Author Topic: Robert EDGAR / Margaret McKinley MCKEAN, parents of Allan Wedderlie EDGAR b Cuba  (Read 12133 times)

Offline saltwater

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert EDGAR / Margaret McKinley MCKEAN, parents of Allan Wedderlie EDGAR b Cuba
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 February 13 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to mention that Robert Edgar's death certificate was stated as :age 65 died of Acute angina and syncoptic Cardiae (heart attack) and was witnessed by his daughter (my G.mother) I have his old sea chest complete with initials and shipping stickers still on the sides to and from Cienfuegos Cuba plus a nice photograph of him in a tropical cotton suit probably taken at around 55 - 60+ years of age in Cuba

Offline sonofedgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert EDGAR / Margaret McKinley MCKEAN, parents of Allan Wedderlie EDGAR b Cuba
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 February 13 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Saltwater! Yes, amazing and wonderful to read your posts!!
I tried to PM you straight away, but have just realised that you can't receive PMs until you've posted 3 times.. so you probably won't get it.
Reading back through this thread I can also see that there are still leads and information I need to pursue.. this site is fantastic :) And I would love to hear more from you.. your photo would be wonderful to see, and that old sea chest must be a real treasure!
I wonder what relation we are to eachother through sharing the same great grandparent, in terminology, I mean :) If you post again it should allow us to PM..

Roy

Offline sonofedgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 February 13 09:38 GMT (UK) »
.. I'd say we're second cousins!  8)

Offline saltwater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 February 13 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Excellent site, because of our family's unusual history in Cuba I have been struggling for a couple of years trying to make the connection between R.Edgar and his wife and Cuba, they must have been truly pioneers in the telegraphy industry, by my reckoning they crossed the Atlantic at least 8 times between 1892 and 1916, do you have any information regarding the death of Roberts wife Margaret?

Offline James Edgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 March 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sonofedgar, We have put together a tree for Robert Edgar, his son Allan Wedderlie Edgar and his children. Please contact us if you're interested in an exchange of ideas.
James Edgar

Offline sonofedgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 March 13 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello James! Great to read your post.. of course I'd love to make contact! I'm a little busy elsewhere and so haven't been spending any time on research just lately, but luckily I was alerted to your post. You need to make a couple more posts in order to activate the PersonalMessage option (see beginning of this topic..), then we could exchange personal emails if you like.
Looking forward to further contact.  Roy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 30 March 13 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi James

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Post another couple of times here on the main boards and then your Personal Message service will be activated. This will let you exchange personal emails via the PM service if appropriate.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline James Edgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 30 March 13 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy & Monica,
Thanks for the advice.
James

Offline James Edgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 March 13 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Roy, Our main interest is Edgars, and my wife Jodie (known as Mrs. Poirot, the world-famous detective) has teased out many trees with her research. We have also done DNA tests (115 or so) among Edgars worldwide, and we find four distinct Haplotypes. Interestingly, the Dumfriesshire group is predominantly I2b1, with a scattering of R1bs. I'm in I1, and the fourth group is E1b.
Another interesting connection is between the Edgars and Dunbars, not eally surprising when one considers the history, written and oral -- apparently Cospatrick II was 3rd Earl of Dunbar, and he sired the first R1b Edgar, from whom the Wedderlie Edgars ensue!
So, Roy, is it safe to assume you are descended from one of Allan Wedderlie's sisters?
James