Author Topic: Robert Pettigrew b1783 East Lothian  (Read 4523 times)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Pettigrew b1783 East Lothian
« on: Wednesday 19 December 12 21:23 GMT (UK) »
A while ago I was given this information re the above he is the brother of my gggg grandmother .

He was found in a list of " Scots in Mid Atlantic States ! 1783-1883 - Robert Pettigrew his wife Elenor and their family  John b 1805, Jane 1808, Ellen 1812  Ann 1815  he was Naturalised in New York and left from Leith for
America,
Looking for more information for this family if possible

Thanks

suzilad

Offline Retired researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Pettigrew b1783 East Lothian
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 12 20:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a Passenger and Immigration Record 1815 - 1826 for the family mentioned however there is also a daughter Margaret.  Census records for that period do not give much information except head of household.  There is also a Robert Pettigrew in New York who died Nove 8, 1853.  Are you sure your Robert Pettigrew died in 1883?  He would have been 100 years old.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 13 19:50 GMT (UK) »

I have no idea when Robert died . I thought there might be more children as there were quite big

gaps between their ages . I have been unable to find a marriage for Robert and Eleanor or any of

the children in Scotland.

Grateful for any help and advice.

suzilad

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 13 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzilad,

Had a look at this one from time to time but can find nothing concrete, there were quite a few Robert Pettigrew in New York.

Looking at FIND A GRAVE they show a few deaths for Robert Pettigrew but no birth years.

http://tinyurl.com/a5x4u5t

There was a November 1 st 1826 naturalization for Robert Pettigrew in Marine Court. NYC gave his age as 38 years so born 1788. Occupation :- Labourer.  Former Nationality:- English.
A couple of other naturalizations in 1834 and 1843 gave both as born England but no age or birth years :'(

Looked for a John Pettigrew born 1805 but the nearest match was a 1860 census entry for a John born 1810 Scotland, married to Mary -  Mary and the 3 children all born in New York.

John Pettigrew 50 Born Scotland. Contractor. Value of Real Estate 200,000
Mary Pettigrew 45 Born NY
John W Pettigrew 22 Born NY
Ellen R Pettigrew 20 Born NY
Leary J Pettigrew 18 Born NY

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MC48-6VH

Sorry nothing positive  :'(

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
               Thank you so much for having a look for them .
Thought they might be very difficult to find.

suzilad

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 August 14 02:06 BST (UK) »

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/CaledoniaLyndon.html
Lyndon Township, Caledonia County, Vermont.

"Robert Pettigrew was a native of Scotland, came to New York city in 1808, was a contractor on public works, and remained there until his death, at the age of sixty-three years. His son John, a native of Scotland, came to New York city when he was fourteen years of age, married Mary Innis, of that city, and reared four children; John, Ellen R., Mary J. and Robert. He was a contractor in New York city, where he died, aged sixty-three years. His son Robert married Mary E. Hall, and has reared seven children, viz.: Mary R., John, Hannah, Robert, Julia S., Mrs. Josephine Quimby, now dead, and Julia E., also deceased. Mr. Pettigrew resides in Lyndonville, on Park street. Mary R. Pettigrew, daughter of Robert, married Henry E., son of Larnard Watson, of Burke, and has seven children, viz.: Cora A., Claud, Ellie, Edna B., Guy H., Mary E. and Robert P. They reside in this town on road 13."

The patriarch Robert died 12 March 1849, and his wife, as Helen/Hellen, died 13 May 1860.  Both they and many family members are buried in Green-wood Cemetery.  You can search for them here:

http://www.green-wood.com/2010/burial-search/

I discovered a lot about your Robert Pettigrew and his descendants.  If you want me to post more, let me know.  They were an American immigrant success story.  Robert, his son John, and grandson John W. all became very wealthy as public works contractors for New York City.
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 September 14 20:16 BST (UK) »

Hi,
    Sorry I have just found your post . Thank you so much for posting this I would be very grateful if

you would post your info . or if you would rather all you need to do is make another post and we

can communicate by P.M.

May I ask are you descended from Robert.

Regards,

suzilad

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 September 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
The bio I gave you about Robert Pettigrew and his son and grandson came first from a local history book that you can see via Google, called  "Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, Vt. 1764-1887."  Search for that title + Pettigrew to pull up the exact page.

That bio states that Robert immigrated in 1808, but I question that date.  Since his youngest child was 6 years old in 1821, and born in Scotland, according to Robert's citizenship petition, then the family must have immigrated no earlier than 1815.  I found a first mention of him in 1818 in this:

Book:  Minutes of the Common Council of the city of New York, 1784-1831;
New York: The City, 1917, 14825 pgs.
Richard Varick; P V Livingston; Leonard Lispenard; Abraham Lott; et al

R. Pettigrew first shows up in minutes of 10 Aug 1818, under Accounts Audited: "Robt. Pettigrew--bal. Well in Rivington St., $89.25."  He continues building wells until 1826, then there is a jump to 1829 when the minutes report bills from him for filling up, regulating, and paving streets.  These continue through 1831.

