Author Topic: James Goldsworthy  (Read 8881 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Goldsworthy
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Another person told me that that James Goldsworthy married Kate Kenny and Priscilla, not Nora Rowe

Just adding a bit to Cando's post in case it is of use to someone else.  Please do not take this as gospel...

It seems that James G. son of John G. and Elizabeth ANDREW firstly immigrated to NZ.  He married Priscilla WALES and had a number of children there. https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/

They then went to Sydney where another child was born.  Wife Priscilla disappeared into the sunset and James went to Queensland where a number of children were born to Catherine/Kate KENNY (some GOLDSWORTHY, some KENNY).  They then went to WA where another child was born, and then returned to Queensland.

I suspect that this court case might be linked to the birth of a child to James' daughter Priscilla in 1896.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3632621

He appears to not have served the 15 years as a James and Kate G. are on the 1905 electoral roll at Gympie.

This is obviously not your family.

Your James and Lily gave their children some colourful names - do any of them crop up in Lily's family?

Debra  :D

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 22:07 GMT (UK) »
1861 Census
There appear to be 5 James Goldsworths born 1857 + or - 2 years on the 1861 Census, 4 in Redruth, and 1 in Launceston, Cornwall.

The Launceston James GOLDSWORTHY is a 5 year old boarder with no obvious relationship to the householders, and besides, as posted by Cando, James was from Redruth.

Of the four James GOLDSWORTHYs in Redruth, one family can be eliminated, as the father is Paul.

That leaves 3 possibilities…..

1. James GOLDSWORTHY aged 3 in Redruth with father John and mother Elizabeth, but the father is a Marine Dealer, not tied up with mining, though that doesn’t necessarily eliminate this family.
RG09/1579/129/20

2. James Goldsworthy aged 3 with no father listed. He’s the grandson of Sarah DUNSTAN, who also has a son William DUNSTAN who is an Engine Worker at a  Mine. So in this case there is a link to mining.
RG09/1579/150/27

3. James GOLDSWORTHY aged 5 with mother Anna, who is a school mistress and whose husband is abroad. The age looks a little old, but may be inaccurate as ages on censuses can be. However, once again there is no obvious link to mining.
RG09/1579/97/49

Dee    :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 22:45 GMT (UK) »
From FreeBMD....

John GOLDSWORTHY married Elizabeth ANDREW September Quarter 1849 Redruth 9/277
This seems to indicate they are the family in 1861 with son John born c1850 and son James born c 1858.

So is the James we're looking for the grandson of Sarah DUNSTON or the son of Anna GOLDSWORTHY whose husband is abroad? Or another John GOLDSWORTHY?

There were marriages for 15 men by the name of John GOLDSWORTHY in Redruth between 1849 and 1857.   ::)

It's a bit of a needle in a haystack.......    :-\

Dee    :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 23:20 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Sarah DUNSTAN's daughter Sarah Ann married a John GOLDSWORTHY at Redruth in 1855.  The two boys John and James are with their grandmother in 1861 and 1871 so perhaps they were orphaned?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

This James was employed in a Smith's shop in 1871, so maybe you would expect him to have become a Blacksmith?  Sarah seems to have been financially well off being a "Fund Holder" in 1871 and "Housekeeper/Proprietor" in 1861.  She may have left a Will.

Dee, can you read the notation for Sarah DUNSTON in 1861 which says "Wid. of ...?"

Offline wearethemods80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 23:44 GMT (UK) »
The information I got from my Grandmother before she passed, was that our James Goldsworthy was born on the 20th November 1857 in Redruth. I was looking at the BMD info, and I narrowed it down to the James living with the Dunstans. Very confusing!

Offline wearethemods80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »

Your James and Lily gave their children some colourful names - do any of them crop up in Lily's family?

There are some strange names in the Rowe family. Lily's siblings had some strange names.  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, and I see she didn't name any of the sons after her father!!

I suggest that you get this birth cert to see what the actual date of birth is....

Registered December Quarter 1857 
Goldsworthy,  James
Redruth    Vol. 5c   Page. 261

It is going to be a process of elimination I think.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you can also put a request on the Cornwall messageboard to ask if anyone has access to the parish registers to look for a baptism for James 1857/1858.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 00:03 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Sarah DUNSTAN's daughter Sarah Ann married a John GOLDSWORTHY at Redruth in 1855.  The two boys John and James are with their grandmother in 1861 and 1871 so perhaps they were orphaned?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

This James was employed in a Smith's shop in 1871, so maybe you would expect him to have become a Blacksmith?  Sarah seems to have been financially well off being a "Fund Holder" in 1871 and "Housekeeper/Proprietor" in 1861.  She may have left a Will.

Dee, can you read the notation for Sarah DUNSTON in 1861 which says "Wid. of ...?"

No. I can't Debra.

I'll post a snippet on the deciphering board shortly, and see if anyone on there can come up with what they think it says.

Dee   :)