Author Topic: John Alexander & Mary Carnegie, Crofter & Weaver, Fettercairn around the 1800s  (Read 10788 times)

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to trace my relatives John Alexander & Mary Carnegie through the Fettercairn OPR but it is an uphill struggle as the two children I know about were born about 1807 and 1815 from the ages given on their DCs.  They are in the 1841 Census at East Hill of Craigo, Logie Pert.  Alex., Alexander,  William his son and Elizabeth his aunt as William's mother died a few days after he was born in 1835.  The 1851 Census states that Alex Alexander, age 44 years was born Fettercairn, KCD.  The DC for Elizabeth also points to the above John Alex., & Mary Carnegie.  Unfortunately there is nothing I can find that points to a place in Fettercairn or a birth record in the OPR that I can work from.  I have an OPR marriage of a John Alexander and a Mary Carnegie at Marykirk 15 July 1798 ("both of this Parish") so it could be them!

The only hope I have at this stage is that there were other siblings so if anybody can see these names in their family tree I would be most grateful of a line from you.  I may be missing something but what is it?

nw_whiskers

Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
Re: John Alexander & Mary Carnegie, Crofter & Weaver, Fettercairn around the 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I have Carnegies on my tree from Bervie in 1800c  My 3 x Gt Grandmother, Catherine was born in c1808 an d she married John Allan.  Her father was Alexander Carnegie.

Regards Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John Alexander & Mary Carnegie, Crofter & Weaver, Fettercairn around the 1800s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 13 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Not that it helps much, but some have a James Alexander(1815 - 1869) with parents John and Mary
Carnegie  :-\
Wife Ann Turnbull Taylor(married 1849 Dunnichen).
There is a death for a James Alexander 1869 Logie Pert Angus , born c1817.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lynda,  We are given from Alex Alex., son of JA & MC Death Cert that John Alexander was from Fettercairn, Crofter/Weaver which is more than sparse to work from as we have no record of births for Alex Alex b ~ 1806 and his sister Elizabeth Alex b ~ 1815.  We have the death certificates for both of them and they say the same thing about John Alex and Mary Carnegie.  There could have been more members in that family but we have yet to find a trace of them.  We see from the Horse Tax Records ~ 1797 that a number of Alexander familes were on the Glen Esk side of the Fettercairn Parish and that some of them went to the Edzel Church.  An Alex Alex was at Hallhill Farm and David Alex at Balfour Farm.  The Glen Esk connect is at best speculation but we keep working on it!  We know that there are a number of Carnegie Families in that area as well.  There are Carnegie Families up and around Craigo and as you say up at Bervie as well.

Unfortunately, we have nothing specific to go forward with at the moment but we do appreciate your interest in the subject.

Somebody may come up with a link out of the blue into the subject of John Alexander & Mary Carnegie or the two children Alexander & Elizabeth that we know about so we have NOT given up hope yet!  Are there more children in that family is the open question as they could give us the tiny little clue to help us move forward with the subject?

Many thanks for your interest,  nw_whiskers

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dear Ev,  Many thanks for James Alexander 1815 - 1869 as he looks an interesting prospect for me to follow up on.  It is a new lead that is well worth following up on even if it fails to pan out in the end.  Nothing ventured ..... I will most certainly post the results!

Many thanks,  nw_whiskers

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dear ev,  James Alexander d 1869 is a GREAT lead for me as his parents on the DC are exactly what I see on John Alex., and Elizabeth Alex., DCs  Yes, they could easily be brothers & a sister so I will work on the North Craigo, Logie Pert connection and hopefully bring new life to a very old investigation that ran out of new ideas long ago.  The Brechin or Montrose Newspapers from that time may help for starters.  The 1861, 1851, 1841 Census are possible and where buried is more fertile ground ... perhaps one of the Montrose ones as Ogilvie Taylor the brother in law is from near there.  I can but hope to find a birth record for him ~ 1816/7 (Fettercairn or Edzel perhaps) as that would be a perfect find!

Any more gems on the subject would be most welcome!

Many thanks for your help,  nw_whiskers.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dear ev,  The 1861 Census gives James Alexander, age 46, North Craigo, Logie Pert as Hedger & Woodcutter born Kincardinshire, Fettercairn so that fits in with John and Elizabeth Alex., just fine which is great.  I have plenty of more work to do on this one but it is all going in the right direction.

Many thanks for you input,  nw_whiskers

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 17 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi nw_whiskers

I am researching the Ogilvie/Ogilvy TAYLOR who you mention as being the brother in law of one of the ALEXANDER family.

Our Ogilvie TAYLOR was born about 1816 in Strathcaro according to census and died in Montrose in 1881. He married Jane TURNBULL in Dunnichen in 1840

Can you point me in the direction of the document that refers to Ogilvie as a brother in law please? We have been unable to trace a birth/baptism record for him and any information may help.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mgeneas,  The only reference I have to Ogilvie Taylor is on the "James Alexander" death certificate 18 Nov 1869 at Logie Pert.  The J Alex death certificate witness was Ogilvie Taylor, brother in law (not present) Rosemount Cottages by Montrose.  James Alexander was married to Ann Turnbull Taylor and her parents were Robert Taylor and Jane Laing according to her death certificate dated 1 December 1904 (aged 80 years).  The witness for her death certificate was James Beattie, son in law.

The parents of the above Ogilvie Taylor and Ann Turnbull Taylor are Robert Taylor and Jane Laing from Dunnichen.  Ann Turnbull Alexander nee. Taylor is in the 1861 Census (46) for Logie Pert.  If it helps Ann Turnbull Taylor was born around 1904 - 80 = 1824 if the 80 years is correct.

You may well find a line on "your" Ogilvie Taylor on 1861 Census or earlier ones for around that area somewhere!

Best wishes, nw_whiskers