Author Topic: ww1 despatch riders  (Read 10939 times)

Offline pazz12345

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ww1 despatch riders
« on: Friday 04 January 13 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Would ww1 motorcycle despatch riders be known as sapper or as dvr
Williams, Fisher, Rimmer,Court,Parrott,Lancashire,Preston,Rochdale,Wales,England

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ww1 despatch riders
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 13 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Most despatch riders were RE Signals - so Sapper could well be used. However, the REs also used 'Driver' - no idea if they applied it to dispatch riders.  What does his medal roll index card say?
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline nancy drew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 13 17:29 GMT (UK) »
i think you`ll find they were drivers as my gt grandad was one,,,,
maybe it depended on their regiment, my gt grandad was in the R,F,A...... nancy
martin, bailey,moore,east/bell,spurge,bourn,   -     perry,missen,grant,casey,ayling,  to name a few

Offline pazz12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 13 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for your input unfortunately i have not found his medal card yet i only have his year of birth 1883 and that he was born south wales and passed away in 1945 i keep digging and every now and again i find a little more again
thank you
Simon
Williams, Fisher, Rimmer,Court,Parrott,Lancashire,Preston,Rochdale,Wales,England

Offline vintagesunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 March 13 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
In WW1 all motorcycle despatch riders were members of Royal Engineers Signal Companies. Whatever their previous experience, they were immediately promoted to Corporal, even on the day that they joined the Army. This was because despatch riders had to be able to speak directly to officers, and the military rules of the day prevented "rankers" (eg, Privates, or Drivers or Sappers).

I'm making a study of the WW1 despatch riders, and if you post your relative's details, I may be able to help you find details of his career.

Offline pazz12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi thankyou for the information . Unfortunatly i do not have his date of birth i know he was born in south wales in 1883 and died in rochdale lancashire in december 1945 after serving with the east lancashire regiment. I have 5 photos of him in uniform two he has ASC cap badge and lanyard on left shoulder these were taken in baulford camp. One photo is from a motorcycle magazine in france on a triumph. one of him sat on a chair with R E cap badge taken in france ? and the last one of him in east lancs uniform ww2. his name was robert thomas williams thanks again simon

Offline vintagesunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon

Thanks for the message. I can't immediately identify his medal rolls index card though I will keep looking - I imagine it was you who also posted two of these pics on Ancestry?

Unfortunately it can be very difficult to identify relatives unless their name has some uncommon feature. Sometimes it is possible to trace a relative in the 1911 or 1901 Census by searching on the name of brother or sister with an uncommon name! eg one of my great grandfathers named his sons Thomas, Mark, Henry and Elijah - it was pretty easy to trace Elijah and the rest followed!

The photo with the Triumph motorcycles is particularly interesting - I've asked a vintage vehicle expert whether he can date the photograph by the vehicles. Do you know any more about who the people are? The motorcyclists are certainly Royal Engineers despatch riders, all corporals and all wearing the correct two tone armband.

best wishes
Nick

Offline pazz12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nick
The photo of the motorcycles is from a motorcycle magazine from the day.I now have this in my possesion (The Motorcycle ) it is dated Thursday November 2nd 1916.The picture is entitled "Signal section in a French market square" then :- An interesting official photograph of the Indian Army Corps signals,lorries cars and motorcyclists on their way to the front. The picture well shows the fit state of the men,who are mounted on W.D. Triumphs, the officers having singer light cars.The Triumphs were named model H which was a 550cc engine made from 1915 to 1926.
If you look at the pictures on my other thread (WW1 Motorcycle Despatch Rider) you will be able to see the men in the photo from the Army Service Corps which was taken at Bulford Camp are also in the photo of the bikes and trucks.
 Robert married Bertha Agnes Fisher who was from Lytham Saint Annes near Blackpool(not yet found marrage certificate) and had their first child in 1925 which states he was a cotton mill engineer and on my mothers birth certificate he is down as a plumber.This is also my chosen profession to which i didn't know until i started this search i am also a motorcyclist with a love of classic motorcycles such as triumphs BSA etc etc.
Thank you Simon

Offline vintagesunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon

thanks for your post - are you identifying the men at Bulford Camp with the motorcyclists in the picture in France? I can see some resemblances but it would be very exciting if your grandad was one of the men in the group picture!

regards
Nick

ps I'll reply again when I've heard from my vintage vehicle expert - pleased to hear you're into bikes, as you might guess I'm into vintage Sunbeams!!