Author Topic: ww1 despatch riders  (Read 10945 times)

Offline thearchivist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ww1 despatch riders
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 September 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Nick,

I know your posts relating to the WW1 dispatch riders were a few years ago now but I would love to pick your brains a bit about your research, as I'm just starting to investigate the same thing. I'm planning a trip to the archives tomorrow and would love any pointers - would you mind me asking your advice on few things?

Thank you in advance!

Hannah

Offline vintagesunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 September 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Hannah
I'm still very active in my research - my brother and I published Two Wheels to War (Helion Press) earlier this year. It is an expanded edition of WHL Watson's Adventure of a Despatch Rider - it is illustrated with photographs taken by Watson's colleagues and includes biographies of the 5th Signals despatch riders and other men mentioned in the book. It also includes extensive extracts from letters and diaries written by the 5th Signals men and chapters on the men and their machines. Search for the book on Amazon or Bookfinder if you want to find more.

If you post what you are looking for at the archives, I'd be happy to help and advise on what to look for.

Offline thearchivist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 September 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Thank you so much for your reply. Your book looks absolutely perfect, I'll order a copy of it first thing tomorrow!

Essentially I'm looking for a story to tell about a specific motorcycle dispatch rider/one particular journey - so I'm interested in anyone who had an out-of-the-ordinary dispatch mission (either the route itself or because something of particular interest happened to them along the way). Or - and this may not be possible - if we know of a particularly important message that was carried by motorcycle dispatch, and I could follow the route of that.

It looks like your book will certainly be great step in the right direction - are there any other sources you think I ought to look into?

(By the way, is there a way I might be able to email you directly? Or is it best to chat on here?)

Best wishes and thank you again,

Hannah

Offline vintagesunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 September 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you'll enjoy the book - there are lots of anecdotes, etc

What got you started on the topic? Do you have any connections with despatch riders? or motorcycling?

Offline thearchivist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 September 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Nick,

I'm doing some research for a television production company who are looking into whether there's a potential programme in there somewhere - it's such an interesting angle to look at the war I'm really hoping there's something I can find.

Would you mind if I contacted you again once I've had a look at your book, perhaps?

Hannah

Offline vintagesunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 September 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah

You can reach me and Martin (we are brothers as well as co-authors) on twowheelstowar@gmail.com.

When we started the research we had a vision that the material could lead to a television treatment as well as the book that we produced.

You won't be surprised to learn that we think there are many angles which the television production company might want to explore!

best wishes
Nick