Author Topic: Gifford HULBERT- born Corsham about 1653. Need a missing link to ancient family!  (Read 7945 times)

Offline ERT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've ground to a halt researching the Hulbert family in Corsham in Wiltshire, which is quite frustrating as this amazing family stretches back to 1333 & Robert Hurlebatter (see Hurbutt Anice family tree on ancestry).  My lot obviously tie in with the family as they are in and around Corsham.  My family are...in descending order..

Gifford Hulbert  m                 Anna Pinwell
b.1653 Corsham         b. 1655 Corsham d.1715

Gifford Hulbert      m     Joan Chapman
b 1680 Biddestone         b 1683 Corsham

Thomas Hulbert                 m Ann Bunce
b 1711 Biddestone d  1799     b. 1716

I wondered whether John Hulbert & Joane Gifford who married in 1658 could be the missing parents, as Gifford is an unusual name, but can't find any evidence or any way to tie them into the larger family.  The spelling of Hulbert changes a lot as well.  Any help appreciated.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gifford Hulbert- born Corsham about 1653. Need a missing link to ancient family!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 07:31 GMT (UK) »
may I suggest the use of the History of Wiltshire & Notes set>

http://archive.org/search.php?query=((collection%3Atoronto%20OR%20scanningcenter%3Aalberta)%20AND%20format%3Apdf)%20AND%20-mediatype%3Acollection%20AND%20subject%3A%22Wiltshire%2C%20Eng.%20--%20History%22

furthering that  may I suggest looking on ancestry for Hugh Wallis lit of microfilms

(that can be googled and it will take you to the relevent pages)

furthering that the scope of films according to my database is

Corsham Parish Registers
BAPTISMS 1560-1880 MARRIAGES 1560-1909 BURIALS 1609-1879
 BAPTISMS 1561-1714 1757-1885 MARRIAGES 1564-1714 1754-1905
 BAPTISMS 1760-1837 BURIALS 1778-1836

If you do not have any luck with any of those one may try contacting Swindon Archives
or even looking on their site for furthering information

:)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gifford Hulbert- born Corsham about 1653. Need a missing link to ancient family!
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 07:34 GMT (UK) »
this is the hugh wallis link

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/

ps    one could also try Phillimores marriages volumes
again u can find them on the archive.org site

Offline ERT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the ideas.  I'll check through that information & if I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Offline Kleftiwallah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 18:27 GMT (UK) »

This is the place for yoohoo.

http://www.wshc.eu/

Cheers,   Tony.

Oakes - of Camberwell/Lambeth area of London.   Dixon - of Cumbria (then Cumberland) North Western England)

Offline caleva

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Although this isn't a Hulbert I thought that you may be interested in the Anna Pinwell that he married. I couldn't find any Pinwells anywhere so I had a hunt for any similars and found that there were several Pinnell families in Box. There is an Ann Pinnell baptised on March 12th 1651/2. I don't know if you have access to original parish records, but it might be worth a look to check on the spelling of her name, if the records are readable of course. I also have Thomas Hulbert as a very distant ancestor

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Just a note  -  the Wiltshire Archives have been in Chippenham,not Swindon,for a few years now.  Hate you to turn up in the wrong district!

There are also a fair few Hulberts in Colerne.  May be worth a check?

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My husband's 2x great grandfather was Nathaniel Hulbert(1812 Colerne).  Just checked his tree and Nathaniel's great grandfather John(1702 Colerne) had a brother called Gifford (1713- 1734 Colerne).  The name was obviously a staple in the extended Hulbert family.

Offline jclifford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching Hulbert and variations
    • View Profile
Re: Gifford HULBERT- born Corsham about 1653. Need a missing link to ancient family!
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 19:39 GMT (UK) »
There was a Gifford Hulbert christened 9 Oct 1653 in Corsham to John Hulbert of Velly and Alice Billet married 10 Nov 1640 in Chalfield. John died about 1671 (grant of administration to wife 12 Jan 1671/72). I have details of eight children but no ancestry for John.

There was also a Gifford christened 1st June 1643 in Corsham to William Hulbert and Elinor Jones  and a brother of William called Gifford christened 24 March 1618/19.

There were several different families of Hulberts in Corsham during the 1500s and I don't think it is possible that they were all descended from one John Hurlbatt from Hampshire. Do you know where there are reliable details of the "ancient family" .
Hulbert