Author Topic: British Home Child - Mafey SKELTON  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Aussie Gypsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Home Child - Mafey SKELTON
« on: Friday 21 December 12 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello
This is my first post on roots.chat so I am hopeful that someone can help with my brickwall.
I have a BHC Mafey SKELTON born 1900 in Sheffield and sent to Peterborough in 1912 via Barnardos. She had a relationship and child (possibly children) with Alfred OWEN who was the superintendant of Hazelbrae House.  I have been unable to find a marriage for her and the last known place she was was in Toronto working for a telephone company in 1920's.  She returned to England and had a child and then returned to Canada without the child.
Any help appreciated.
Thank you

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: British Home Child - Mafey SKELTON
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome

The link below shows Mafey Owen b 1899 left Liverpool for Quebec in 1925

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action?redef=0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Aussie Gypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 12 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes you are quite right - that was her returning from England after she had a baby.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 12 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Incoming passenger lists show her arriving 4.12.1924 from Canada address of destination given as 7 House 1 Court Portobello St Sheffield

Female child b March qtr 1925 in Sheffield
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Aussie Gypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 December 12 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks for that.  I was hoping for some info that is post 1920's - like the Canadian voters lists in the 1930's - I think they are on ancestry.com but I don't have a current subscription - was wondering if someone could take a look for me - or any other Canadian records for the 1930's or 40's.  Any ideas or suggestions of databases I could search would be great.  I have always thought that because of her unusual christian name she would be easy to find but thats certainly not the case.
Thanks in advance.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 December 12 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello and a warm welcome to RootsChat  :).

The passenger manifest for Mafey's return trip to Canada indicates she is going to her husband Alfred Owen in Kelowna British Columbia.

An Alfred Owen can be found in the voters list in Kelowna in 1935 and 1940 (Kelowna is under Yale). He is a Merchant. There is no wife listed with him. Wives in those years were generally listed as Mrs with husband's name. I did also look for a Mafey Owen and Mafey Skelton with no luck. There are no apparent voter listings for Alfred in Kelowna in later years.

I did not find a death for Mafey in the BC records which can be searched here for free ...

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/textual/governmt/vstats/v_events.htm

Is there a possibility that Mafey may have left Alfred and returned to live in England?

You might wish to check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition. This would give you access to the Canadian records.

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 December 12 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Is there a possibility that Mafey may have left Alfred and returned to live in England?

There is no marriage or death entry for her in England

Offline Aussie Gypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 December 12 03:48 GMT (UK) »
This is my brickwall - she just disappears - I can't believe that I can't find any trace of her with such an unusual christian name! Thanks for your help. :(

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 December 12 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Was she born "Mafey"? This is a very unusual name and I am just wondering if it is a nickname and she has an 'official' name that her death is registered under? If not, I take it you have checked for misspellings?

Added: I have just found her birth registered as .... Mafey.  :)