Author Topic: Wallace/Montgomery marriage- completed  (Read 5317 times)

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wallace/Montgomery marriage- completed
« on: Thursday 20 December 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hey there

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with a marriage for William Wallace and Sarah Montgomery around 1878 to 1880 in Donegal. The children were born in the Ballymacool area from 1880 onwards, so am presumming Sarah and William may have married around that area.

Thank you

lil
Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline McDonnell86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace/Montgomery marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 December 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Putting both names into familysearch.org gives you this result.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYQ1-WJX

A William Wallace married in Ballymoney, between Jan - Mar 1878.

Yet there is a Sarah Montgomery who is not listed as marrying until later that year...

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYQ5-ZTL

Hope this helps a bit. Familysearch.org is a useful site, once you put in enough detail to filter out the incorrect ones.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 December 12 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Yet there is a Sarah Montgomery who is not listed as marrying until later that year...
Hope this helps a bit. Familysearch.org is a useful site, once you put in enough detail to filter out the incorrect ones.

Please ignore this information. For it to be the correct marriage there are certain details which MUST match- quarter/year, registration district, volume and page numbers.

Ballymacool is in the Poor Law Union/Registration district of Letterkenny, although that doesn't mean the marriage took place there- remember that marriages usually tak place in the bride's church.

Hopefully some will be able to find the correct marriage but I'm off to wander around our lovely new-look Rootschat  :)

P.S.- it looks like the 1878 marriage for William Wallace quoted about took place in the registration district of Ballymoney, County Antrim which is nowhere near Donegal.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McDonnell86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 12 00:01 GMT (UK) »

Please ignore this information. For it to be the correct marriage there are certain details which MUST match- quarter/year, registration district, volume and page numbers.

Ballymacool is in the Poor Law Union/Registration district of Letterkenny, although that doesn't mean the marriage took place there- remember that marriages usually tak place in the bride's church.

Hopefully some will be able to find the correct marriage but I'm off to wander around our lovely new-look Rootschat  :)

P.S.- it looks like the 1878 marriage for William Wallace quoted about took place in the registration district of Ballymoney, County Antrim which is nowhere near Donegal.

I was aware of the mismatched information, hence my use of "yet." I would only say that a match is a match if it has the information you list above.

We should probably take some human error into account of course, both at the time and at the digitization stage? But this isn't the place for such debate I think!

Thanks for the clarifications aghadowey and best of luck with your search lil growler!  :)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 December 12 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

a William Wallace married a Sarah Montgomery reg district Milford 1879, Williams father was Joseph Wallace, Sarah's father was George Montgomery

This marriage took place at Glenalla, COI Church, Rathmullan

A George Montgomery is recorded in Griffith 1857 living in the townland of Anny, Far & Near, Parish of Killygarvan

A William Wallace is recorded in the same records as living in the townland of Glenalla, Parish of Aughnish

This marriage does not seem to be included in the Family search site

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 December 12 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

McDonnell and Aghadowey, thanks for your help. Joe...thats exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I've been trying to tie Sarah in with George Montgomery. George in Anny is my 2x great grandfather. I'm pretty sure this Sarah is now his first born child. Her daughter Martha Wallace is on either the 1901 or 1911 ireland census in Anny with George.

Regards

lil :)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 December 12 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Just a small typo in my last reply I meant

Joseph Wallace not William Wallace in the Griffith record although I see a William Wallace was living next door!

Glad my information was able to help

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 December 12 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Joe

Understood your typo :)

I thought I saw a modify button but can't find it now - just want to change the orignal header to complete

Thanks

lil

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 December 12 11:29 GMT (UK) »
With the new software you now have 24 hours to check your posts for typos etc. 
After that they can't be modified.

You can always ask a moderator to correct the worst mistakes.  Unfortunately too many people were using the edit facility to change the information in their posts after further information had been received. This meant that some of the following replies suddenly made no sense.

The new software does, however, allow you to use 'report to moderator' button on your own posts  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!