Author Topic: Murphy - Bray, Co. Wicklow  (Read 7163 times)

Offline F1_X

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murphy - Bray, Co. Wicklow
« on: Monday 07 January 13 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I am researching my Irish family tree and I'm trying to find any relatives of my Grandparents.

My Grandfather, James (Albert) Murphy was from Bray and returned back to Bray after living in Essex most of his adult life and stayed with his sister Jennie she had children Hubie and May Cahill and probably more. My Grandfather lived with the Cahill's at 36 Duncairn Avenue, Bray at the time of his death (15th September 1998). I last saw my Granddad when I was 6 years old in Romford, Essex in 1982.

Albert was actually born in Portsmouth in 1921 because his father was stationed there in the Army, although their family home was always in Bray.

Searching military records, Albert Murphy was in the Irish Guard before WW2 and was based in Palestine. Later in 1940 he served in the Army Air Corp and later formed today's Parachute regiment where he served in multiple battles up to the battle of Arnhem.

My Grandfather had brother and sisters, all from Bray, in order:

* - in Australia & in his 90's
James Albert - My G/father 1921-1998
Michael - Died 1980's Kinturk Ireland
Eddie - Died 1978
Huwie - Died TB 1942
Jack - Died on HMS repulse 1941
* - in High Wycombe

* - in Australia aged 92, captain in British Army Parachute regiment starting pre WW2. Went to Australia in 1960's and joined army there and was an instructor for Vietnam carde and finished as a Major after 40 years service between both armies.

James Albert (My Grandfather) - Also pre WW2 soldier, Irish Fusiliers. Serving in Palestine pre WW2 and was an army parachutist in Army Air Corps then parachute regiment when it was formed. Served in North Africa and Italy. Got drunk a lot! And was injured (broke leg) in the practice for Arnhem 1944. He went back to Ireland used to send an ambulance from Belfast to pick him up for medicals. He never returned to active service and was de-mobbed in 1946. Was then a carpenter and married Molly (Mary Josephine Murphy) 1953, lived in Ladbroke Grove, West London.

Moved to Ilford, Mayfair Avenue in 1960. Worked as self employed carpenter til 1970. Then was a maintenance foreman for Lee Conservancy Water Board later Thames Water until retirement.

Moved to Peterborough 1984, lived near his sister Betty and then went to Ireland circa 1989-90. His ashes are on Bray head and an inscription on a grave in St Peters Church, Dublin Road, Bray.

Michael - Married Shelia, has 2 daughters (one called Danuta) retired to Kinturk Ireland. Died there in the 1980's.

Eddie - bit of a lunatic, fingers missing - blown off in a fight with a gun. Had tattoos on his bum! Died in 1978 from injuries from a fight in a pub!

Huwie - Died of TB in 1943. Had been in Arklow recovering from TB, he came home presumed getting better and died. Buried St Peter's Church graveyard.

Jack - Died HMS Repulse December 1941 off of Singapore aged 18. He was a ship gunner.

Betty - married Paddy Reilly, had 5 children.  Their names *, ### , *, *, Jackie. Died Breast cancer 1991.

* - Married * Kelling, 2 children * and *. Always lived in High Wycombe, now moving closer to daughter in Lincolnshire. She's currently 79 will be having her 80 birthday in Bray that we are going to in April 2013- can you come to this (it's a bit of a family reunion)?

My Grandmother (Molly) christened Mary Josephine Murphy born 19/04/1932. Her mother was Delia Reid (she was born illegitimately and they forged 'Murphy' onto the birth certificate being the most popular name in Ireland). Her mother came from Middleton County Cork to Dublin to have the baby. She was then given away to a family called the Burns who lived in the same road as my Grandfather (Boghall area of Bray - can't remember name of road). Her father was a policemen called Jack McManus who worked at Middleton police station. He married a woman who couldn't have children and Delia Reid never had other children either. In the 70's, Delia Reid lived in a flat at 1 Ranelagh Street, Ranelagh, Dublin. She was a chain smoker!

