Author Topic: John Petticrue/Pettigrew and Jean Henderson  (Read 10594 times)

Offline rkrtx63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Petticrue/Pettigrew and Jean Henderson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
George and Isabelle's daughter Elizabeth Lowe King married William MacNiesh Allen. Elizabeth and William had a daughter Isabella Robertson Allen who Married George Love. Isabella and George had a daughter Florence who married Kenneth Reams. These are my Grandparents on my Father's side.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Petticrue/Pettigrew and Jean Henderson
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 August 13 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie,
              Yes we are related I am descended from John King and Margaret's son William King

who married Ann Allan ( no connection to your William though at the moment )

I have sent you a PM .

Regards,

suzilad

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Pettigrew, 1780-1846, s/o John Petticrue/Pettigrew and Jean Henderson
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 September 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
There is a long workup on James' brother Robert and his success in America, here:

Robert Pettigrew b1783 East Lothian
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=628230.msg4762248#msg4762248

James also emigrated to America, and joined his brother Robert in the contractor business:

1838 and 1839 New York City directories:
Pettigrew, Rob. & John & James, contractors Tenth n. Bowery

I believe that this John is likely Robert's son, not the brother of Robert and James.  I don't know if their brother John came to America also.

This death notice shows James was in America by 1821 or thereabouts:

The New York evening post., September 21, 1846, Page 3
DIED-- on the 17th inst., James Pettigrew, in the 66th year of his age, a native of Scotland, and for the last 25 years a resident of this city.

He may have followed after Robert, who declared his intention to become a citizen  16 Apr 1821, Marine Court, NYC.  By 1830 James appeared in the census.

1830 federal census, New York Ward 11, New York, New York:
James, Robert, and John are on the same page, enumerated one after the other.  James and Robert were counted in the 40-49 age group, while John was in the 20-29 age group.

The three are shown as receiving many contracts for road work, on pages 159-165 here:

Google books:  Journal of the Convention of the State of New York: 1846
By New York (State) Constitutional Convention Committee

Published Sept. 18, 1846 (NY Post)
Thurs. Sept. 17, James Pettigrew, in 66y, native Scotland.  Remains to Paterson NJ.

This above brief extract shows he was buried in Paterson, NJ.  I don't know why.  However, Findagrave has his info, and states his wife was Margaret:

James Pettigrew, b. 1780 Scotland
Death    4 Sep 1846  [that day is wrong.  It was Sept 17]
New York, USA
Burial at Cedar Lawn Cemetery
Paterson, Passaic County, New Jersey, USA
Plot    Section 7, Lot 136

His wife's info is:
Margaret Pettigrew b.    1775 Scotland
Death    5 Aug 1827
Paterson, Passaic County, New Jersey, USA
Same plot at Cedar Lawn cemetery

Familysearch had a death record for James:

New York, New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949
Name:   James Pettigrew
Event Type:   Death
Event Date:   17 Sep 1846
Event Place:   Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Address:   67 Nineteenth St.
Residence Place:   New York, N. Y.
Marital Status:   Unknown
Birth Year (Estimated):   1780
Birthplace:   Scotland
Cemetery:   Remo. from the City

The 1845 NYC directory has a listing, with the same address, that confirms this is Robert's brother James:  "Pettigrew, James, contractor, 67 E. Nineteenth"

The meatiest info comes from James' will, available at Ancestry.com.

New York, Wills and Probate Records, 1659-1999
Name:    James Pettigrew
Probate Place:    New York, New York, USA
Item Description:    Wills, Vol 093, 1846-1847
See page 69ff for the will.

Will written 15 Sep 1846.

Wife:  None mentioned.

Children:
Helen Pettigrew, the unmarried daughter.  She received $4000 invested in bonds & mortgages for her benefit.  After bequests to grandchildren, below, residue and remainder of estate split among all the children, or their heirs.  Helen was given control of the portions for John and William.
Margaret Shiels
James Pettigrew
John Pettigrew
William Pettigrew
Christiana Smith, widow of Samuel
Marietta Miller, wife of Thomas
late daughter Jane Robertson

Grandchildren:
William James Pettigrew, s/o James Pettigrew, $200 ($6500 today)
James Pettigrew Smith, s/o Samuel & Christiana Smith, $200
James Pettigrew Shiels, orphan, s/o Margaret Pettigrew, $300 ($9750 today)
William Alexander Robertson,  Felipe Robertson, Isabella Barbara Robertson, Unnamed children of Jane Pettigrew Robertson, deceased.  These to receive the portion their mother would have received.

Executors:  Helen Pettigrew, Christiana Smith, Thomas Miller.

