Author Topic: Gibbons in Chicago from County Mayo Ireland  (Read 7014 times)

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbons in Chicago from County Mayo Ireland
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 January 13 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Sandra. I have no idea if he came back to Ireland. My uncles dont know either. So it seems the only relatives we know of are the Faheys who were Marys children. Ive been looking on Mayo Ancestors and found one more sister ! Honor Gibbons christened 20 July 1882 but no date of birth. We presume she went to Chicago as well. I also have a christening date for Catherine Gibbons 31 July 1886 and a date of birth for my grandfather Patrick Gibbons who was in Chicago from 1912-1925 roughly. Patrick was born on 1 April 1890.

I hope someone may have some information  :)

Thanks

Brendan

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. I've recently found out that my grandfather Patrick Gibbons may have worked on ships during his time in Chicago. He was in the USA from 1912 to about 1924 and he was born in Ireland on 1 April 1890. Maybe he was called up to World War 1 ??

I would be grateful if anyone knew how I could find out more information

Thanks  :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brendan,

There are WW1 Drafts on the family search site - didn't find anything for Patrick last time but you could check here:-

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1968530

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra. I still can't find anything for Patrick in the WW1 drafts, but I've been in contact with the Faheys in the USA, the family of Mary Gibbons Fahey !

So, the only families we know of belong to Anthony in Co.Kildare, Ireland......Mary in Chicago......and my grandfather Patrick who returned to Co.Mayo, Ireland.

There's no trace of Ann Gibbons Stanton after 1940......Michael never married and died in Chicago around the 1950s.....John died in Ireland around 1918.....Thomas died in Cleveland, Ohio in 1923...There's no sign as yet of Kate who apparently went to the USA, and Honor is a mystery. She possibly died in Ireland at a young age, but I will try to find out.

We now think Patrick returned to Ireland around 1924, after about 12 years in the USA, maybe as there were no sons or daughters living in Ireland to take over the family farm, except Anthony who was already married living on another farm. Michael ( the eldest ) would have been in his mid 40s, so maybe had no interest in leaving the USA. Maybe Tom ( the youngest son ) intended to return to Ireland before he died at a young age in 1923 ? Patrick married my grandmother Bridget Kerins in 1925 and they had a family in Ballyart.

I would be interested to know when Tom arrived in the USA or if anyone had any more information about him. His date of birth was 20 April 1899, and I can't find any trace of him at Ellis Island.

Thank You.

Brendan

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 July 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could this be Anne/|Annie Gibbons/Stanton ?

Anna Stanton - 8 Mar 1902 Died Oct 1972
Last Residence 60638  Chicago, Cook, Illinois.
SSN issued Illinois  - Before 1951

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 July 13 20:46 BST (UK) »
Chicago Illinois City Directory 1947

4050 Adams - Lawrence A Cooke. Margaret Cooke. Michael Gibbons. Alice Prasch. Donald J Prash. Jas L Prash. Lawrence A Prash. Margaret Prash. Annie Stanton and Patrick Stanton.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 July 13 20:48 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is Patrick Stanton - Patrick J Stanton - Cook County, Illinois - 9 Apr 1950

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 July 13 21:27 BST (UK) »
In reply 15 you indicated Michael had probably died about 1950.

There was a death of Michael Gibbons - 28 Apr 1949 - Cook Illinois.

and Michael Gibbons - 7 Jan 1953 - Cook Illinois.

Discounted Michael Joseph Gibbons - 11 Aug 1952 - Cook Illinois (he was born 1914 in Illinois)

Sandra