see what I can find re position of any other land which was used for burials.

John

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, by the amount of 'burials' indicated on LOPC you would think that there were a fair few buried there.  I'll need to take a look next time I visit to see if mine have grave stones.  Kit

Offline jvy20

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Kit,

Just posted on St Helens Connect re burial ground of St Thomas - sure somebody on there will know

Had one reply which suggests burials were intered at Hewitt Avenue St Helens. The area was subsequently vandalised and now has been built over.

John

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, thanks for the info and sorry that I didn't reply sooner.  Work and Christmas are getting in the way  >:(

Hewitt Avenue is quite some distance from St Thomas.  Wonder why they would have buried there.

Kit