Author Topic: Larmour/Lorimer/Larmer etc Derriaghy, Lisburn, Co Antrim  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Kidd12345

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Larmour/Lorimer/Larmer etc Derriaghy, Lisburn, Co Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 May 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
Joseph Black and Matty Weir /Craig had Jane Black 1853 married James Irwin.
                                                           Mary Black 1858 married Thomas Sinclair
                                                           Margaret Black 1863 married William John Shirlow
                                                           Joseph Black 1865 (think he went to Scotland )
                                                           Elizabeth Black 1869 married Wm John Mc Dowell.
                                                            Agnes Black 1871/3 don't know anything more about her.

Offline Kidd12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 May 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi agnetta it's the 1st I've used this so hope it's right, I've just started looking into my tree, your grandmothers sister Mary black who married Thomas Sinclair is my g.g grandmother, they had 6 children Thomas W 1884, Martha 1885 and William 1885 (unsure if twins) Agnes 1888, Elizabeth 1889 and Mary 1896.  Martha is my g.grandmother she married Robert Brown, and had 5 children Thomas 1913, Mary 1915-2003, Robert 1917, Martha 1919-2007 and Violet 1921. Martha is my g.mother she married William John Kidd 1919-1989 her sister Violet is still alive and is in Belfast 😃 Just saw this post using a Google search and thought I would register 2 reply, if u have more info on the blacks or Sinclairs would be great thanks 😃

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 May 17 07:36 BST (UK) »
 Kidd 12345
 I'll have to pull out some notes etc to get the info I have on Blacks and Sinclair,and get back to you tomorrow.
Great to hear from someone actually connected to the same family tree.A first for me on that particular tree. Regards,Agnetta.

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 May 17 07:20 BST (UK) »
 Kidd 12345
 You have more info on Sinclairs than I have. I had only found William 1884 to Thomas Sinclair and Mary Black,and I only got that far because it was Blacks who were my main interest.
Their parents were Joseph Black and Matty Weir alias Craig (Thought at first she was a widow,but it turned out she was born 1834, the illegitimate daughter of a James Craig and ??? - possibly Weir.She must have been reared as Weir by Joseph Weir - he is recorded as her father on the marriage cert.Joseph Blacks father is Joseph Black too)
Some years ago my niece's husband was researching Blacks and he arrived at the conclusion that Joseph Black was born 1822 in Kildress Co Tyrone. I have never been able to prove this.There are literally thousands of Blacks in Tyrone,and yes there are Josephs,but I can't pin one down to 1822 +/- 5yrs. There's already confusion about his age. On 1901 census he was born 1833. On 1911 census he was born 1825 and 1831 according to his marriage cert. (which I think is the right one)My mother knew he was a very old man when he died in 1916. (my grandmother Elizabeth (Black) Mc Dowell was 90 when she died)My grandmother (Elizabeth) and her brother Joseph Black and sister Agnes,who died when she was 3 years old, were registered as born in Derriaghy. (Dunmurry R.O.) I cannot find where Jane b 1857 (Irwin), Mary b 1858,( Sinclair) and Margaret 1863 (Shirlow), her sisters, were born.
Elizabeth Black married William John Mc Dowell and had Joseph,John,Elizabeth,Martha,Mary,Jane,Agnes (my mother) and William at Lambeg.(Joseph Black - her father - lived with them at Lambeg on 1901 and 1911 census)
Re Joseph Black - I think he was born 1831 to Joseph Black and Martha Martin -  Dromara Presbyterian,but I have to work on that to prove it. Hope we can exchange info on Blacks in future.

