Author Topic: Charles Pierre Moliere  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Alexj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Pierre Moliere
« on: Monday 07 January 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I am doing some research for my brother in law (David Moliere) who was adopted at Birth. We are trying to find his real father Charles Pierre Moliere
No idea of Birth date for Charles but he must be around 1905 -1920 as the lady he married was born 1917.
What i do know is from research and a birth cert for my brother in law ( David Moliere) of his fathers marriage to Gladys C Lettsome is:
Charles Pierre Moliere no D/ 36525 Regimental Quartermaster sergeant Canadian Armoured Brigade. He married a Gladys Cavell Lettsome Oct-Dec 1941 in Uxbridge Middlesex. When born, my brother in law (born August 1944) was given up for adoption and he has now only found out who his real parents were. I have found alot about his mother but we are now trying to find out what happened to his father Charles during /after the war.

I have started the thread in the UK forum but the info now suggests Charles returned to Montreal after the war leaving his wife as he shows up in 1949 as a Government clerk in La Gazette du Canda.

I am trying to find his date of death and do not know where to look now any help would be really appreciated as when we get his date of death we can then request a copy of his war record. I know he was mentioned in dispatches during the war for service in Italy with the 12th armoured brigade ( Three rivers Brigade from Montreal)

Hope somebody can help

Regards

John

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Pierre Moliere
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Moliere (i.e. Molière) is a very unusual name in Canada; I have never heard it here (and I do a lot of work for the govt in both languages, for instance).

There are only 14 telephone listings in Canada showing here, all in Quebec:
http://www.canada411.ca/search/?stype=si&what=moliere&where=&x=0&y=0

I would suggest that your brother-in-law contact those people to enquire about any connection with his Charles.

It's hard to do internet searches, because even using google.ca and selecting for "Pages from Canada" (under Search tools - Web), all you are going to get is sites about the French playwright. ;)

A little selective googling did find the reference to his mention in dispatches. There is also someone with the same given name who is an engineer from Quebec currently in Alberta, who might be worth contacting:
http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/charles-moli%C3%A8re/47/a81/111
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 23:08 GMT (UK) »
He is in this family tree:

http://www.mundia.com/ca/Person/31945326/20017736816

You will likely have to go directly to http://www.mundia.com and then open a free account and use Find People to search for Charles P Moliere. Mundia is a mirror site and shows all public trees posted at Ancestry.

The tree shows David and several siblings (which seems to be a huge breach of privacy and of the site rules, if consent was not given).

That tree shows him as born in Louisana, and states that he died in Texas in 1958. This is entirely possible, since many USAmericans came to Canada to join the military before the US decided to join the war effort. The tree seems to belong to someone connected wtih the Lettsome family, perhaps, however remotely. I'd advise that David contact the tree owner and require that the living person information be deleted from it, and if that is unsuccessful, have it deleted by the site administrator, if those people have not consented to it being there. I'll happily delete this info from the thread here as well once you have had a chance to see it.

It turns out that Charles Moliere was quite a common name in Louisiana. At http://familysearch.org, just search for the name, with the event "Any" and the place Louisiana.

Since you seem to have evidence of your Charles in Canada after WWII, it's entirely possible that the tree owner at Ancestry/Mundia has just picked a random Charles Moliere out of the air and stuck him in that tree. It happens all the time. FamilySearch shows a Charles Leonard Moliere who was born in 1887 in Louisiana and died in Texas in 1958, so I suspect this is the one who has been glommed into the tree, and the tree owner is just a name collector without any regard for other people's family history accuracy, or privacy. (I note that other living people are marked "private" while your David and his family are displayed to the world.) For better or for worse, it seems s/he is related. I might be generous and say that s/he is trying to find the children of Gladys by putting the info in the tree ... or perhaps David or one of his siblings has done that! ;)

Does the English marriage certificate not state Charles's father's name? It should also have his age. That info is not in your other thread so I assume he doesn't have that certificate and is jumping the gun a bit here by asking for help before getting it:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=630312.0

I see the reference there to the Texas death. If you had linked to your earlier thread, at least, I wouldn't have "found" all that info all over again ...

... And another thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=630296.0

It's understandable to post queries on the boards where there is likely to be the appropriate expertise; this site organization does tend to invite such duplication. But please don't invite people to do all over what has already been done, by not disclosing the previous work ...

It seems David doesn't have the marriage certificate. He has got to get that before seeking more help -- the info about Charles's age and father is essential, to avoid more floundering in the wrong places, like Louisiana.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can only echo Janey's request to disclose previous requests so as not to duplicate work.

I have just had a look in the Drouin collection of Quebec parish records and there is only ONE Moliere...a Marie Therese who was baptised in about 1740. The name is as Janey says very unusual in Quebec.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Alexj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

sorry and apologies for the confusion on this thread. We are currently awaiting the Marriage cert so it will give us more info.

Will keep any future threads more focused in future

Regards

John