Author Topic: Expense  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Expense
« on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello was wondering if anyone knows of any other cheaper way of finding info on certs other than ordering them at 9.25 a pop its working out so expensive and I just can not afford it. I mean like is there any website or something you can just pay for a email of info ie tell them the marriage date etc and names and they email you anymore info? I dont no i no its a long shot but I may even have to close my ancestry membership for a while I just have so many certs I need to order
Thankyou

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Expense
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Not unless you can locate any parish copy of a marriage.
Baptisms if found give date(s) but not MMN for example.
A parish burial record typically gives only name and age, so not as much as a death cert.

Closing Ancestrysubs  for a while to buy certs can be worthwhile.

It's still accessible at many libraries for free.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Sadly I thought as much thankyou for replying so quickly looks like I may have to close ancestry for a while and order a cert a month or so.
Thankyou again

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Short answer is - not really!

You might be lucky and find copies of marriage records online such as the London marriages on Ancestry.  More and more parish records are becoming available via Ancestry, FindMyPast and familysearch etc, so it will depend on the counties you need.  You can also go to records offices too obviously, but that's not much use if you live in Northumberland and all your ancestors lived in Cornwall!

I can't really afford to regularly buy certs, so tend to only get them if the info they contain is vital, otherwise I just make a note of the reference for when I win the lottery  ;D

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I no what you mean about lottery  :) my list is so long now thats the problem I keep jotting down the ones I need then going off on a different branch of tree now I seem to be completly stuck and NEED the certs.
Thankyou

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Not unless you have Scottish ancestors, then you can buy credits and do a search and download the results.  I found my grandfather that way (English but died in Scotland).  The Scottish death certs are wonderful, they gave date and exact place of death, cause of death and, even though my grandfather was 41 at the time, his parents names, plus mother's maiden name were given.  So much more info than you'll get on an English cert.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 16:48 GMT (UK) »

It's also particularly disappointing, (& expensive) when the Cert you have ordered turns out to be wrong:-(

I ordered 10 looking for a Birth for my late Grandfather, (William James Wilson, 1860 - 1937) and not one of them fitted the info I already had!

I've had to call a halt now...

Romilly :-\
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 18:20 GMT (UK) »
*** And when you DO buy a Cert, please put a postem on FreeBMD! ***

(this is my periodical reminder to everyone - if we all did this, there'd be a huge amount of extra info on freeBMD)

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 18:28 GMT (UK) »
You may not need all the certificates. 

Put some of your blocks (where you can't seem to get any further) on here on rootschat and people will see what they can come up with.   Do separate post for each set of names.  It's amazing what can be found without certs, but you will need some essential ones. 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"