Author Topic: BOSELY PARISH RECORDS - Elizabeth Owens (lost birth place)  (Read 1257 times)

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BOSELY PARISH RECORDS - Elizabeth Owens (lost birth place)
« on: Saturday 05 January 13 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have been spending a few days listing my brickwalls and trying to have another go at some of these- so I am afraid you might hear from me a few times.

Brickwall 1:

I have a John snelling (waterman) who married an Elizabeth Owens, Heston Middlesex 23rd September 1811, which confused me no end in the beginning as Elizabeth comes from Shropshire and the family moved to Odiham in Hampshire until I realised they are all on the Canal network and received John and Elizabeth’s daughters marriage certificate which states father Waterman. John dies pre 1841, John is another brickwall – trying to get copy of apprentice bindings to work out father.

Back to Elizabeth who helpfully (so I originally thought) lasted to 1871, Elizabeth remarried Thomas Fullbrook and remained in Hampshire. Her birth date quoted on death and census mostly ranges from 1779 to 1782 her last child being baptised 1828 so it is likely she is nearer the 1782 mark.  The 1851 census states she was born Gunster, Shropshire (no such place and writing is difficult to read) and in 1871 the census states she was born Church Meine, Shropshire (no such place – the Meine is difficult to read but does look like that).

I checked the witnesses on the marriage and it is very faded and I can make out a John Brien/Owens and a Susannah Pearce/Owens but what you end up doing is making the surname equal what you want it to do, i.e. Owens! Two other interesting issues; John and Elizabeth’s 1st son was born and baptised at St Leonard Broseley on the navigational Severn, on 20 Feb 1814.

I wonder if anyone has access to the original parish records who is able to tell me further details, i.e. father’s occupation, place of abode (wonder if it would state barge?)  :D. The other interesting fact is that Louisa Snelling, another daughter of John and Elizabeth married in London and one of her witnesses was a David Owen (maybe just coincidence).

I could never find a baptism of Elizabeth Owens that tied into the strange places of birth, perhaps on the river or anywhere nr Broseley, not sure if Broseley is on-line pre 1800?

I would be very grateful if anyone could help with my brickwall, as I have poured over ordnance survey maps – recent so maybe places do not exist and all sorts to no avail.

Kind Regards

Debbie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: BOSELY PARISH RECORDS - Elizabeth Owens (lost birth place)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 13 17:26 GMT (UK) »

I checked the witnesses on the marriage and it is very faded and I can make out a John Brien/Owens and a Susannah Pearce/Owens but what you end up doing is making the surname equal what you want it to do, i.e. Owens!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I think its definately Susannah Owens and I can see where you are coming from with John. :-\

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 13 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I could never find a baptism of Elizabeth Owens that tied into the strange places of birth, perhaps on the river or anywhere nr Broseley, not sure if Broseley is on-line pre 1800?

Broseley records pre-1750 are online. They won't detail occupations or abode I'm afraid.

www.broseley.org.uk

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 13 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

I wonder is Susannah is a sister, sister in law or mother? A few more tip bits of information to add to the list.  ;)

The baptism I need at Broseley is 1814 which hopefully should give me the fathers occupation and abode but I will look
at this website maybe their are Owens baptised there previously

Debs