Author Topic: What's at 7-9, Water St., Lavenham now?  (Read 6384 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
What's at 7-9, Water St., Lavenham now?
« on: Thursday 02 June 05 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Lavenham seems to be a much-visited and admired place today.  But can anyone tell me whether 7-9 Water Street, Lavenham are old buildings still, or not.  I have a possible ancestor who was a blacksmith there in 1650...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
Re: What's at 7-9, Water St., Lavenham now?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 05 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Have you tried posting on:

http://www.lavenham.co.uk/

Someone "on the ground" may be able to help.

Deborah
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 June 05 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Dimps,
I'll try and e-mail someone there.  Actually, I really ought to stir my stumps and get across to Lavenham to see for myself (dodging the inevitable coach parties)...
Best wishes,
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 June 05 14:40 BST (UK) »
Just to put the cap on this now,
I e-mailed someone at the Tourist Information at Lavenham today, Sunday, and had a reply within half-an-hour to confirm that this is indeed still an original, ancient dwelling, but privately owned now.
Will be taking my camera along to Lavenham in the next fortnight or so...
Keith

Offline booger

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 05 15:12 BST (UK) »
I've got Lingley ancestors too. I have a photo of this row of shops. Can email it if you want.

My email is: Email addy removed to prevent spamming.  Please use personal messaging system to exchange personal details.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 August 05 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, Booger,
I did actually go to Lavenham in June, but that row of houses was covered with scaffolding for one reason and another, so the photos I tried to take were not very good.  I would very much like to have a photo of 7-9 Water Street, so will PM you now with my e-mail address.
Thanks so much for this...!
Keith

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I've also got lingley ancestors  who lived at 11 water street , and thomas lingley according to family trees on ancesrty lived at 7-9 he had a daughter martha married to Henry game who was a blacksmith in the high road in 1841 . I've just seen another link about the lingley family which I have also replied to . So just wondering does anyone know where the blacksmith shop would have been in the high street and has anyone managed to find 7-9 water street and number 11 when I visited the town last week number 11 was a Victorian house someone suggested it may have been the old forge

Any help would be great

Chees

G

Offline Katieg89

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 January 17 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I can see that this is a very old thread. I have been doing a little bit of digging, as we own number 8 Water Street. I have come across some images and video footage that shows that the blacksmith's was actually located between 7-9 Water Street. You can see where the entrance to the forge was as the pavement has been dropped! It is still like that to this day. The image I have is from when Mr Huffey was the Blacksmith 'Huffey & Sons'.

By Easter this will be a self catering holiday cottage, as number 8 formed part of the forge, staying true to it's heritage, it will be aptly named. I've attached an image!

Regards,

Katie

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 January 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katie

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply on this thread . I think my ancestors were the blacksmiths in water street before the huffy family took over . I've stood outside the row of houses many times trying to work out where exactly the blacksmith was . I always feel uneasy so I will send  my apologies for staring !! It's a fascinating street , I had quite a few ancestors live into street from the early 1800s one of my lot rented the large building on the corner I think at one point it was also used as a blacksmith . Its been quite difficult trying to find out where most of them lived unfortunately only sheduel numbers on the census I think one had number 11 which could have been a house number has it was within the address area on the census . Anyway thanks again I love the photo