Author Topic: another of Eugenie's husbands: George Brown  (Read 2097 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: another of Eugenie's husbands: George Brown
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 December 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
JONQUIL!  while I have been wasting time sleeping you have been finding what I wanted to find..... thank you so much. No mention of family. hmmmmm.

Marriage cert for George/ Eugenie states George was a seaman. Death cert for that George Brown says he was just a lead worker. I thought... well, he may have given up the sea. Its reasonable. However when I received the death cert on Thursday, something didn't seem right about it. It didn't fit - not sure why. There are a couple of possibilities: yes, this is the George and Eugenie has already left him, or vice versa (and she did have her 4 - sorry, only 4 - children by James Robbins with her). Or no, this was never the right George Brown and the real one is yet to be discovered. There is another possible death for a George Brown in the area George Eli Brown -but I am not sure). Or George Brown could have gone back to sea.

Yes, Alfred is the surviving son of William Cracknell's former marriage. I am fond of William too.... a scene painter/artist, quite itinerant, maybe did sign painting or even portraits? Alfred seems to have been an artist too (when not in the lunatic asylum). What is even more interesting is that I found James Robbins as a boarder in the tenement house Eugenie was living in with her 'new' husband George Day. Perhaps he was looking after their children.

Additional addresses for Eugenie I have from school registrations for the children and who knows? more may turn up for that fateful period between Jul 1887  and 1890 when Eugenie at last married a keeper - the bachelor George Day who outlived her. I may yet find out what happened to George Brown. Incidentally Eugenie's father, Mark James Jarvis also had bigamous marriages, as did her elder sister Ruth Elizabeth. Must run in the family (I hasten to add that this trend wore out before my generation! )  ;D
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Vee_02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 00:36 BST (UK) »
I am sincerely hoping you are still receiving notifications, because you may have the answer to my brick wall! I am looking for details regarding the Robbins connection! My GG Grandfather was James Robbins, born circa 1885 Bethnal Green. We have no idea who is mother was, but his dad was also James born circa 1862 Mile End!

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 01:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am still here.... just looked up my tree and of the men connected with Eugenie, there is no Robbins born 1885/1862. she had a relationship with James Kingston Greenwood Robbins  1840 - 1905 and they had a son, James George Robbins, born 1875. Eugenie and James were together for about 6-8 years and had 4 children in total. James KG Robbins was the son of another James Robbins and Sarah. I haven't looked into their lives at all, but your Robbins could be connected.... do you have any more details? cheers
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Vee_02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
Oh Damn! What a shame. I am revisiting my tree after several years and thought finally a line of enquiry had opened up! C'est la vie! Thanks for your reply though!