Author Topic: Naomi BRAZIL  (Read 9652 times)

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naomi BRAZIL
« on: Saturday 05 January 13 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a newspaper article from the 1950s (presumably).  The subject is the removal of the gypsies from Belvedere Marsh following the flood in 1953.  My great great grannie, Naomi Brazil (known as Crackernuts) was interviewed at Ruxley Pit nr Sidcup because the families were not being allowed back on to the Marsh.  There was a picture of her leaning over a wagon door.  The article I believe was entitled Queen of the Gypsies.  Naomi was married to Frank Lee then to Davey Hall - her children were Jack Fairplay, Flo, Britty, Nelson, Storky, Charlotte, Naomi, Daisy, and Jimmy. I have been researching local papers but have not had any luck tracing this photo.  If anyone can remember this or what newspaper it was in or has a copy of the article or photo (or any photos of Naomi Brazil), please get in touch.

Offline smileyface471686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NAOMI BRAZIL
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 13 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I would try Bexleyheath Library, they have the archives there with a lot on the marsh and also the local newspaper archives.

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this but have already tried them with no success.

Offline anothercooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 March 13 10:33 GMT (UK) »

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 March 13 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this - very useful website. Any other help would be appreciated.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Lots of Brazil's on Facebook from that area.  My great great granny was Matilda Brazil, also used the name Elliott.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 April 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this response.  I am having a major problem finding any records/information about Naomi Brazil but yes it is true that there are many Brazils in the area and in my family.  Naomi is on my father's side and my great great grandmother on my mother's side was Sarah Ann Brazil who married Samuel Jones.  They had a daughter called Matilda.  Sarah Ann's mother was Ann Elliott - could there be a connection???  The family lived in the Sussex area. Any information would be gratefully received.

Best wishes
Waynus

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 April 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Ohh, my Matilda's mum was Ann Elliott!!! We are linked, they were all from Sussex. The Elliott's, Ransleys, and Roberts families all married in.   ;D I have your Sarah in my family tree. What do you want to know?
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Naomi BRAZIL
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 May 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for getting back to me. I did have a really strong feeling that this was the same family as soon as I heard the name Elliott!! From our research we have been unable to find Ann with a daughter Matilda - she did have a granddaughter Matilda whose parents are Sarah Ann (Brazil) and Samuel Jones.  We have found Ann had a daughter Mary - could this be Matilda as we know names were not always accurately recorded. Do you have a birth date for Matilda so that we can try to accurately place her.
Thanks so much for your help - this is really appreciated.
Best Wishes
Waynus