Author Topic: Bryant / Briants of Beckley  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bryant / Briants of Beckley
« on: Sunday 23 December 12 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information relating to the John Bryant who married Rebecca Russell in Beckley in 1700. I have 2 children for them, namely Richard 1704 and Thomas 1702, both christened in Beckley.

I have been unable to find a burial record for either however there was a John, son of John, buried in Beckley 1714. There is also a marriage between a Rebecca Bryant and Eli Lavinder in Beckley 1717 but unfortunately it doesn't say whether she was a widow. Rebecca Lavender died in Beckley 1758 but no age was given and I haven't found any children to this marriage.

It has been suggested that John and Rebecca could have also been the parents of John C1700, father of Rebecca who was born in Tenterden 1734, but I have been unable to find any evidence to support this.

One possible connection is their son Thomas (1702), who married Elizabeth Hovenden in Northiam 1724 where they appear to have had only one daughter, Mary 1725. They may have been the same family that had 2 further children in Tenterden - Elizabeth 1727 and John 1730.

To confuse things further, many people seem to think that Rebecca (1734) was also the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth, and the fact that the christening showed her father as John is a transcription error?

Any help would be much appreciated.