Author Topic: On this day in JANUARY ...  (Read 56290 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: On this day, in JANUARY
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 January 13 10:03 GMT (UK) »

A 1st cousin, once removed;  Ellen Alice Pembrey, born 3 January 1920 in London, daughter of Thomas Frederick and Sophia Alice (nee Kingsman). Her mother divorced her father and remarried in 1929.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 03 January 13 11:12 GMT (UK) »
1st Cousin 5 x R Benjamin Chisholm b 03/01/1809 Lauder, Berwickshire, son of Andrew & Margaret Chisholm nee Blair.

3g Aunt Mary Taylor b 03/01/1827 Troqueer, Kirkudbright, daughter of Robert & Janet Taylor nee Bell.

2nd Cousin 4 x R Elizabeth Rachel Falconer b 03/01/1869 Kinloss Township Ont, daughter of William Ayton Falconer & Mary Falconer nee Lockhart.

1st Cousin 1 x R George Hastie, son of George & Bella Hastie nee Louden m Janet Bell 03/01/1952 Leitholm, Berwickshire
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 03 January 13 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Peter Pemberton my 1st cousin twice removed was born in Kingsley, Cheshire in 1864. He died aged 11 in 1875.

Alice Jane Dawson my husband’s g.aunt was baptised in Manchester Cathedral in 1869.

Edwin Wagstaff my husband’s 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Warwick in 1803.  His mother was on yesterday’s list as she died on 2 January 1840, so at least Edwin and his sister were adults by then.

Sarah Spraggett my husband’s 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Leamington Hastings in 1799.  Her parents were on yesterday’s list as they married on 2 January 1777.  Sarah was their 12th out of 15 children (poor mother she had her first child when she was aged 19 and her 15th child when she was aged 46.  She must have been worn out!)

Thomas Henry Cockett my maternal grandfather died of Tuberculosis of Lungs of 6 months duration in Harpurhey on this day in 1922 only 14 months after his eldest daughter also died from complications of TB.  Fortunately, no-one else in the family succumbed to the disease.  I only have two photographs of him, one holding my mother who must have been about 18 months old, so taken around 1913 and another one, where he looks much older, although he only lived another 8 years.  He looks quite a frightening stern man, I wonder what he was like when young as my gran looked so pretty in a photograph I have of her which I guess was taken some time between the ages of 16 and 19 when she married.  He was a year younger.  My mum didn’t say much about him as she was only 10 when he died, but she did remember that having had 6 daughters, the son he had always wanted arrived followed by another baby son who died aged 3 days, and then she arrived 15 months later.  Having got the son he wanted, he was amenable to another girl and mum’s older sisters said she was his favourite and was always taking her out.  Mum says that is only because he wanted to go to the pub and she was his excuse! 

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 04 January 13 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Today is my sisters birthday, she's 46 but don't tell anyone   :)
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 04 January 13 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Only 3 today.

Mary Ann Pemberton my 2 x g.g.aunt was born in Witton, Cheshire in 1816

James Gaunt my 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Denby, Yorkshire in 1770.  He was the 7th child of my 4 x g.grandparents.   Fortunately, they had 11 children in all, as the 11th was my 3 x g.grandmother!

Mary Ann Dye my 2 x g.grandmother was buried in Halesworth Cemetery, Halesworth, Suffolk in 1871.  She was the 5th of 11 children and although she died aged only 53, (she was the one who died on 30 Dec after bursting a varicose vein in her leg) her mother lived until the age of 81 and her father to the age of 76.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 04 January 13 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello and Happy New Year to everyone.

I missed my entries for January 1st, what with being otherwise occupied, bringing in the New year with forty-three friends, on a Scottish island.

So, belatedly, here they are:
January 1st

1756 - John Crossland, baptised Spennithorne. A 6 x great uncle.
1818 - John Raitt, baptised Old Machar, Aberdeenshire. 4 x great uncle.
1870 - Mary Ann Allan Raitt, born Newhills Aberdeenshire. 1st cousin x3.
1888 - James Frost, born Middlesbrough. My maternal grandmother's first husband. He has been mentioned in earlier threads. He died during the flu' epidemic which followed WW1.

1860 - Sarah Howe ( nee Noakes) died in Tollesbury, Essex. My 4 x great grandmother of whom I know precious little. Maybe I should make it my business to investigate the Noakes line during 2013.

I have nothing to offer for 2nd, 3rd or 4th January, so see you all again tomorrow, by which time I hope to be less infectious. At the moment I fear you could become ill just by reading my posts!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 04 January 13 13:01 GMT (UK) »
On 4th Jan 1739 my 5 x Great grandparents John Boyce and Elizabeth Morrison married at Winkfield Berks.
He became the second master of Earl Ranelagh's charity school at Winkfield.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 04 January 13 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Born somewhere in Manchester, 4th January, 1861, John James Stubbs, baptised later in the same month in Manchester Cathedral.   20 years later he is recorded as a 'stationery clerk' in the 1881 census.    He was an older brother to my Great Aunt Lizzie's husband George Stubbs.   By 1888 at the age of 26 he had emigrated to Manitoba, in Canada (haven't found out what he did there) and his 16 year old brother George went with him.

John James married (in Canada) a girl from Scotland, also an immigrant, in 1890, and they had eight children, one of whom I mentioned on the December thread, Herbert, who was killed on the Somme in 1916 at the age of 23.

I must add to my 'to do' list .... what did these brothers do in Canada ?   George eventually married my Great Aunt and became a homesteader in Saskatchewan, but no idea about John James.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 04 January 13 15:18 GMT (UK) »

I must add to my 'to do' list .... what did these brothers do in Canada ?   George eventually married my Great Aunt and became a homesteader in Saskatchewan, but no idea about John James.

1891 census says farmer but by 1901 he is a music teacher, if that is any help