Author Topic: Denman One Name Study & DNA Project  (Read 1616 times)

Offline lizjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Denman One Name Study & DNA Project
« on: Wednesday 02 January 13 14:54 GMT (UK) »
My name is Liz Jones and I have started a Denman One Name Study and associated DNA Project at Family Tree DNA. I have been researching the history of the Denman surname since 1999.  Through my research I have become very interested in the history of the Denman name and its origins, as well as tracing my own Denman line.

A Surname Project traces members of a family that share a common surname. The project is just getting started, and we expect to have many exciting discoveries. Participating is an opportunity to
uncover information not provided in the paper records, which will help with your family history research. We will also discover which family trees are related. As the project progresses, the results for the various family trees will provide information about the evolution of the surname. Are all people with the surname Denman related? Where did the name originate? I can’t promise
you the answers to these questions but by contributing to the study we will all
learn more about the name.

Early indications are that there are at least two lines of origin of the Denman surname.

The Y DNA test tells you about your direct male line, which would be your father, his father, and back in time. You must be male to take this simple cheek swab test, and you should bear the
Denman surname, although if you believe there is a Denman or variant in your direct male line, despite having a different surname, you are also welcome to participate. If you are female, you will need to find a direct line male Denman in your family tree to take the test and represent your tree, such as your father, brother, uncle or cousin.

Tests ordered through this project are charged at the special group rate which provides a substantial saving on the standard FTDNA price. By the way, I don’t work for Family Tree DNA, nor do I benefit financially – I’ve just volunteered to start and administer the Denman project
in the hope that it will be of help to Denman researchers.

You can have a look at the Profile Page for my One Name Study here - http://www.one-name.org/profiles/denman.html.
Further information about the DNA Project is available here: https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Denman, or if you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact
me using the same link or via this message board.

Kind regards
Liz Jones

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Denman One Name Study & DNA Project
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 April 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I just discovered my 5th great grandfather is William Denman bap 5 Nov 1869 in Lopen Somerset.

Just thought I'd says hi even though I'm a girl.

Dee Jones
Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Offline lizjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee, lovely to hear from you! It's always good to hear from another Denman researcher, especially one with South Petherton connections- that's my branch too! Liz

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

Not just a Denman connection but Jones as well lol

My Denman connection ends when Rebecca Denman married Joseph Bartlett in 1821 in Lopen, and from there I'm Bartlett, Cable, Lang and Perry all South Petherton area, my mother was a Perry.  So my Denman line goes from 1700-1821, I've only wandered through the parish records on ancestry so far so it's not very good.

Dee

Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 April 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Liz -

I attempted to look at the FTDNA Denman project but you currently have the project set to private. I can not even see the admin contacts. I found three Denman's under haplogroup R at 67 markers: 181362, 203578 and 211865.

I normally do not send emails to private projects since any interchange of information is one-way. I highly recommend that you make both the YSTR and YSNP reports set to "Anyone" vs. "Project Only." It may sound good to keep projects private but you are not making your submissions public to be researched by haplogroup researchers which have the highest level skills and could give your members advice on testing options. By keeping your Denman project private, you are really on your own for giving out advice to your project members due no other researchers even knowing that your testers even exist for analysis.

Privacy vs. accessibility is a major tradeoff. Privacy does make the data more restrictive to access and allows you to protect that data that you have been made in charge of. But this privacy comes at major economic disadvantage since other researchers who can assist your members are not aware of your project member test results - unless they belong to another project that is made public.
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline lizjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 April 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee!
Yes, what a coincidence! Wouldn't it be funny if we were related on the Jones line as well as Denman! FreeReg has good coverage for Somerset, and you might also find this website useful: http://www.southpethertoninformation.org.uk. I don't know if you're on Facebook but I've started a group just for those who have Somerset Denman ancestry, this is the URL: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DenmanOfSomerset/?ref=ts&fref=ts.
Liz

Offline lizjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 April 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert
Thanks for your thoughts. I would be happy to have the results public, but 2 members who do not want their results displayed online, and agreed t test on this basis. When I last tried, I couldn't pick and choose whose results were displayed, it was all or nothing. I hope to set up a separate project website soon where I can remove from display the results of anyone who doesn't want their results displayed. All project members are advised to join the relevant haplogroup project, whose admins can advise on SNPs.
Liz

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 April 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
The two testers can change their settings to private. Unfortunately, both you and they will no longer be able contact matches since FTDNA does not allow private individuals to exchange information. You can then keep track of their results manually. They can allow you to access their data by allowing you to share the password which is better way to allow only you to see their data and then remove from the project / making your project public.

A best choice is to remove these two people from your project (keeping their data manually) and then changing the project's privacy settings to public. If anyone prefers to keep their data private, I would not encourage them to test in the first place. It is better to try to locate others than are more willing to share their results. Also, if their cousins test, most of the information will become public over time which out of their control.

You really do not want two individuals to ruin the accessibility for your project. It is much better not to encourage anyone who has fears about privacy. Also, the only privacy issue is the ability to identify individuals which over time will happen as more people test. There are really very minimal issues concerning medical privacy for YDNA testing.
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland