Author Topic: Robert EDGAR / Margaret McKinley MCKEAN, parents of Allan Wedderlie EDGAR b Cuba  (Read 12129 times)

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
Re: Robert EDGAR / Margaret McKinley MCKEAN, parents of Allan Wedderlie EDGAR b Cuba
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 January 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
John age 13 son Kelunnning Ayrshire

On the 1861 Census Pam found Kelunnning, Ayrshire is likely to have been a mistranscription of Kilwinning.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert EDGAR / Margaret McKinley MCKEAN, parents of Allan Wedderlie EDGAR b Cuba
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 January 13 01:37 GMT (UK) »
The Hugh M Edgar born 1879 Glasgow Lanarkshire is a Marine Engineer married.
Will PM you

Cannot Pm you your box is full!!

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 January 13 10:11 GMT (UK) »

Cannot Pm you your box is full!!

Hi Pam

The error message you are getting in trying to PM sonofedgar is simply to due to the fact the personal messages service has not yet been activated because sonofedgar has only made a first posting (you need 2/3 posts on the main boards before PMs are available to a new member).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sonofedgar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 January 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, so many thanks to each of you for your replies so far!  :) What a great site this is to come upon!! I'm excited to break through my impasse, by the information you have turned up, and keen to follow your leads.. but I'm also realizing how much of a beginner I am and that there must be much to learn about searching techniques and this whole field of uncovering one's lineage!
In brief so far, I joined Ancestry.co.uk about a year ago, had a short, intense period of searching, then didn't touch it until now as I was away working abroad. I've progressed reasonably well on three fronts: Anderson (Lancashire, out of Buckinghamshire), Whittall (Shropshire/Welsh border), and Monks (Warrington, Cheshire), but the Edgar-McKean searches brought nothing (even the free searches on ScotlandsPeople.. clearly I need to advance!
So it's great to know that there are great, experienced and friendly people out there waiting to help.. thanks again!
 ;D
Roy

Offline sonofedgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 January 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
.. Regarding PMs, what constitute qualifying posts.. is it just three posts to any (or the same) topic,
does one need to start three threads, does the Beginners board count..??
 ???
Roy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 January 13 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

New members activate their PM service after three posts anywhere on the boards (except for the 'Totally off Topic' board which has not post counting).

You are there now. You can see the number of posts you have at any time under your username on the l/h side. To send someone a PM, just click on the small 'letter' image button also on the l/h side under their usernames. This is a quick way and will take you straight there. Works very much like all message services with an in/outbox etc. Personal details (living people, personal emails etc.) should be kept off the main open boards to protect privacy and identities.

You can also access your messages via the 'My Messages' button in the top brown banner.

Welcome on board and enjoy your time here on RC. It is a great community  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sonofedgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
EDGAR, MCKEAN, HEUGHAN of Annan.. I'd be grateful for any help!
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 23:37 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather, Robert Edgar (b. 1852) married Maggie Mckean (Margaret McKinlay McKean, b. 27/06/1852, Annan -haven't found record yet..) at Greenknowe Cottage, Annan on 15/04/1878.
Robert Edgar's parents were John Edgar and Jane Heughan (married in Annan, 20/12/1843), but I can't yet trace Robert Edgar's birth (he was a boarder in glasgow in 1871 -a telegraph operator- 'born in Annan'), John Edgar his father (a railway porter in 1878), or his mother, Jane (deceased by 1878), though there was a Jane Heughan (b. 1801?) on the 1841 census -surely too old to be his mother?
At some point (abt 1881/1882?) Robert Edgar went to work as a Superintendent at the Cuba Submarine Telegraph Company in Cienfuegos, Cuba where my grandfather, Allan Wedderlie Edgar was born in 1889.
Maggie McKean's parents were Hugh McKean and Margaret Wilson (1851 census shows them living at Greenknowe); Hugh McKean was a Railway Superintenent b. abt 1819 in St Quiner / St Brask (??), Ayrshire, and Margaret Wilson was also b. abt 1819 in Symington -could she be the daughter of Robert Wilson and Catherine Tennent of Ponfeigh, baptised on 26/09/1819..?
I'm planning a trip (from Devon) to Annan in the spring!!  ??? :) ;D

Offline sonofedgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: EDGAR, MCKEAN, HEUGHAN of Annan.. I'd be grateful for any help!
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 23:49 GMT (UK) »
NB.. this is a continuation / development of my earlier topic: Robert EDGAR / Margaret McKinley MCKEAN..  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 00:16 GMT (UK) »
No need to start a new thread for the same subject so I've merged your two topics  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!