His Father (my Great-Grandfather) was called Jack Murphy (also from Bray) was born 1887 and died approx 1971. Although he lived in Bray I'm not sure where he was born but know that he was in France during WW1 and came out of retirement for WW2 working as a Sgt drill instructor at Enniskillen, Northen Ireland. During his time there 2 of his sons came through the depot. When he died he lived in Ladbrooke Grove, West London and had previously worked for Guinness also in London. He and his wife (Anne, maiden name Pearce) lived in a flat, which my Dad can still remember visiting in the late 1960's.

Jack Murphy had a brother Michael Murphy (apparently a 'strongman' of Ireland doing feats of strength). He lived at 15 Queensborough Road, Bray at time of death living with his sister Jennie.

Most of this information comes from my cousin Conor who has been a great help with the research.

Now I'm due to come over to Bray in April, I'm trying to source as much extended family as possible.

If anyone has any information on any of my family, please could they respond here.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Roy Murphy

Moderator note : posted edited - see following reply.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy - Bray, Co. Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 13 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Details of living people should not be included in posts on RootsChat. This is RootsChat policy and in place to protect their privacy, and online security.

Some details have been edited from the above post, also separated from the other Murphy thread as that seemed to cover a separate Murphy - Hipple/Hipwell line

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Cranley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Your grandparents must have known mine, they also lived in duncairn Ave Bray the house was called Oakdene.  My grandfather was named Thomas patrick Cranley and I think his wife was Mary (formally Cleary).  They had 3 children, my father John Joseph Cranley, his brother Verny, and their sister Cicely.  Cicely married Paddy Marks and they continued living at the house in Ducairn Ave.  They had a son called Martin who works for Guinness.  Cicely was also known as Beth, as her middle name was Elisabeth.  I visited them about 16 years ago when we took some of my fathers ashes over to scatter over Bray Head.

I dont know if any of this links in with your info, but if it does and you have any more details please let me know.

Wyatt C

Offline hugo61

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi your grandad james albert murphy was my uncle, my mum betty was his sister, I'm her son Aid an reilly I have fond memories of your grandad james, or as I knew him " uncle bert" we lived in Peterborough, I shared many a beer with him; he was a real likeable rouge! I last saw him in 1990/91 when his brother George came to visit the family from australia, I've got photos of that on my Facebook page
 Ade Reilly Edinburgh

Offline Derek Cahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 September 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Bert lived with us for many years in Duncairn. Remember him arriving in Bray to May in his VW camper van, as a kid loved that camper van. Bert was a cousin of my grandfather and great aunt, May and Martin Cahill of Quinsboro road. I met Berts brother George from Australia when he visited. Bert had two sons and two daughters I think. My daughter is doing a family tree project, and is looking for historical information on the Murphy's and their history in the British army. Would welcome some information if any available.

Offline Derek Cahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 September 16 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy Murphy, please drop me a line to get in touch, the Jennie Murphy is Jane Cahill, the Michael Murphy strongman was aunt May Cahills favourite and worked for Shell Ireland. Would love to see if we can develop this further. Derek Cahill

Offline F1_X

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 December 16 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cousins!

Thank you both for getting in touch.
Apologies for the delay as it seems the post notifications all went into my email "Junk Box".
I'm off for a Bray family reunion in April with many family members (cousins, aunts, uncles etc.)

Ade, I've located you on Facebook and have sent you a "Friend" request.
I'm really looking forward to catching up, sharing stories with you and sharing some old photos.
Derek, not sure which of the millions of Derek Cahill's on FB you are (if at all) and would love to help your daughter with any family info I have so far, whether family tree or military documents. I'm really excited to speak to you both soon.

Wyatt, thank you for your info and contribution. Nothing raises any clues yet but I will keep you updated should anything pertinent crop up.

Not sure if I can post links here, so you can find me on various social media platforms and websites related to Roy Murphy and The Four Candles Pub, Moreton Pinkney.

Thank you all again.
Roy