As you've no doubt seen already:

Ancestry.com:  New York, Naturalization Petitions, 1794-1906
pgs. 388-9.
Robert Pettigrew
Declaration of intention: 16 Apr 1821, Marine Court, NYC.
Citizenship granted: 1 Nov 1826, Marine Court, NYC.
Exhibits presented (on page 388):
"Report by Robert Pettigrew, an alien, of himself and family made to the clerk of the Marine Court of the City of New York, the 16th day of April in the year 1821."
Robert Pettigrew, b. East Lothian, Scotland, age 38, labourer, emigrated from Leith.
Elenor Pettigrew, b. same, age 39
John Pettigrew, b. same, age 16
Margaret Pettigrew, b. same, age 14
Jane Pettigrew, b. same, age 13
Ann Pettigrew, b. same, age 6
Ellen Pettigrew, b. same, age 9

With the above information about the children, I found some marriage and death notices.

New-York Spectator, (New York, NY) Friday, September 17, 1830; col A
     Mr. Francis Duncan married Miss Jane Pettigrew, daughter of Mr. Robert Pettigrew, all of NYC. 

Wedding was held Friday evening, but no date given, so unknown if wedding was Sept. 17 or Sept. 10.

New-York Spectator, (New York, NY) Monday, December 30, 1833; col E
Dec. 24th, 1833, Mr. John C. Stanberry married Miss Helen, daughter of Robt. Pettigrew, all of New York City.

New-York Spectator, (New York, NY) Saturday, June 05, 1841; col F
At Manhattanville, 1 June 1841, Mr. George J. Byrd, of the firm of Macdonald & Byrd married Miss Hannah, daughter of Robert Pettigrew, Esq., all of NYC. 

They were married by the mayor of NYC.  Based upon subsequent census records, I suspect that Hannah was the Ann named in Robert's citizenship petition.

The following death notice shows Robert died in 1849, although his birthyear would have been 1780-81 if age 68 is accurate. This deviates from his declaration of intention which gave his age as 38 in 1821.  Even with that discrepancy,  I still feel this Robert who died in 1849 is your Robert as he does not appear in the 1850 census, although his widow does. 

Date: Saturday, March 17, 1849
Paper: Weekly Herald (New York, NY) , Volume: XV , Issue: 11 , Page: 88
DIED, 12 March 1849, Robert Pettigrew, aged 68 years, a native of Scotland, and for many years a resident of this city.

The New York Herald, (New York, NY) Tuesday, May 15, 1860; pg. 7; col D
Died, May 13, 1860,  Helen Pettigrew, relict of the late Robert Pettigrew, aged 94 years. The funeral services were held at the residence of her son-in-law, George J. Byrd, No. 6 West 29th Street.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Robert and Elenor/Ellen/Hellen are buried in Green-wood Cemetery, 500 25th Street Brooklyn, New York 11232.  Hellen Pettigrew is buried in the Byrd lot, instead of with her husband.

In 1850 Elenor, now widowed and now called Ellen, is in her son-in-law's household.

Home in 1850 census:    New York Ward 18, New York, New York
Household Members:   
Name    Age
Geo J Byrd    40, b. Ireland
Hannah Byrd    33, b. Scotland
Emma Byrd    12
Robt P Byrd    2
Ellen Peltigrew    70, b. Scotland
Ellen Sherriden    27

Likewise, here is a mid-decade census entry, with Elenor/Ellen still alive:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K67V-1N5
Event Date:    New York, State Census, 1855
Event Place:    E.D. 1, Ward 21, New York City, New York, New York, United States
Household    Role    Gender    Age    Birthplace
George J Byrd    Head    M    46   
Hannah Byrd    Wife    F    29   
Emma Byrd    Daughter    F    17   
Robert Byrd    Son    M    7   
Ida Byrd    Daughter    F    3   
Ellen Pettigrew    Mother-in-law    F    86   
Bridget Donohue    Servant    F    20   
Jane Sheridan    Servant    F    23

Family Number: 335 , Line Number: 10 , GS Film number: 1018665 , Digital Folder Number: 005207166 , Image Number: 00029

I have more research about Robert's progeny, but that will take another post.

I am not one of his descendants, but I do research into all Petticrew and Pettigrew lines.  John W., Robert's grandson, came to my attention before, so your initial question gave me reason to do some more digging. 

I am happy to share what I discover, but I like to share it by means of the forum rather than privately.  That way, the research can benefit others in the future.  You are welcome to PM me if you like, but I will report all that I know on this forum, so a PM may not be necessary.
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 September 14 19:13 BST (UK) »

Thank you so much for all this information on the Pettigrews .

I only suggested PMing you as a lot of people do not like to post all their research on line.

I shall have a look at the book you have suggested .

suzilad