I am unsure about the son James.  I found two possibilities in NYC:
(1)  This James was a stone cutter.  His wife was Sarah, b. Ireland.  Children:  John, William, Marietta, Brittanica/Fannie, Sarah E.  He was b. about 1816.  He died 29 July 1893.  His death record said his parents had been born in Scotland, but gave no names.

(2)  This James was a baker.  He was b. about 1810.  He died 21 Dec 1886.  The death record said his parents were James and Margaret, both of Scotland, which fits.  His wife was Sarah, b. NY.  Children:  Sarah M., Eugene A, Peter A.

As best as I can tell, the two other sons mentioned in the will of the elder James-- John and William--caught gold fever and left NY for California.  I believe that is who I spotted there in the 1860 census in Yuba County.  William G. b. about 1817 New York, and John H. b. about 1814 Scotland, living together and both miners.  There are California death records for them both.  They died single, no known children. 

I couldn't come up with immigration info for James or his family, so if anyone can supply that, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not a descendant, just did some research for suzilad.
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Pettigrew, 1780-1846, s/o John Petticrue/Pettigrew and Jean Henderson
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 September 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Working on the children's info gave me a clue as to the possible maiden name for their mother Margaret -- Grieve.

Familysearch:  New York, New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949
Name:   Jermel Marietta Pettigrew Miller [This is really Jennette Marietta.] 
Died 1907, aged 80.
Born Portland, Connecticut
Father:  James Pettigrew
Mother:  Mary Grieve

It says Mary, not Margaret, but I then tried looking for records for a Margaret Grieve.

Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
Parents:  James Pettigrew and Margaret Grieve
Birth/Baptism place:  Temple, Midlothian, Scotland
Children:
Jean, Birth Date    01 May 1806
Margaret, Birth Date:   18 May 1808
James, Birth Date:   01 Jul 1810

I believe this Jean is likely the Jane Robertson named in her father's 1846 will.

That's the only three birth/baptism records I could find.  If anyone can find others, please post.  Also, a marriage record for the parents, James and Margaret, would be great.

Helen seems to be the oldest sibling.  Her death record said she died 29 Jul 1880 and was 76 YO.  She was buried at Paterson, NJ.  That adds weight to the supposition that the James and Margaret Pettigrew buried in Cedar Lawn cemetery, Paterson NJ, are her parents.

Christiana, who m. Samuel Smith, d. 30 July 1847, in her 32nd year, so that means she was born about 1816.

John and William of Yuba County, CA, were born about 1814 and 1817, respectively.  John H. Pettigrew d. 6 Jan 1890, age 77.  William G. Pettigrew d. 21 Feb 1870, age 53.  Both he and Helen had G as their middle initial, which might stand for Grieve.

After their father's 1846 death, the three siblings were living together, shown in the 1848 NYC directory:

Pettigrew, Ellen G., spinster, W. 26th n. Av. 8
Pettigrew, John, contractor, W. 26th n. Av. 8
Pettigrew, William, blacksmith, W. 26th n. Av. 8

William appeared in the 1870 mortality schedule, US Census, East Bear River, Yuba County, California.  There he was G. Pettigrew, blacksmith, b. Connecticut.  His parents were both foreign born, but it did not give the country of their birth.

Helen's probate record gives some further clues about her siblings: 
27 Sept 1880, petition for probate. Helena P. Smith, niece, was executrix of the estate.

Helen Pettigrew's heirs and next of kin:
John Pettigrew, brother, residing in state of California, exact location unknown.
James Pettigrew, brother, residing at 312 W. 32nd St., New York City.
Jennette M.(Marietta) Miller, sister, wife of Thomas Miller, residing at Flushing, Queens County, NY.
Helena P. Smith & Alexander Smith, children of Christiana Smith (deceased), sister.  These two lived in Brooklyn, NY.
Isabelle B. Phillips & Felipe N. Robertson, children of Jane Robertson (deceased), sister.  These two lived in Mexico.  Isabelle was wife of Charles D. Phillips.

So, Helen's brothers John and William did head west to California, sometime after 1848.

Like William's California death record, Jennette Marietta Pettigrew Miller's death record also said she was b. Connecticut (Middlesex County), so there may be truth to both.  The 1880 census had Jeannette M. Miller, b. 1821 Connecticut, parents born Scotland.  She was living in Flushing, NY, with her husband Thomas, b. 1810 Scotland.  Their children were:  Thomas, John, Jean/Jane, Marietta.

There was a James Pettigrew in the 1820 census at Chatham, Middlesex County, Connecticut.  There were ten people in the household, and the age groups fit the children of James and Margaret, 5 girls and 3 boys.

If that 1820 census record is for this James of East Lothian, then the family may have come to America sometime between 1814 and 1817, and settled first in Connecticut before joining James' brother Robert in New York City.  There James became a successful contractor working on municipal road projects.

Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.