Author Topic: History of pubs in Somerset  (Read 9518 times)

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: History of pubs in Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 October 05 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mick for all your help. Yes I think the librarians were right to suggest it was probably a house premitted to sell alchol.  I believe the Three Choughs Hotel was run by a Maria Bullen at one stage who may have some connection to the family as Edward Marsh's son married a Mary Bullen Bartlett at Mappowder.
Franklin, Maish/Marsh from Dorset then London,Simons/Symonds and varients from Kiddington, Oxfordshire, Hanks from Stonesfield, Leach from Brighton, Smith from Brighton & Henley, Oxfordshire, Fakes/Feakes @ Wells from Suffolk, Lane from Botley & Basingstoke,  Reynolds from Norfolk, Douglass from Bethnal Green, later in Reading and Barnes/Richmond Surrey, Sibley from Hillingon @ Hayes Middx, Tansell @ Watton

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 October 05 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have also found the mention of Edward and Silvia Marsh in the momumental inscriptions for Yeovil cemetary.

Headstone:

In memory of Edward Marsh who departed this life Nov 19 1862 aged 37

Also of Silvia Marsh who died April 10th 1866 aged 49 years.

Her end was peace.

As I was at the cemetary I took a pic of the headstone,it's quite weathered but still just about readable,I would be happy to post it here for you if you don't already have it.

Regards,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick! Thank you for all your work on my behalf on the Marsh family.  I had found the momumential inscritption on the FamilyHistory online site but would love a pic if you could post it here for me, i would be very grateful.

Interestingly the age for Edward is incorrect perhaps because the stone is weathered it is difficult to read.

Thanks again, Mick

From Minnieccat
Franklin, Maish/Marsh from Dorset then London,Simons/Symonds and varients from Kiddington, Oxfordshire, Hanks from Stonesfield, Leach from Brighton, Smith from Brighton & Henley, Oxfordshire, Fakes/Feakes @ Wells from Suffolk, Lane from Botley & Basingstoke,  Reynolds from Norfolk, Douglass from Bethnal Green, later in Reading and Barnes/Richmond Surrey, Sibley from Hillingon @ Hayes Middx, Tansell @ Watton

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Minniecat,

It's no trouble,I've had loads of help from others here and it's always nice to be able to give something back. :)

I was at the cemetary again today and I had another look at the headstone and I agree that the age given in the monumental inscriptions for Edward is wrong.On the stone it  looks like 37 but on closer inspection it does say that he was 57.

Here are 2 pics of the headstone,appologies for the close up but without it the inscription can not be read at all,the second pic shows the stone in situ.

Regards,Mick ;)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you have this info, but incase you haven't,here are the other Marsh burials in Yeovil cemetary.

Ada E   d.1914

Albert B  d.1940

Chas. G.N  d.1911

Chas.J  d.1940

Dolly d.1906

Emily N  d.1887

Emily S d.1917

Lucy  d.1942

W   d.1880

Regards,Mick ;)

British Military History

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks alot Mick. No I hadn't got the other Marsh burials at Yeovil.  Edward Marsh was my Greatx3 Grandfather.  Silvia was his second wife.

Offline Muzza427

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 June 15 04:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,
I just joined and picked up this thread. There is a very good website by Bob Osborn depicting the traders of Yeovil - My family (Bollen) were licensees of several
http://www.yeovilhistory.info/traders-byname.html
His website
http://www.yeovilhistory.info/index.htm
gives the specifics of the pubs and their location, and where possible some of the previous licensee history. A great resource.
Murray
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bollen origins Somerset England and Australia, Folder Family Sydney Australia.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 June 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Kelly's 1897 has a Herbert Marsh, Beer Retailer, 61 Hendford. Cannot find reference to either pub
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!