Offline Kidd12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 May 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that info I will ask my aunt to ask my dads aunt Violet as she sees her every day if she can remember any more, they are still in Belfast we moved to Scotland many years ago, but are across the water a few times a year still 😃X

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 01:45 BST (UK) »
OK I found this little snippet on one of the notes about Blacks. The Blacks in Tyrone were so numerous that families had "nicknames"to separate them. The presbyterian Blacks of Kildress/Oritor area(where our Blacks MAY have come from) were known as "Roe" Black.
Doesn't help really,but Just thought I'd pass it on.
We came to Australia in 1955. I started doing a family tree so as my grandchildren would know something of their Irish background.
I have one brother still in N. I.in Dromore Co. Down.
Hope we can keep in touch. Agnetta (Betsy Harper)

Offline jmartin0805

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 December 17 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,
I'm related to Blacks of Tyrone (possibly kildress/cookstown) area as well. I would like to stay current too. Have you guys read the book "roots in ulster soil"?
Thanks,
Jay

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 May 23 03:48 BST (UK) »
   2 amendments to family of Joseph Black and Matty Weir (1) son Joseph 1865 died in infancy.                      (2) daughter Agnes 1871 died 1874 aged 3 years.

Offline cwatterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching in all four provinces of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 May 23 21:11 BST (UK) »
My 3rd Great Grandfather was Alexander Larmour who died before 1849. His son Samuel born abt 1824 married Ann Jane Seaton born abt 1824 on 21 November 1849 at Lisburn Civil Registrars Office. Address given for Samuel was Derrykillultagh, Ballinderry, Lisburn, Co Antrim. 5 of a family that I know of Margaret Ann, Elizabeth, Sarah Jane, Samuel and ? . Samuel my Great Grandfather married Mary Jane MacFarlane/McFarland.

Would anyone have any information on any of these rellies?

Maggie
 :) :) :)

Hi, I realize it's a bit late to reply to the OP here, but this Alexander Larmour possibly appears in my own records. Eliza Larmour daughter of Alexander Larmour married in 1853, also at the registry office (any idea why would be interesting), Joseph who here is recorded McCaghley but from the records of the children is clearly Joseph McCarthy. One of their later children Elizabeth was born in 1866, and Maria Jane in 1868. Maria and Margaret are in the 1911 census living in house 31, Ballinahinch Road, Lisburn, Antrim, along with older sister Elizabeth. What is clearly the same household is at house 31 Largymore Place in 1901 with rather more optimistic ages (Maria 21 rather than 32)! An older brother Joseph was still living with his siblings then.

Two other children of the older Joseph McCarthy were likely born to Eliza as well, Isabella and Thomas who both married in October 1878 a day apart from each other. To Francis Smiley and Sarah Neill respectively.

The younger Joseph McCarthy (from 1901 census above) married in 1906 with Maria McCarthy and Thomas Smiley present (likely the son of above Isabella). Joseph and Anne (Annie) were in Young St. Lisburn in 1911, like his sisters Joseph has a more authentic age in 1911 of 45 (just 30 recorded in 1901).

The elder Joseph McCarthy married a second time in 1872, to Jane Cord formerly Jane Weir. That's not so relevant to the Larmour story, but this thread also mentions Weirs around Lisburn, so in case there's a link, here's some more. Jane was the daughter of Abraham Weir, and in fact he died in Lisburn in 1879, in Haslem's Lane with Joseph McCarthy present. The same record page the entry above in fact has Joseph's grandson's death recorded, George Smiley son of Isabella. Abraham's wife was likely Mary Weir who died in 1878 also at Haslem's Lane. It seems the Weirs were probably not from Lisburn originally, they might have been at Annahilt per Jane Cord's address, maybe they only moved when she married again. In any case for Jane's child by her first marriage to Thomas Cord, Charlotte Cord was born in Ballyhassey in 1868 with Mary Weir present. Or they may have been from Newtownards, as an earlier birth of Thomas Cord in 1866 was at Wallace's St. No. 2 (died that same year). Charlotte was still living with her mother in 1901 at 152 Blythe St in Belfast.

Joseph McCarthy died in 1884 at Young Street with his daughter Isabella Smiley present. Isabella's daughter Margaret had died just four days previous on Christmas Eve aged 2 and daughter Elizabeth aged 4 two weeks before that from Whooping Cough.

Hopefully that adds to the background for anyone looking into the Larmours or Weirs in Lisburn. I've more on the McCarthy family and descendants - the records above are a bare outline. They lived at Tanyard lane 1875-1876, maybe 1872-1875 too but no records between 1872 marriage and Jane McCarthy born 1875 (died 1876, Mary Jane McCarthy).