Author Topic: Naomi BRAZIL  (Read 9590 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Naomi BRAZIL
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 May 14 19:02 BST (UK) »
My Matilda's mum Ann Elliott had Matilda out of wedlock. Ann then married into the Brazil family. On one census, a Mary Jane Brazil was staying with Matilda and husband in their wagon. But Ive never seen Matilda transcribed as Mary. She died of pneumonia in the early 1880s and her husband Samson Roberts remarried to Priscilla Beeney (who herself was widdowed, she was born a Ripley). I struggled with Matilda for years until a cousin 'found' her mum at Sussex records office.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 May 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this. It seems all connections are leading to me!!!! because my great-grandmother on my mother's side was also a Beaney!!  This was a large family and they all came from Northiam in Sussex and a lot married Ripleys and there are numerous Priscillas in both families.
This will all need looking into further - getting quite exciting.

Best wishes

Waynus

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 May 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
I'll inbox you my email address. I have Roberts, Clark's, Ransley's, Elliotts, Brazil's, Ripley's, Beeney's, Sharwood's, Egertons, Bexell's (all Sussex and Kent with a Roberts line who went up to South Wales), and Smiths from Headington.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Oojie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 March 15 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a newspaper article from the 1950s (presumably).  The subject is the removal of the gypsies from Belvedere Marsh following the flood in 1953.  My great great grannie, Naomi Brazil (known as Crackernuts) was interviewed at Ruxley Pit nr Sidcup because the families were not being allowed back on to the Marsh.  There was a picture of her leaning over a wagon door.  The article I believe was entitled Queen of the Gypsies.  Naomi was married to Frank Lee then to Davey Hall - her children were Jack Fairplay, Flo, Britty, Nelson, Storky, Charlotte, Naomi, Daisy, and Jimmy. I have been researching local papers but have not had any luck tracing this photo.  If anyone can remember this or what newspaper it was in or has a copy of the article or photo (or any photos of Naomi Brazil), please get in touch.
Can't help with you finding newspaper articles, but my granny was naomi Brazil before marriage, obviously not the same one!! But her father was Ben Brazil was known as storky!! He died around 23 year ago my granny died 2 years ago, I know nothing before my great grandparents.

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 March 15 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in coming back to you. 

The Naomi Brazil you speak of who is your granny is my father's cousin - we know her as Signal's Omie.   Her father Storky is my grandfather's brother (my grandfather is Jack Fairplay) and Storky's wife Ada's mother is also my grandfather's sister on the Eastwood side. The Naomi Brazil I am speaking about is Storky's mother and I have been told by Benny and Tilly's girls that your Granny Omie's brother George does have a photo of her - she was known as Cracker Nuts.  George is reluctant to let anyone look at these photos in case they get lost (don't blame him for this) but you never know, he may let you see these.  If so, and if you can get a copy, please let me have one (I will be eternally grateful).  p.s. if there is anymore information you would like regarding this side of the family, please let me know.

Best wishes

Waynus

Offline Oojie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 March 15 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in coming back to you. 

The Naomi Brazil you speak of who is your granny is my father's cousin - we know her as Signal's Omie.   Her father Storky is my grandfather's brother (my grandfather is Jack Fairplay) and Storky's wife Ada's mother is also my grandfather's sister on the Eastwood side. The Naomi Brazil I am speaking about is Storky's mother and I have been told by Benny and Tilly's girls that your Granny Omie's brother George does have a photo of her - she was known as Cracker Nuts.  George is reluctant to let anyone look at these photos in case they get lost (don't blame him for this) but you never know, he may let you see these.  If so, and if you can get a copy, please let me have one (I will be eternally grateful).  p.s. if there is anymore information you would like regarding this side of the family, please let me know.

Best wishes

Waynus
thanks for getting back to me. Sounds about right, Uncle George and the photos!! When I see him next I will ask him about them, I see if he show me and let me take a picture with my fone. As I said before I know not very much, my father told me that grandfather storky was Hall. I don't understand how they got different last names. I knew granny Ada was Eastwood, Any information you have on them and there grandparents and siblings would be greatly received.
Thanks
Charlotte

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 March 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
hallo charlotte thanks for coming back to me . yes George might let you have a look and you can take a photo with  your phone . yes the mix up with your grandfathers name being hall is that old granny crackernuts was married twice she had my grandfather frank lee first and had 8 children with him and then she your grandfather davie hall and had your grandfather ben with him and put him in her name all so most of the children was in her name because of the war . omie brazils children were jimmy nelson jack storky daisy floie charlotte omie britty. as for your granny ada she was a lee but took the name breeze it was her mother who was the eastwood and her parents was john eastwood and ada not sure of her last name their children were johnny walter benny tommy billy that's my grandfather better known as old diddles George esther prissy polly hope this helps you a bit. good luck with George and the photos best wishes waynus

Offline Oojie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 March 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
hallo charlotte thanks for coming back to me . yes George might let you have a look and you can take a photo with  your phone . yes the mix up with your grandfathers name being hall is that old granny crackernuts was married twice she had my grandfather frank lee first and had 8 children with him and then she your grandfather davie hall and had your grandfather ben with him and put him in her name all so most of the children was in her name because of the war . omie brazils children were jimmy nelson jack storky daisy floie charlotte omie britty. as for your granny ada she was a lee but took the name breeze it was her mother who was the eastwood and her parents was john eastwood and ada not sure of her last name their children were johnny walter benny tommy billy that's my grandfather better known as old diddles George esther prissy polly hope this helps you a bit. good luck with George and the photos best wishes waynus
thank you, do you know who cracker nuts parents were?

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 March 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlotte

Cracker Nut's father was Walter Brazil (sometimes known as Walter Barton) and her mother was Florence (Flo) Lee.  She was one of 6 children (that are known) - her brothers and sisters were Charlotte, Lovie, Jack, Nelson and Jimmy.  They came from the Sussex area and they lived in Devil's Dyke near Brighton.  This is all that I know about her - have never found any trace of Naomi Brazil on any of the census records.

Best wishes
Waynus