Author Topic: John Alexander & Mary Carnegie, Crofter & Weaver, Fettercairn around the 1800s  (Read 10787 times)

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Alexander & Mary Carnegie, Crofter & Weaver, Fettercairn around the 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 February 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mgeneas, Two Little extracts from the 1841 Census and 1851 Census yield some "very interesting" nuggets that requires me to revise my thinking on Ann Turnbull Alexander nee. Taylor and her connection to Ogilvie Taylor at Rosemount, Montrose.  I even know where Rosemount is so I will have a look around there the next time I am passing.

Have you any clues to where he was buried at Hillhead or at one of the Montrose burial sites?

Best wishes, nw_whiskers
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Alexander & Mary Carnegie, Crofter & Weaver, Fettercairn around the 1800s
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 February 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I have the death record of Ogilvie/Ogilvy Taylor, master gardener

He died Jul 26th 1881 at 11 Market St, Montrose.
Father Robert TAYLOR deceased ??? journeyman
Mother Jane TAYLOR maiden surname DUKE
registered by Jane Anne TAYLOR - his unmarried daughter

Now, I suspect that the name of the mother is incorrect (that Jane Anne was a bit muddled) because DUKE is the name of Ogilvie's mother in law, in fact Ann DUKE married James TURNBULL 1816 in Stracathro.
So if the Jane is correct for his mother he MAY in fact be the son of Robert Taylor and Jane Laing

I have no idea where he was buried.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Cross checking the death certificates is paying dividends which is good as mistakes are sometimes are made in the stress of the moment.  Ogilvie Taylor may be buried locally (Hillside area) or in one of several sites in Montrose but we have more than enough to work with for now.

I had Robert Taylor age 62 farmer and Jean Taylor age 58 at Lethem Den & Braes from 1841 Census but we need to keep that one on review to see if it is correct.

I happen to have a some pictures of the Headstones from Stracathro so the Taylor, Laing and Turnbull surnames are certainly represented so we will see how that fits in if at all.  For example a large headstone has a Euphemia Turnbull born around 1867 on it so it will be interesting if she fits in somewhere along the way but it could become a distraction.

Best wishes,  nw_whiskers

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 17:26 GMT (UK) »
This is part of Ogilvy's death record, I cannot make out his father's  occupation though the second word seems to be journeyman

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it's "Joiner"? - the J is the same as the J in Journeyman and the R at the end of Market Gardener  trails away along the bottom line in the same way?

Best wishes,

breaky.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
You could be right breaky - thanks

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Well done Breaky you may be correct as Robert Taylor is called a Millwright in one census and a Journeyman in another so Joiner could well be the right answer.  If we accept the Joiner as correct we can focus on the REAL problem of establishing what the records support on Ogilvie (Ogilvy!) Taylor.  The IGI Micro Fiche has:
Taylor, Ogilvy, Jean Turnbull, H, M, 14 Jun 1840, Angus, Dunnichan
Taylor, Ogilvy, Jean Turnbull, H, M, 14 Jun 1840, Angus, Montrose
Taylor, Ogilvy, Ogilvy Taylor/Jean Turnbull, M, B, 17 Aug 1856, Angus, Montrose so that is looking hopeful.
The next part comes from the Ogilvy Taylor's death certificate (as I understand it!):
Robert Taylor is his father the Joiner and his Mother in Law is Ann Duke.  The DC witness got it wrong on the day but Ann Duke was married to James Turnbull in 1816 at Stracathro.  So who was his Mother?  A "possible answer" comes from another death certificate.  According to this DC from 18 Nov 1869 James Alex., was married to Ann Turnbull Taylor who was Ogilvie Taylor's "sister". He was the witness for that one.  Her (Ann T.T.) parents are given as Robert Taylor and Jean Laing.
They are also in the IGI:
Taylor Robert, Jean Laing, H, M, 24 Oct 1801, Angus, Stracathro.
Taylor Robert, Robert Taylor/Jean Laing, M, B, 2 Nov 1801, Angus, Stracathro. The "tough testing" question I have in my mind is - did this Robert Taylor and Jean Laing have Ann Turnbull Taylor in 1824? If so where is the record to support this story?  Yes, it is another visit to the IGI to see if it all stacks up correctly. 

Best wishes and sleep well,  nw_whiskers.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ogilvy Taylor, Master Gardener was probably named after Wm Ogilvy Esq, Farmer at Stracathro as the Taylors ran out of family First Names or they were trying to "hanging in" with Wm Ogilvy Esq.

nw_whiskers

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Or perhaps he was the illegitimate son of William Ogilvy and a Taylor girl!  ::)